Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** All of your favorite Magi Masters will be staying close to home as we head into summer! For Cassie and Michael, while their work will continue from home too, they will also be helping their best friends with getting ready for their wedding and moving into their new home - along with all of the other adventures ahead of them with family and friends! You will not want to miss out on all of the fun as life in Witch Falls heats up right along with the summer weather; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Cassie's Journal - January 13, 2014



I have a fair bit of news to cover today; but let’s begin with the travel reports.

First up would be Dad’s trip to Crystal Springs.  Mom, Ethan, Ehlana, and I were all up early to see him off; and we even added in an early chat with Grandma and Grandpa so that he wouldn’t miss that one – especially since he’ll miss all of the morning chats for the rest of the week.

While we’re on that topic, the next trip is going to be Mom’s overnight trip to the city tomorrow.  Naomi’s third birthday is on Tuesday too, and Ehlana is staying with her after the party for a sleepover; so Ethan’s doing a sleepover with Aiden.  Aunt Leanne was happy to have me stay with her and Uncle Adam – and help with Zack; so that cleared Mom’s parental calendar for the night.  As usual, no details of non-public plans are needed or wanted by the kids involved; but we hope our parents have fun.

Grandma and Grandpa were back to work again today after taking the weekend off for some sightseeing.  Their second week in India is going to be one of the busier for them; though that’s as much because of travel times as number of appointments and meetings.  While all of the charity-focused trips are important, and that work one of the main goals of our family business; the work that Grandma and Grandpa are doing for the businesses is proving even more valuable in a lot of ways – and their efforts certainly show up on our financial bottom line.  Since that is what counts to pay for all of our charity work; I’m really glad that they’re as interested in that part of the travel opportunities as they are for the charities.

Finally, on the travel front; the ‘girls’ weekend away’ trip has pretty much been finalized.  As usual, Mom and Aunt Leanne are coordinating the weekend trip to California that is going to be a combined visit to see Barb and a birthday celebration for Patricia.  There will be ten women going along; they’ll leave Friday morning; and get home late Sunday night.  While most of the women are in on it, and helped with the planning; it will be a gift-surprise for three of the girls – Liz, Hannah, and Stacey Burroughs.  Inviting the new Pastor’s wife along will likely make the gossip network around here, but I think that Stacey will love the surprise; and will have a blast with her new friends.

Rowen and I will be wishing we were with them, but then so will just about every other woman in town – especially since they’ll be away for the Super Bowl weekend.  With Miranda away, I’ll guess that I’ll be helping out at the Inn on Super Bowl Sunday; though rumor has it that Jacob may be doing something a bit different this year while Miranda’s away with the girls.  While Mom didn’t give me any details about that, I can’t help getting a mental picture of a guys’ night, finger-food-only buffet table; a couple of big screens with the game on; and maybe some video gaming nooks with yet more football action going on.

I’ll try not to think about that too much between now and then.  That’s all the travel news; so let’s move on to the daily update.

After Dad left this morning, Mom had three cuddle buddies until we needed to get up again and start our usual weekday morning routine.  Michael came over for Tai Chi, and then hurried off to grab some food before heading off to his weight training at the school.  I’ve thought about going along sometime just for the experience; but I’ll wait a while for that and avoid the risk of damaging Michael’s rep by having his girlfriend checking up on him too soon.

Out-lifting him would be fun too; but we’ll probably never get the chance to have a little Magi-powered weight lifting competition at the school.  Lee Landry can get away with jokes about bench-pressing farm equipment – he’s got the physique for it.  I seriously doubt that anyone would believe that Tracey Landry or I could pick up combines and throw them across the room.

Anyway, Mom’s trip for tomorrow was pretty much decided on before I went to school; so she was both a happy camper and busy with the extra work she wanted to get done today now that she was going to be off playing for a day and a half or so.  NFL football playoffs were the top story around the school – at least for the guys.  There was some interesting girl chat going on too; including the re-cap of Gretchen’s party with the girls in our grade.  I was a bit surprised that Valentine’s Day is already heading toward the top of the girl chat list, but it is; and some of the teen guys could be in trouble this year if they don’t get their acts together between now and then.

It’s a bit too early for me to be thinking much about that – or late when it comes to the family business; since my Valentine’s Day work was pretty much done back in November; so let’s get back to current events.

We’re all the way back into the usual class routine now, and the modules we’re working on will mostly take us through to March Break.  For our Day One schedule, that means ongoing politics and political history for our Social Studies and History classes as we continue to work up to the big Washington D.C. trip at the end of April.  That’s another upcoming event that isn’t really on my radar yet; but Uncle Nick – Mr. Ayres – and some other teachers are working on that already; including everything from proper photo identification and documents to flights and hotel reservations.  I have enough on my plate, so keeping up with those details isn’t high on my list of priorities; but I’ll probably change my mind about that by April.

Dinner and play time at Michael’s house tonight was at the top of that list; though we had our usual after-school study session at my house first, and followed that up with some outdoor play time with Ethan and Ehlana.  It wasn’t as warm outside as it was yesterday; but still well-above freezing; and the snow melt continued all day.  We probably won’t have much snow left by next week if the forecast holds; but I’m sure winter will be back again soon enough – it’s way too early in the year to be hoping for spring.

Rowen and Tim headed for the computer store and shop when Michael and I were ready to drop Ethan and Ehlana off with Mom before back-tracking to his house.  As with breakfast on Sunday, I’m fairly sure that Jacob was going all-out with the cooking to keep distracted while missing his oldest son and future daughter-in-law.  No, Jake and Stephanie haven’t gotten engaged yet; but it’s inevitable.  Miranda, Michael, Rebecca, and I were happy to help out by eating all of the amazing food; and we really had a good couple of hours together – including the post-meal clean-up.

Michael and I did our music practices after that – both my guitar lesson and saxophone practice to get ready for music class and our first band practice of the New Year.  We don’t have the new music for that yet; but do know that our next ‘show’ will be the seniors’ Valentine’s Day party at the church reception hall.  We had an hour or so of chat time in the living room with Miranda, Jacob, and Rebecca before I went home too; but the only news I have from the rest of the night has to do with a little chat that Rebecca and I had between our music practice and hanging out in the living room.

She’d been in her room while Michael and I were in his; so I stopped in for a visit while he went on ahead to get drinks and a snack for us.  I think that it’s been building up for a while now; but Rebecca isn’t very happy with how her first year of high school is going.  A big part of that is because she and Jenny are not moving in the same circles right now; so they’re really not spending much time together outside of school.  They’re still best friends, and that isn’t going to ever change for them; but Rebecca is feeling left out.

That doesn’t mean she wishes she was on the cheerleading squad, or doing anything else that Jenny is doing this year; but she also hasn’t figured out where she fits in either.  Not having a boyfriend doesn’t bother her at all except for when it excludes her from things that Jenny and her other friends are doing.  Unfortunately, that means that she misses out on a lot of the friend-time fun – particularly on the weekends.  I didn’t help much other than being a sympathetic ear; but I am going to work on finding things that we can do together – and maybe with Rowen and some other girls – over the next few weeks.  This week will be tough with everything else I have on the go, but we do have a long weekend coming up; so a girls’ night movie and make-over could be an option.

I went home in time to do the bedtime story and snack with the twins; Mom and I did my Magi lesson after that; and then I came up to my room to get started on my usual bedtime studies and computing.  All of that ranged from fun and exciting to ultra-tedious; but there really isn’t anything new to report from any of it either.  My archive and language studies took a couple of hours, but I didn’t have much family business work to do; so it’s only a bit after one o’clock now.  I’m still well-ahead of schedule this week, so I can take the night off tomorrow if needed – though I’ll probably just work while waiting for Zack’s night-time feedings so that Aunt Leanne and Uncle Adam can sleep through the night.

I guess that’s it for now, and I’m ready for some nap time; so...

...Live long and prosper, fellow Magi of the Light!