Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Sping is in the air in Witch Falls, and while Cassie and Michael are sharing their Light with the world; most of our favorite Magi are enjoying their home town adventures with most of their favorite people - whether that is at work or play! Whether at home or elsewhere in the world, there is a lot going on for all of our favorite Magi as we head through Spring toward the first holiday weekend of the summer season at the end of May. You won't want to miss out on any of the action; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Monday, January 20, 2014

Cassie's Journal - January 19, 2014



Congratulations to the Broncos, Seahawks, and their fans for winning their playoff games and making it to the Super Bowl!

Considering my general lack of enthusiasm for football, that might seem like a weird start to my update today; but that gets the football news out of the way so that I can move on to the good stuff – like our family play afternoon and the girls’ night and sleepover.

Morning hugs and kisses with Michael, Tai Chi, and breakfast at his house all made for a really good start to the day too; though I had to rush around a bit to get showered and ready for church too between Tai Chi and breakfast.  Church and Sunday school was fun and a little bit awkward as word got around quickly among the girls about our plans for tonight – with the awkward being because of the girls who wished they were going to be there too.  I’ll have to set up another night with the girls in our class to make up for that; but needed to mix it up this time because I really was thinking about Rebecca first; and she wouldn’t have had nearly as much fun if none of the girls had been her friends too.

In case you’re wondering, no, Vanessa and Nora did not give any signs of being upset at not being invited; though they might be ready to accept those invitations when I do set up that next girls’ night.  Maybe I’ll do that during March Break.  Mom and Ehlana might be okay with monthly girls’ nights, but Dad probably isn’t; and Ethan isn’t quite old enough yet to appreciate them the way he might when Ehlana and their friends are my age.

Moving along from that thought; I walked with Michael to the Inn after church, and then continued on home.  Uncle Adam, Aunt Leanne, and Zack had lunch with us, and then we had some outdoor play time at the park and a walk until it was time for the guys to go watch football.  Michael joined them for that while on his afternoon break, and Mom, Aunt Leanne, and I kept busy getting everything ready for our girls’ night while Zack had a nap and the twins split their time between the living room and supervising our work in the kitchen, lounge, or my room.  I went to the Inn with Michael to help out with dinner, and though I was co-hosting the girls’ night with Rowen; I didn’t go to the early buffet at the Inn so that Rebecca and I could instead be set free early – right after the first wave of food went out to the dining room for the second buffet sitting.

All of the other girls – including Rowen – did join my family for dinner; and half of them were there with their own families too.  Rowen assured me that I missed out on a lot of fun with that, and I’m sure that I did; but I always have fun working with Michael and Rebecca, and regular hugs and kisses with Michael make up for a lot when missing out on other things.  It was also worth the work to see how happy Rebecca was tonight – and all of the other girls too.

Dad, Uncle Adam, and any other football fans that went to the first buffet missed the end of the first game and start of the second, though they still caught most of the action thanks to an abundance of cell phones and iPads tuned into the games – or at least the ESPN gamecast.  While they could have watched the game in the living room at our house, Dad and Ethan opted to go watch the game with Uncle Adam and Zack at their house instead.  That made our place guy-free for a few hours; and the fun had already started by the time Rebecca and I got there.

Rowen and I only invited Sally and Gretchen from our class, and Naomi and Sophia were added for Ehlana.  We had a back-up plan, but Jenny decided to join the party after finding out that Erica Bassett and Anna-Marie Palmer had agreed to come.  While we hadn’t planned on it at first, since her sister and cousins were all going to be here tonight; we added Jessica to the guest list so that she wouldn’t feel left out; and that led to including Lindsay Faulkner so that Jessica would have a friend her own age.

Mom, Aunt Leanne, and Liz were already working on the first makeovers in my room when Rebecca and I got there; the first movie was cued up and ready to go; and my Jacuzzi was also in use – as it was pretty much all evening as eight out of thirteen of us took turns enjoying a hot, soothing soak in the tub either before or after their mini-makeovers.

It was chick flick movies all the way, but we started with a toddler-appropriate, animated romance that Ehlana, Naomi, and Sophia all watched before their turn for makeovers.  Since girls of all ages love Disney princesses and the happily-ever-after stories; they had lots of company – and cuddle buddies.  The second movie was a total, teen-rated chick flick; but we had a music video intermission that lasted until the younger girls went to bed before starting that show.

There was a lot going on tonight that I won’t be able to cover here without really dragging this update out; so I’ll just mention some personal highlights.

Whether she realizes it or not, Jenny has changed quite a bit since last summer – and especially since starting high school and becoming a cheerleader.  I liked that she was back to acting like Rebecca’s best friend tonight.  Maybe this will help to remind her of what she’s been missing out on while spending so much time with Garth and their new circle of football players and cheerleaders while leaving Rebecca mostly on her own.

I also loved hanging out with Sally and Gretchen tonight; and need to make more of an effort to do that with them – something that isn’t always easy when they’re out in the country; and especially during the winter.  There really isn’t any good reason for why Rowen and I didn’t hop on our bikes more often and ride out to their farms – or invite them to come into town and hang out with us more often than just at birthday parties or special events.  Add yet one more item to the list for things that I need to do better.

One thing that the Magi council would be happy about, other than my getting involved more, is that we had a pretty good mix of Magi and non-Magi.  Having a mixed group did give me a chance for some more observation, and while I’m always aware of my own interaction with others; it’s interesting to see how other Magi act around their friends – especially since they don’t know which are and aren’t Magi too.  There are obviously a lot of other factors that go into inter-personal relationships; but while the more socially-extroverted girls probably don’t dwell on the Magi part of their lives very much; others are more guarded and less open because of their special gifts.  I haven’t noticed that factors such as whether kids or teens have Magi parents or not makes a difference; but I may look into whether Magi training has an impact.  In Rowen’s case, I think that it did; though she’s naturally very shy anyway.

Rowen, Sally, Gretchen, and I didn’t spend as much personal time with the four older girls as we did together; but we weren’t two completely separate groups either.  I’m getting to know Erica better through Michael and his family, and while Anna-Marie has always been friendly with me; I’ve probably spent more time around her brothers because of Erica and Christina.  They’re both going to be more important and connected to my family in the future; but I’ll leave that thought there just in case anyone reads this before those future events come to pass.

I should mention that it wasn’t all work and no fun for Mom, Aunt Leanne, and Liz.  They had their turns for mini-makeovers too; watched the movie with us after putting Ethan, Ehlana, Naomi, and Sophia to bed; and then had a bedtime snack with us before either going home to their favorite boys – or in Mom’s case; off to bed with Dad while my friends and I wrapped up our night with some music videos and girl chat time.  That started to wrap up when Jessica fell asleep and Erica and Anna-Marie took care of getting her and Lindsay over to their room and tucked in for the night.  They went to bed too shortly after that, and so did Rebecca and Rowen; leaving just Rowen, Gretchen, Sally, and me in the lounge.  Sally and Gretchen were camping out on the sectional sofa, so Rowen and I talked with them for another half hour or so; and then we came into my room after we all took turns in the bathroom.  There’s going to be some major laundry to get done tomorrow; but I’ll worry about helping Mom with that in the morning.

Since we have a house full of guests, and two friends in the lounge; I’ve only been doing the very basic computer checks tonight.  Rowen and Mandy have already fallen asleep, and I need to join them soon; but I should add a college teens update too before wrapping this up for the night.

While our favorite collegians have been back to school for a while now, the last handful of teens headed back to school this weekend; and will start their next semester on Tuesday.  Whether about to resume classes or already into them; this was apparently a fairly crazy weekend at pretty much every campus.  Three-day weekends are apparently an excuse for at least two solid days of partying, and even after months of exposure to college life; our home-town teens are still regularly amazed by the weird and wacky going on around them at school.

That wasn’t as big of a deal for Jake and Stephanie, since while they did hang out on campus at both of their schools they were also spending the weekend together too; and more interested in alone time at their hotel than partying all night with their new friends.  Violet and Dillon stayed on campus and didn’t get to do sleepovers, but they also did more studying than playing; which is why they won’t need to study all day tomorrow while a lot of their friends will be cramming to get work done in time for classes on Tuesday.  Christina and Josiah split the difference and spent one night away from school; though that news flash came from Anna-Marie.  I’m sure that Christina was just having too much fun to remember to send her usual Sunday night update – or maybe she’s holding off until tomorrow night because of the long weekend.  I know they’re having fun, but I think that I prefer my first round of college – home-schooled, and without all of the extra-curricular teen weirdness.  When it’s time for my ‘real’ college education; I’ll let you know if I change my mind about that.

I guess that’s about it for tonight.  Other than a big breakfast in the morning, Rowen and I don’t have any specific plans other than to spend the day with Michael and Tim.  Since we do have the extra day this weekend, I’ll save the look ahead for next week until tomorrow night.  For now I’m just ready to put my computer away and get some sleep, so...

...Live long and prosper, fellow Magi of the Light!