Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Winter has, for the most part, been mild so far - or awesome for the month that Cassie and Michael spent in summertime-Australia! They are home now and will be working from home for most of the time until Easter. The hometown work will include getting ready for their next trip, but there will be a lot of fun to get in on and share with their favorite people - including their March Break trip to Florida adventure. All of your favorite Magi Masters will continue to work and play while their future plans unfold; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Cassie's Journal - September 4, 2013



Our Day Two schedule is definitely going to be my favorite, but there aren’t going to be any classes that I don’t have fun in this year – thanks mostly to having Michael and Tim sitting with Rowen and me in all of the classes where that’s an option.

I like getting to start the Day One schedule with Spanish and end it with Phys-Ed; but Tim isn’t the only person in my class who thinks that first period is way too early to be studying in a different language.  Tim entertained us with his pre-class grousing; trying to convince us that he could barely converse in English before noon.  Spanish really isn’t his thing, but I think that Rowen and I can help him improve his Spanish – and his marks in the class – this year.

Art is the favorite morning class for most of my friends; and it’s sandwiched between Spanish and Social Studies.  Phys-Ed tops that list for the afternoon; but we have to get through Math and History first.  There were more than a few times today when I’m sure that Uncle Nick felt as strange as I did while teaching his lessons.  I haven’t had that problem since Brent Palmer taught our Grade Five class, and I can tell from the look in Uncle Nick’s eyes and the smiles he shares with me that he finds the ‘normal’ Grade Eight student act that I need to put on at school just as amusing as Brent did.  One thing that is different this time is that Uncle Nick doesn’t know who all of the Magi kids are; while Brent probably knows all of them through being a member of the Magi council.

There isn’t any tween or teen news worth reporting today, and though some fashionistas were still dressing to impress; most of us were happy to return to normal school day comfort clothing choices.  That didn’t mean we weren’t still wearing new clothes – we just weren’t dressed up.  I like wearing dresses as much as the next girl, but it’s a bit tough to toss a football around with the guys at lunchtime if you’re in a dress and good shoes.

Rowen and I both played some football at lunchtime today, and I don’t really care that we got teased by some of the guys and girls for doing that.  If we’re going to be stuck with a lot of football over the next few months, I’m not going to sit and be a good little spectator day-after-day when playing with Michael is an option.  The guys did mostly shut up after I dropped a twenty-yard pass into Tim’s hands while he was at a full run.  Rowen caught a couple of short passes from me too; and then caught the defense off-guard the first time with a quick hook-and-ladder to Michael, and gained fifteen yards the second time by happily following Tim’s blocks until he led her safely out of bounds.

That play time, and an outdoors Phys-Ed class were the fun highlights of the day at school, and though we didn’t get to have any play time after school; we did have an entertaining study session at the Inn.  Tim would have rather stayed at the school and watch the team football practice – or go to the park to play football with the usual gang there – but he had Mom orders to get his homework done first; and he’s figuring out that studying with Michael, Rowen, and me is helping him finish his assignments faster so that he can get on with the play time.  From what we heard through the gossip network last year, his previous study sessions with girls weren’t nearly as successful – though his definition of success for that is likely very different than mine.

Miranda helped to make our study session entertaining; and snack time at the Inn is always a bonus; but once we’d finished our assignments, it was time for Michael to help out in the kitchen while Rowen and I moved on to our part-time jobs and Tim went to the park to play football.  I’m sure the only reason he walked with Rowen and me as far as the auto shop was because he wanted to drop his computer bag off with his parents before going on to the park – not!

I’m putting in another really late night, and I don’t have much more to report from the rest of the afternoon and evening; so let’s switch to condensed mode.

Mom, Ethan, and Ehlana gave me their news from today while I worked in the office on the family business.  For the twins, that meant telling me about their first Grade Twelve lessons.  Mom didn’t do a lot of work with them because she had a long meeting with Miranda and a shorter one with Aunt Grace; but they were able to study while Miranda was working with Mom even if they had to play normal toddlers while Aunt Grace was with them.  Though it’s one of their days off, Miranda has agreed to have her monthly meeting with Mom on Tuesdays at least for the next few months – and longer if it works out for both of them.

Aunt Grace’s meetings with Mom aren’t about the construction or business operations of the lab – she deals with that work through Uncle Adam.  They’re in the early stages of developing the computer systems that Mom will be building for the lab.  While they really do need to have everything that Mom is going to create for them; the real reason for Mom’s involvement is still ultimately to give Ethan and Ehlana an excuse to be at the lab.  They can hardly wait for that; and they’ll be able to be there well ahead of the official opening next September because they’ll be able to be there once the building is completed enough for Mom to start working on the computer infrastructure.

Speaking of that, Emerson Computers will be getting a lot of new business for that next year too; and Rowen’s parents are going to be very busy next spring and summer.  There’s a lot of new business for quite a few of the businesses in town for everything from construction to lighting and supplies; but if you’re interested in those details; they’re available in the lab project archives.  I am glad that we’re helping to make things better for everyone in town and in the Ridge River area.

So much for switching to condensed mode, but I’m going to give that another try.

Dinner with Mom, Dad, and the twins was fun; but since Dad and I didn’t have to cook, we got to take care of the clean-up while Mom did a Magi lesson with the twins.  It was my turn for a lesson after that; and then I helped out with getting Ethan and Ehlana into bed for the night.  I needed some Jacuzzi time after that, but did all of my archive homework and some of my language studies while soaking in the tub.  I took a break from the work while doing my hair, and then sat in the window alcove to finish my language studies and a bit more family business work that came up in response to some email I sent out when working in the office before dinner.

My nightly computer checks were last, and most of my email traffic was continuing back-to-school conversations and updates from my cousins and collegian friends.  Though I got a slightly earlier start to my work tonight compared to yesterday, it’s still after two-thirty now; and I’m again ready to crash for a few hours – so I’ll save the family news update for another day.  With game night at the Inn tomorrow, I’m going to have yet another late start to my work and studies; so I’ll either need to get used to only having three or four hours of sleep a night, or come up with a better plan for getting everything done.

While I sleep on that...

...Live long and prosper, fellow Magi of the Light!