Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Sping is in the air in Witch Falls, and while Cassie and Michael are sharing their Light with the world; most of our favorite Magi are enjoying their home town adventures with most of their favorite people - whether that is at work or play! Whether at home or elsewhere in the world, there is a lot going on for all of our favorite Magi as we head through Spring toward the first holiday weekend of the summer season at the end of May. You won't want to miss out on any of the action; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Cassie's Journal - January 11, 2014



Happy 13th Birthday, Gretchen!

We’re just about out of twelve-year olds in my class now, and after going to quite a few of the parties; I’ll have to put this one up near the top as one of the best.

Before I get to that, though; let’s do a college-teen update.  Jake and Stephanie are back in New York now; though they’re staying in a hotel tonight because their residential halls don’t open until tomorrow.  I’m sure that the decision to do their flight today had nothing to do with getting one night alone together before being split up again between now and Spring Break.  They won’t be coming home for that break either; though they haven’t decided for sure what they are going to do instead.  Violet and Dillon are doing the same thing with the hotel sleepover; while Josiah and Christina are spending part of the weekend with her family on their way back to school on Sunday.

As I inferred with yesterday’s report; my day started off fun – even though the jokes and teasing were mostly directed at me after falling asleep last night.  It really isn’t very likely that I inherited that from Mom; but I am going to need to re-evaluate my schedule and think about lightening it up just a bit.  Yeah, I know; and it probably won’t happen for me any more than it does for Mom and Dad.  Taking one or two things off of our plates usually just ends up making room for new jobs.

Work wasn’t on my mind at all while we were busy playing all day.  The fun started when we met up in front of the Inn before heading off to Crystal Springs.  We did that mostly because it didn’t make much sense for everyone to head out to Gretchen’s place only to come back through town again on our way to the city.  Her parents had recruited drivers; and had room for thirteen teens and kids; including Gretchen’s brothers and sister.  Michael, Tim, Rowen, and I were put together with Sally’s parents for the round-trip because they were two of the drivers; but Sally was with her best friend, Gretchen and their boyfriends.

Michael, Tim, and Rowen don’t really know Sally’s parents much better than I do despite going to school with her since they were five.  We do all like them, though, and had fun talking with them for the hour and a half it took us to get to the Mall – our first stop on Gretchen’s birthday itinerary.  We – the five teen couples – were set free once we were in the Mall; and had two hours to shop and wander around until we needed to meet up with our six adult chaperones and Gretchen’s brothers and sister for lunch.

By then, I could sense that the three younger kids were feeling a bit left out; so Michael and I had lunch with them and we both earned some bonus points for that both with the kids and parents.  That was more work for Michael than it was for me because Gretchen’s brothers were a handful and only wanted to hang out with him; while her sister, Wendy, was happy to chat with me while doing her best to ignore her brothers’ antics.

The movie theatre was our next stop, and while we all had the option to see anything; Gretchen picked ‘The Hunger Games – Catching Fire’, so all of her friends chose to do that with her while everyone else went to see ‘Frozen’.  My theatre experience is as limited as it is for all of my friends, so that was the same for all of us; but some of us had the added bonus newness of movies with boyfriends – or girlfriends.  Going with a bigger group of friends was new for me too, and while I wouldn’t suggest that we were at risk of getting in trouble; there was some popcorn getting tossed around, and the film wasn’t the only entertainment for the couple of hours and change we were there.  I won’t critique the movie here, but if you’re interested whenever you read this in the future, I did like it; so feel free to check it out – if it’s still available to watch it – if that’s even possible in your present.

Maybe I’ll talk to Mom about that for our archives.  Other Magi Masters haven’t done much multi-media archiving since the invention of audio and video recordings; but that doesn’t mean we couldn’t start doing that – especially with the resources we’ll soon have set up here in Witch Falls.  We don’t have to limit ourselves to written records; and our archives have survived the millennia better than most ancient knowledge.  The only issue we that might be an issue is whether the technology survives too; but that’s something to think about more deeply some other day.

Getting back to the story, though, we went to a restaurant after the movie, and while we would have helped out with Gretchen’s brothers and sister again; we were put at the one, big table that had room for all ten teens while the rest of our group was at two tables directly behind Gretchen so that we could all join in for the birthday celebration parts of that two-hour blast of happy memories.  Gretchen opened her gifts after our orders were taken and while appetizers and drinks were delivered.

I’m going to take a second here to mention that it’s a little uncomfortable for me when it comes to having my friends’ parents paying for movies and meals like we had today – though we were on our own for buying lunch at the food court.  Gretchen’s parents had seven boys including their own; and that’s got to be a little scary when it comes to feeding that many growing boys at a restaurant.  Michael was with me on that issue without talking about it, so we took it easy on our orders; but Rowen and Sally were the only other teens taking prices into account while choosing their meals; and I would have felt a lot better if I could have helped out with the bill tonight.  Maybe I can get away with an extra-special thank-you card for Gretchen’s parents.  I’ll see what Dad and Aunt Leanne think about that tomorrow.

Dinner was the last event of the day before we headed home, so after doing the cake and ice cream thing for dessert; we headed home again.  Sally’s parents dropped all of us off at Rowen’s house, but Michael and I only stayed long enough for a little front porch chat with Rowen and Tim before they went inside and I took Michael home with me.  We were back in time to have a visit with Mom, Dad, Ethan, and Ehlana; then help with getting the twins off to bed before coming up to the lounge for some alone time that included mostly not watching the first Hunger Games movie.  Okay, yes, I recorded every moment of the film into my photographic memory, but trust me; replaying the Michael and me action is way more entertaining!

Mom and Dad gave us the goodnight hugs, kisses, and ‘time for Michael to head home’ visit when they went to bed shortly before the movie ended.  You might be wondering if they caught us doing anything that might be too hot for them to handle as parents, but that won’t ever happen – and that’s one advantage for the teens that comes with our connections to each other.  I’ll always know where they are – just as they know where I am.

And ‘normal’ teens think that parental GPS tracking is unfair! ;^)

I guess that’s pretty much it for tonight.  Our goodnight hugs and kisses took a while, but Michael was on his way home before midnight; and I came back upstairs and got ready for bed right away.  The only computer check I did tonight was for email – mostly to check and make sure that my favorite, travelling college teens were somewhere safe.  For some reason, the two couples that are staying in hotels tonight only sent ‘we arrived safe’ messages with no details.  I’m sure they were probably all just tired out after long a long travel day and went to bed early.

Sleeping is likely optional; but let’s not go there or I’ll be wishing that Michael was still here with me.

It is time for me to get some sleep, though, so I’m going to wrap this up now.  Dad got some work done today, but will still be busy tomorrow; so we won’t have much going on after church.  I’ll probably spend some time with Ethan and Ehlana tomorrow afternoon, and then do the full buffet shift with Michael and Rebecca.  That’ll seem quiet compared to today, but I’m good with a lazy day; and Mom and I are going to have a very busy week while Dad’s in Crystal Springs.  With that in mind, I’m out of here; so...

...Live long and prosper, fellow Magi of the Light!