Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Sping is in the air in Witch Falls, and while Cassie and Michael are sharing their Light with the world; most of our favorite Magi are enjoying their home town adventures with most of their favorite people - whether that is at work or play! Whether at home or elsewhere in the world, there is a lot going on for all of our favorite Magi as we head through Spring toward the first holiday weekend of the summer season at the end of May. You won't want to miss out on any of the action; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Cassie's Journal - January 3, 2014



It was very cold again this morning, and since everyone had a full day of holiday gossip; the weather was back up near the top of the Ridge River grapevine network.  We’re supposed to get a bit of a break from the deep cold for a day or two – including the near-freezing high we hit this afternoon; but then we’re also supposed to get a bit more snow on Saturday and then start plunging back into the bitter-cold by sometime on Sunday.

The cold didn’t really affect my day unless you want to count a couple of chilly walks with Rowen.  We won’t count needing to help my boyfriend warm up from his early morning walk over for Tai Chi because that was a lot of fun for both of us.  He was helping out with some jobs at the Inn all morning; and headed home to get ready to do that right after Tai Chi.  I haven’t done a Tai Chi update in a while; so let’s do that before moving along.

Now that we’ve mostly been exercising indoors for the past two months, Michael, Ethan, and Ehlana are really doing great learning the different forms and postures.  They won’t be able to just come out to the river in the spring and show all of those new skills off like they can when we’re in the house and alone; but we will kick things up a notch or three to make our morning exercises more fun for all of us.  Mom and Dad are great together, and I think that Michael and I will be that good together or better; but Ethan and Ehlana are a bit scary they’re so good.  They assure us that it’s a twin thing, and I don’t doubt that; but that doesn’t make watching them any less amazing.

After Michael left to go home and get ready for his morning at the Inn, I helped Mom with making breakfast while Dad got ready for work and Ethan and Ehlana got changed and cleaned up.  While we don’t usually do hot morning meals on weekdays, we added eggs and hash browns to the menu; along with bakery croissants and muffins that we warmed up right before we sat down to eat.  Ethan and Ehlana talked our parents into inviting Naomi, Aiden, and Sophia over for a sleepover; and got my okay to use the lounge for their movie night – and possibly to camp there overnight too.  I thought that was a great idea, but for some reason, Dad had a problem with my suggestion that Michael, Tim, Rowen, and I could do that kind of co-ed sleepover next weekend.

I wonder why?

Mom and I took care of the breakfast clean-up too, and then I gave my rooms a once-over; grabbed a shower; started a load of laundry; and had a visit with Mom in the office while waiting to move that load from the washer to the dryer.  She was doing a family business work morning, so Ethan and Ehlana were playing on their iPads while she did that.  Once I had the dryer going, I headed out and over to meet up with Rowen and the computer store.

We weren’t doing any work there, but went next door with Owen to the old Electric and Light store to take a look around.  Those stores, like most in town, are very close together; and part of the renovation will be to connect them.  That’ll actually be one of the biggest jobs; though there are a couple of other changes that Owen wants to make, and those three jobs will be about half of the renovation time – as well as among the first jobs.  While, as with their own place, the Electric and Light business had both a store and workshop-storage room; the data center won’t have a store.  Most of their business will be contracted, and what little local business it will have they can handle through the computer store.

After looking around today, I’d say that their two-month schedule should be easy to work with; and they’ll end up having lots of time for the servers and network infrastructure that Owen will install himself – though it sounds as though he may contract Jenny’s father to help out if he needs the extra hands for wiring everything.  He’s definitely like a kid in a candy store when it comes to the new toys he’s getting to play with for this – just as he still is when building the custom notebooks for Mom.  Some of the equipment is already arriving; and he’ll be building servers and the rest of the systems over the next month or so while the renovations are done; and then have two or three weeks to get everything installed and up and running.

After doing our tour of the future data center, Rowen and I stopped in to visit my grandparents for a while; and then she came home with me for lunch.  We were meeting up with Michael and Tim for some more tobogganing after lunch; and Ethan and Ehlana were allowed to go with us today – along with Naomi and Aiden.  We added Jessica, Ryan, and Sophia to the group at the last minute; and then headed over to our favorite hill along the ridge at a bit after one o’clock.

I know that some of my friends and classmates don’t like hanging out with their younger or older siblings, but we had a blast with our little gang; and Rowen even had fun when Patrick, Scott, and Lindsay joined us to play too.  That was partly because the two pranksters only needed to get one look from Tim to dissuade them from even attempting a second prank – and had them aborting the first one.  There’s one more little bonus for Rowen in the boyfriend department!

We played for nearly two hours; brought everyone back to my house; and did the hot chocolate, snacks, and sledding recap with Mom before it was time for Jessica and Ryan to go home; and for Michael, Rowen, and me to go with Tim to his house.  I needed to pack an overnight bag and drop it off at Rowen’s on the way; but we were still home with time to play video games for a while until Tim’s parents got home from the shop.

I really liked getting to spend more time with Tim’s parents tonight.  Michael obviously knows them very well, and Rowen is getting to know them better since starting to date Tim, but even when we’ve had our study sessions at Landry’s Auto; I haven’t spent all that much time just talking with Martin or Tracey.  Between dinner and the Bowl games tonight; we got to have hours of chat time and fun with them.  They’re different than my parents, but then they’re alike in many ways too.  Tim’s father is definitely more like my Dad than his older brother.  Tracey is more outgoing, but then that’s not as obvious compared to her very active and enthusiastic sister-in-law.

What was most interesting for me with Tim’s parents was getting to discover those little things about them – and people in general – that you don’t get to know from casual acquaintance.  That kind of understanding and familiarity comes a little bit at a time; and we moved that along tonight.  I don’t think I’ll get into that tonight, but that’s only because I want to write a bit about Magi in a mixed family instead.

By the time any of the teens involved can read this in the future, it won’t matter; though I still have issues with the Magi council’s secrecy when it comes to Magi kids and teens.

Tim’s family is different than mine, Rowen’s, or Michael’s because his father knows more about Magi than Jacob does; but he also isn’t a Magi either.  He and Jacob both know more than Rowen’s parents do; but since Martin was there when his wife threw a combine off of his brother and watched Mom, Uncle Adam, and me heal Lee; he’s seen more Magi action than possibly every non-Magi in town that knows about us.  I don’t know how much else Tracey has shared with him; but I think that it’s a safe bet that he knows more about his son’s abilities than Jacob knows about Michael.

Okay, that news won’t be a surprise for any Magi in the future; but I know it would be for certain teens if they knew about it right here in my now.

That’s one of the reasons why I’m writing about this tonight.  Rowen’s parents know almost nothing about her abilities, so things like dating wouldn’t have that added component to them, but that’s different for Tim’s parents; and I wonder how that affects mixed couples when it comes to having their children enter the dating scene.  I would expect that two-Magi parents would naturally hope for a Magi partner for their children; but that might not be the case for Tim’s parents.  In Martin’s case, he may not even know enough about all of the Magi to even speculate about that, though he does know about me; and that’s a mental trail I’ll skip walking along.  He probably does wonder how the two fired-up and hyper-active members of our little teen foursome ended up with two of the quietest teens our age instead of together; but then he isn’t the only person in town to wonder about that.

Don’t take that the wrong way, because Tim’s parents absolutely adore Rowen; and think that she’s very good for him – especially in the education department as his grades improve the more time he spends with Rowen and me.  That may sound odd when Tim has had the advantage of being best friends with one of the best students in the school his entire life; but there’s no doubt that Rowen is having more of an impact on him than Michael ever could.

One other thing that I wanted to mention is that Tim’s parents are very proud of him.  That can be said for most parents, but the reason I bring it up is because Tim is in a similar situation to his father.  While Martin was over-shadowed by his big brother, Tim has that issue with his older cousins; and his best friend is a top student and extremely talented in both music and sports.  Sure, he has the whole Magi thing, and it’s probable that neither Tracey nor Martin know about Michael; but that isn’t something they can brag about.  What I’m getting at is that Tim is outwardly a pretty normal, average kid when it comes to his ‘public’ self.  Yes, he’s also popular, handsome, and out-going; but I find it interesting the different approaches each of us kid, teen, and adult Magi take to developing our personal and public lives.

Oh, and by the time you read this, Tracey; your son is going to be more than the best you ever dreamed or hoped for.  Yes, Ethan, Ehlana, and I do know something; and no, I can’t tell you about it now – and maybe not even all of it in the future.

So we had a finger-food dinner that was a mix of options from Chinese food to wings and potato skins; and then the teens in the house got to do the clean-up despite Tim’s protests about hosting – not that he really tried to get out of the work all that hard.  He may talk tough, but I’ll guess that his mother gets what she wants from both of her favorite boys pretty much every time.  That’s something refreshingly cool about Tim’s family – it’s the girl in their trio who gets spoiled by the guys instead of the only child.

Yeah, Tim does get to have some pretty cool toys, but then so do his parents; and the girl who was given a bedroom suite by her adoptive father is not going to comment on anyone else when it comes to being spoiled.

We finished the clean-up shortly after the first game started, and then we joined Tim’s parents in the living room to watch football for the rest of the evening.  Martin, Tim, and Michael had fun talking football together while Tracey, Rowen, and I cuddled with our boys and often had our own chat going on ex-football.  This was the first time I started to feel that sense of family and belonging while at Tim’s house; and I hope that we get to have more nights like this.

There really isn’t much else to report for that part of our night.  The guys flipped between games, and Michael, Rowen, and I stayed until the end of the second game before Michael walked Rowen and me home to her house.  It was colder again by then, so he and I didn’t spend much time on our goodnight kiss; and Rowen assured me that the one she shared with Tim before we left was better – mostly because they made some excuse to go off to his room so they could take care of that without company watching them.

We weren’t surprised to find out that Scott was spending the night too, and since he and Patrick had watched the bowl games with Owen; they were still awake and fired up.  What was surprising is that they were good while we were hanging out together with Rowen’s parents and having a bedtime snack; and they didn’t even try to prank us or play any jokes at all.

Maybe they’ve made a New Year’s resolution not to do that anymore.  We can hope.

So after that little visit, Rowen and I got ready for bed; and have been chatting and surfing the web since climbing into bed for the night.  We talked about everything from our quickly dwindling supply of vacation days to the joys of alone time with our boyfriends while Rowen browsed her way through YouTube vids and I’ve done a light version of my nightly computing.  I’ve skipped talking with her about most of this journal update for obvious reasons; but she’s preoccupied with the alone time she’s hoping to have with Tim tomorrow night while Michael and I have our own plans for one last play night at my house before we’ll be going back to school on Monday.

While we do have two days left before that inevitable event, we don’t have any holiday-type plans for the weekend.  It’ll be a normal work weekend for Michael; I’ll have my normal Saturday chores; and Rowen will be at the computer store for her usual Saturday morning shift.  We’re going to get together with Michael and Tim during Michael’s afternoon break for a study session; though Rowen, Michael, and I all pretty much have our holiday assignments finished anyway, so that’s mostly for show – and to help Tim.  I may go and hang out at the Inn for a while too, but this should mostly be a quiet, rest-up weekend.

I won’t see Grandma and Grandpa again before they leave early in the morning; but I’ll keep track of them whenever they’re travelling; and it’ll be fun to see how difficult it is for me to keep track of their links when they’re so far away – especially in India and Pakistan.  Since many of these trips are to places they probably wouldn’t have travelled to on their own; I’m really glad that they get to have those experiences now – even though we miss them a lot while they’re away.

That’s all I have for now, so I’m going to put my computer away and let Rowen chat me off to sleep.  I don’t want to be too tired for that Michael and me time; or anything else we end up doing this weekend.

Live long and prosper, fellow Magi of the Light!