Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Sping is in the air in Witch Falls, and while Cassie and Michael are sharing their Light with the world; most of our favorite Magi are enjoying their home town adventures with most of their favorite people - whether that is at work or play! Whether at home or elsewhere in the world, there is a lot going on for all of our favorite Magi as we head through Spring toward the first holiday weekend of the summer season at the end of May. You won't want to miss out on any of the action; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Cassie's Journal - September 3, 2015



It’s been another beautiful day, and while it hasn’t been birthday party fun around here compared to yesterday; I have had a really great day!  This is a double report, though; so let’s back up a day and get this thing started!

Wednesday morning Tai Chi by the river was especially great because Miranda got to sleep in late instead of being at the Inn for the breakfast prep work; and she came out with Michael to enjoy the entertainment with her morning coffee.  Yes, we’re out there early, but that still was sleeping in for her.  I was just glad that we got to do good morning and birthday hugs and kisses with her – and help to make the start to her day just a bit more fun.

Miranda did need to get to the Inn eventually, so she went home to get ready to do that after our Tai Chi, but Michael stayed to have breakfast with us before going home to get ready for his football practice.  I helped out with both sides of the breakfast work; got ready for cheerleading practice; and met up with Rowen at her house before going on to the school.  Michael had needed to be there a bit earlier than we did; but only because he was taking a turn helping out with hauling equipment out to the field.  Our cheerleading practice went great, and I had fun with that; but then it was time to get to work for the afternoon – and that didn’t end up being much family business work because Mom and Aunt Leanne drafted me to help out with kid control and holiday weekend chores at two houses.  That kept me busy through until we all needed to get ready for Miranda’s birthday dinner party at the Inn, and while there was a lot going on, the work details are really boring; and I won’t put you to sleep with them.

The dinner party wasn’t starting until six-thirty; with the meal at seven; so we were able to work late too and even get a bit of help from Dad after he was finished at the office for the day.  We were all cleaned up, changed, and at the Inn a few minutes before six-thirty; and I went into the kitchen to hang out with Michael and Rebecca while Mom and Dad were busy with the meet and greet in the dining room.  We’d already planned on springing a kid-free night sleepover on Miranda and Jacob long before then, but that plan turned into a teen camping adventure by the time we all headed into the dining room to have dinner with our families.

Lucas had come back into town for the dinner, and since he had football again in the morning anyway; it was easy to get him added to the camper guest list; Mom and Dad approved the change in plans; and we added Tim, Rowen, Jenny, and Joel before dinner even started.  The biggest issue we had at that point was getting the camp set up and putting everything together for that when we couldn’t even start doing it until after the party.

Miranda’s dinner was next, though; and we all had a really great time having that meal together.  Jacob split his time between the kitchen and dining room while the food was still being cooked, and quite a few members of the staff took turns working and having dinner with us; but Miranda, Michael, and Rebecca were all off-duty during the meal – and Miranda was done for the day by then.  Most of the Bassett clan was there for the meal – or at least everyone in and around town was.  Add in fifty or sixty friends and their family members; and it was quite the little mid-week event.  The full menu wasn’t available for our dinner, but the half-dozen options that Jacob had picked to make the work easier covered the needs of all of the guests – including the younger kids.

The dinner, dessert, and all of the usual birthday fun took about an hour and a half to get through.  I wasn’t in the middle of the action for that because Michael and I were on kid control duty with some of the other teens; but the parents had fun roasting Miranda; and she loved her gifts that ranged from gag gifts and cute little trinkets to the beautiful and sparkly.  Michael and Lucas had let Rebecca and I take care of our gift choices; we recruited Abby to help out with that; and Miranda loved our gifts a lot too.

Ours weren’t the only gifts from Palmer’s that Miranda was given; but she wasn’t allowed to open one of them in front of everyone; so I’ll guess that there’s a good chance that our gifts weren’t her favorite new additions to her wardrobe – or Jacob’s.  Let’s definitely not take that thought any farther and move along!

Michael and Rebecca still needed to help with the clean-up at the Inn after dinner; so the rest of us campers got to work at my house – and ran around getting overnight bags packed and rounding up everything else we needed for our last-minute camping adventure.  I helped with getting the tents set up; Dad helped us with getting a fire ready to go and lit; and Mom rounded up some snacks and drinks for us to have at the campfire.  We had all of the work done by the time that Michael and Rebecca joined us after getting their own overnight bags from home; and we were all ready by then to just sit around the campfire and relax for a while.  Mom, Dad, Ethan, and Ehlana joined us there for a little while, but then headed inside so that the twins could go to bed and Mom and Dad could get started on the work they each needed to get done tonight.

Michael and I took turns playing  music on my guitar; we all had fun singing and telling campfire stories; and we sat up and talked way too late before putting out the fire and going for a bedtime swim.  It was heading toward two o’clock by the time we split up and went into our tents; and now we’re to the part of the night that explains why I didn’t even have my computer with me out there – and didn’t get around to my last update until Wednesday morning.

That’s right; we had a co-ed camping night!

Jenny and Joel were particularly happy about that because he’ll be heading home on Friday after work and they’ll both be moving on to other relationships after that.  I’d be a mess if I was in that situation, but it actually seems to work for them just fine; so it doesn’t matter whether I could have a relationship like that or not when they’re happy.  That isn’t exactly the right word for them when it comes to Joel’s return home; but I can assure you that they were and are happy about getting to spend the night together.

Ditto that for Rebecca and Lucas, Rowen and Tim, and Michael and me; though it is obviously different for the six of us because we’ll all still be together next week.  That doesn’t change the fact that an all-night cuddle-in-sleeping-bags session wasn’t amazing, and for Michael and I; there was a fair bit of teen-rated play time for two that kept us entertained until we eventually had our little nap until dawn.  With nearby tents around us, that play time needed to be very quiet; but it was also fairly high on my personal hot meter and I am so glad that I have a photographic memory! ;^)

We were still fairly tired when we woke up and got ready for Tai Chi; but we managed to be out of our tent before Mom, Dad, Ethan, and Ehlana met us by the river.  The workout helped to get us going; Mom and Dad went back inside right away and pretended that they didn’t know that their backyard campers had been paired up for the night in boy-girl couples.  They cooked breakfast while Michael and I started working on the camp clean-up by tearing down our tent and making sure that we made enough noise to wake our friends.

The work part of the morning wasn’t newsworthy; but we did all have fun.  By the time I wrote that last micro-update, we’d had breakfast in the middle of the camp teardown; took turns having bathroom time and getting ready for the day; and dealt with all of the work in the kitchen too.  Moving on from the end of that little update; Rowen, Jenny, and I headed for the school and our cheerleading practice.  The boys were either off to work, at the school, or ready to go there with us by then; and Rebecca headed home to do some work there before going on to the Inn while we were busy.

Anna-Marie decided that we were ready for the game by the time tomorrow night by the time we were finished our practice today; so we’ll have the day off on Friday until we need to be at the school for the trip to Maple Valley.  That worked for all of us; since we’ll be busy with getting ready for the holiday weekend too.  Most of us are juggling work, family, and part-time jobs in addition to the football game and weekend baseball games; so one less thing to do really helps a lot.

I’d suggest that we keep Anna-Marie as team captain for another year or three, but I doubt she’ll opt for repeating her senior year a couple of times over going off to college.

While I’ve skipped over the details of our practice, the important news is that we had fun; and I think we’re having an even better start to our season than we had last year.  The fun level is really high; our routines are stronger; and Anna-Marie lets Rowen and I play around with some sideline improv and cooler tricks for our routines that feed our apparent need for extreme action.

Don’t worry, Mom – if we mess up and get hurt; I can take care of healing either of us! ;^)

Moving along, I was home in time for lunch with Mom, Aunt Leanne, Grandma, Grandpa, and the twins.  They were having a planning lunch for the holiday weekend work; and Mom was happy to find out that I have Friday morning off – from cheerleading.

Maybe I shouldn’t have told her about that, but she’d have found out anyway; so going and hiding somewhere for a morning off wouldn’t have worked anyway – even if it is a nice thought!

Taking the afternoon off today might have been nice too, but I did yard chores instead.  I mowed the lawn and weeded gardens while Mom was busy with other chores and a shopping trip to avoid as much of the busy that’ll be happening around town all day tomorrow.  She’ll still need to do the bakery order pick-up and some other running around tomorrow anyway; but at least she won’t have to fight the crowds at the grocery store or Emporium.

I wrapped up my yard work by dinnertime; went for a swim with Ethan and Ehlana; got changed; and then we had dinner out on the back porch – a burgers, hot dogs, and cold salads meal that was quick, easy, and didn’t require much of a clean-up.  That was a good thing because we had two baseball practices going on tonight.  The coed practice was moved due to Miranda’s birthday dinner; since most of the players were at the Inn instead.  The change wasn’t an issue for ball diamond space, since the only teams needing to practice this week are the ones in the championship games.  The only issue we had was with babysitting services; and the available grandparents, and two aunts were drafted to help out with that at the park while Rowen and I were busy at the school ball diamond with our practice.

The Piranha are ready for our big game, and while I missed most of Mom and Dad’s practice, from what I did see; they look ready for their game too.  While I’m really glad that we had a good practice and it was fun spending that time with Rowen and the rest of our team mates; I also wish that I’d had that time available for some of the family business work I needed to get done tonight.  Mom, Dad, and I didn’t even get started on our ‘homework’ until nearly nine-thirty; which is why I overdid it again today by using a time phase to get all of my work done without staying up all night again to do that.  Even doing that, I still had to skip spending any time with Michael; and he went home after the Inn closed for the night instead of coming over here for a couple of hours first.

After keeping him, um, awake late last night; he needed the extra rest, but we’re also running out of summer fast; and won’t get to have a lot of alone time during the holiday weekend.  We’ll be wishing that we’d had the extra time together by next week; but then we feel that way most weeks anyway.  Instead of getting side-tracked, though; let’s keep moving along so that I can wrap this up and get to sleep soon.

I worked in the office, and Ethan and Ehlana played in the archives while Mom and Dad worked too.  My time phase included all of us; we all got a lot done; and Mom ordered me to let it drop at eleven o’clock – once we’d all done a full night worth of work.  Dad might even be able to leave work early tomorrow thanks to our high-powered work session; so I’m glad to have helped out with that even if I am exhausted now.  Mom, Dad, and I all got in on the bedtime scene with Ethan and Ehlana, and after getting them tucked in for the night; I came up to my room and got ready for bed.

There weren’t any new email for me to deal with as I got started on my nightly computing, but I did do a Hathorne Industries check ahead of the long weekend to make sure that there weren’t any imminent plans to travel our way.  I know that we haven’t had a problem with them in years now; but we won’t stop trying to keep an eye on them anyway; and we will keep learning everything we can about their operations around the world so that we can intervene whenever possible.

Okay, that’s pretty much it for now.  I’m going to have another really long day tomorrow between the work around here and the football game in Maple Valley.  I’ll miss most of the inbound family fun tomorrow night, but even time phasing can’t help me out with that, and if Mom knows a way to be two places at once; she hasn’t taught me how yet.

How cool would that be if we could? ;^)

I’m too tired even for some science fiction or fantasy musings, which means that it really is time for me to crash now; so, until next time...

...May the Magi Force be with you!