Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Sping is in the air in Witch Falls, and while Cassie and Michael are sharing their Light with the world; most of our favorite Magi are enjoying their home town adventures with most of their favorite people - whether that is at work or play! Whether at home or elsewhere in the world, there is a lot going on for all of our favorite Magi as we head through Spring toward the first holiday weekend of the summer season at the end of May. You won't want to miss out on any of the action; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Cassie's Journal - September 3, 2013



Happy 1st kid-freedom day of the school year to all of the lucky parents!

With twins at home, Mom isn’t in that group of celebrants, and with Alicia back at school too; she actually has more work to do now instead of less.

We’ve had beautiful weather for our first day back in classes; but it started out fairly cool this morning – the first real break in the heat and humidity in a while.  Tai Chi by the river was a bit chilly; while feeling just a little more special because it was the first school-day workout that Michael and I did together.  Though his parents were already at the Inn; Michael didn’t stay with us for breakfast because he still had things to get done before meeting up with Rowen and me to walk to school.

Mom had picked up Olde Bakery muffins, bagels, and croissants to have this morning instead of doing a big breakfast; and made up a fresh fruit salad to go with that while I was grabbing a shower and getting dressed up and ready for school.  Ehlana came upstairs and talked with me while I did my hair through until I was ready to carry my bags and saxophone downstairs.  Our breakfast chat was mostly about school and work.  Dad teased me about not slacking off now that I had a boyfriend to distract me because he really liked posting all of my perfect report cards on the wall in his law office.  He just wishes that he could post the unofficial report cards for Ethan and Ehlana too.  They’ll be starting their Grade Twelve studies this week, but Mom hasn’t decided on a schedule yet; and they are going to be too busy with post-holiday weekend work and errands to start that today.

Yes, I’ve been there; but it still feels strange that they’re High School seniors while I’m in Grade Eight.  I wouldn’t change any of that even though Mom and I aren’t hiding anymore – even though it isn’t always fun playing ‘normal’ tween.

Let’s move along to the school part of the report.  Rowen, Michael, and Rebecca all met up with me here.  I was on the front porch by then doing the goodbye hugs and kisses with Mom, Dad, Ethan, and Ehlana.  The twins had bonus hugs and kisses for my friends; Dad took a couple of pictures with his phone to send around to friends and family; and Michael and I were teased a bit when we needed a minute to figure out how to juggle our bags and saxophone cases so that we could hold hands too.

This is a good spot to mention back-to-school fashion thoughts; and the first one I had while walking to school was that Rebecca was going to be the hottest girl in the Grade Nine class; and she can do that without wearing tiny little dresses, low-cut tops, or micro shorts.  Michael was appropriately happy with how I looked today, but Rebecca’s his sister; so it probably never occurred to him that she’s still far enough ahead of Rowen and me on the development curve to be extremely noticeable to anyone who is paying attention.  There were lots of guys and girls paying attention to Rebecca too; and the move up to high school student meant that she was getting new attention from older high school boys who wouldn’t even consider girls in Grade Seven or Eight as potential girlfriend material.

For our year, I’ll modestly suggest that Rowen and I managed to make an impression – or at least we were able to impress the boys we wanted to get dressed up for today.  Except for a handful of rebels without a cause who were making various, irrelevant social statements; every kid and teen was dressed up or at least in new school clothes today.  I seriously doubt that Michael and Tim helped each other pick out clothes; but I think that they won the guy side of the fashion contest for our class; and they both look really great in casual-dress khakis and collarless dress shirts.  I’m going to give Nora and Vanessa the edge for the girls; mostly because they managed to pull off looking really good in clothes that I’d never even dream of wearing.

Since we’re back to school on a Tuesday, we started out with the Day Two schedule; though our classes were shortened so that we could have a longer home room period and deal with things like locker assignments and locks.  I may be one of only a few kids in our class who will think that our Day Two classes are the best since we’ll also have English, Science, and Geography; but we get to start the morning with Music and will have Computer class right after lunch, so I’m going to love that.

Having Uncle Nick – Mr. Ayres – for our teacher may be stranger than I expected.  Sure, he’s one of our youngest teachers, and very handsome; but I’ve definitely never looked at him the way some of the girls in our class are watching him with big eyes and dreamy smiles.  The guys are being normal tweens and playing it cool; but I think that Uncle Nick is off to a good start with most of them too.  Tim razzed me about never being able to get away with anything this year with my Uncle teaching us; and then he teased me about never doing anything that Uncle Nick could take home to Mom and Dad anyway.

When we finally got to start our classes and head for the music room; Michael, Rowen, and I found out that band practices were going to start next Tuesday after school.  That’ll work out great for Michael; since it’s one of his days off anyway.  Tim wasn’t particularly interested in joining the band, but I think he did wish that he could be hanging out with us even if he isn’t into playing music as much as we are.  Mrs. Robinson gave us a quick review of the Grade Eight course outline; and then we got to spend the rest of the time playing some new music.  Getting to do that with my boyfriend sitting next to me put a whole new spin on the fun for both of us; and that was enough to keep me smiling through English and Science classes.

Lunchtime was fun too; though there was some tweeird too that started when Michael and Tim led Rowen and me to the ‘couples club’ table.  The fun came from sitting next to Michael and holding his hand a lot; being readily accepted into the group even though there were some of our friends looking surprised – especially when Rowen sat with Tim across the table from Michael and me; and talking with friends like Sally and Joshua after not seeing them much all summer.  That break was shortened too, and then it was on to Computers, Health, and Geography classes for the afternoon.

There were some first day back relationship issues going on today, and the only one I’ll specifically mention here is between one of my classmates, Allen, and his girlfriend, Molly.  She’s in Grade Nine with Rebecca and Jenny; and she’s quickly realizing that it’s tough having a younger boyfriend when making the move up to high school.  From what I sensed today; I’ll guess that Allen will be joining the Grade Eight singles group very soon.  That leads nicely into the more general topic of available tweens and teens in our class.

Though they are single too, I’m going to exclude Tim and Rowen; since they’re only interested in each other right now even if they’re not openly acknowledging that yet.  Not including them – or Allen – we have seven singles.  While dating older boys or girls isn’t completely out of the question, it also isn’t all that common for the Grade Eight-Nine gap; so the dating pool is a third or more smaller than usual.  That’s probably why the games have already begun today.  There are more girls than guys; and nobody wants to be left standing alone when the music stops.  Only having two guys and five girls in that group of seven makes that micro singles scene even stranger.

I hadn’t really thought about that in context with what’s been going on with Vanessa and Nora over the past few months, but since Rowen and I had been the only girls in our class who had never dated before; the prospect of having no dating options for the next year or more.  Yes, Tim is technically a third single guy, but Nora won’t be getting back together with him; I doubt that Vanessa would consider dating her best friend’s ex; and that leaves him with a fairly limited dating pool too – with Rowen being best in class by a lot in my humble opinion.

The point I’m getting at, though, is that there is going to be at least one or two girls trading places with Rowen and me in the odd-girl-out singles club.  The big difference will be in the fact that our membership was voluntary.  Dating in big, city schools has challenges too, but even an inter-school relationship in small towns is long-distance and tough to work out except for older teens who can drive.  With that in mind, I really hope Vanessa and Nora find new boyfriends soon; or I’m likely going to be on their verbal hit list for a while.

None of that action really affected my day, and with the shortened class times; it seemed like a very short afternoon.  We had the usual blast of first-day homework assignments, and Michael, Tim, Rowen, and I did that work together; but we needed to do extra after-school visits first before doing that at my house.  Michael and Tim checked in at the auto shop while Rowen and I stopped to see her parents at the computer store.  Miranda and Jacob were home by then; though they’d worked half of their day off at the Inn; and the rest of it doing chores around the house with no kid support.  We all stopped in to see them, and Rebecca and Jenny were there already; so we got to hear about their first day of high school too before moving on.

I was snacked-out by then, but Michael and Tim were happy to help Ethan and Ehlana out with some Olde Bakery treats while we did one last daily recap.  All of that running around and chat time meant that we didn’t start our homework until it was already past four-thirty.  Getting to study with Michael and Tim was great, but Rowen and I did have to trade that off against doing our homework as quickly as we’re able to do it.  By the time we finished our assignments, we didn’t have any play time left before needing to split up for dinner; but we did make plans to get together and go to the park after having our meals.

Mom and Dad had Grandma, Grandpa, Aunt Leanne, and Uncle Adam over for dinner; and my school report was only part of the entertainment.  They weren’t having another future plans meeting; but Mom and Aunt Leanne did start putting together their school and work week schedules – at least through until Aunt Leanne will be off with her new baby.  Mom does have meetings coming up this week with Miranda, Aunt Grace, Sharon Palmer, and Nancy Emerson; but she’s tentatively hoping to make Tuesdays her work and charity meetings day so that she can put the twins in KidZone full days every Tuesday for that; and on Fridays so she can do her shopping and errands.

Every time I start thinking that I’m too busy; I’ll try to remember that Mom has to run our family business; keep a cover job going; take care of three kids; do her own ongoing studying and training; teach Grade Twelve high school to twins; and keep up with Magi lessons for a dozen or more students.

I’m thinking that right now because it’s going on three o’clock in the morning; and it’s been a really long day.  My schedule is going to need some work too if I want to figure out how to juggle everything without either using time-phasing regularly or going with two or three hours of sleep a day.  Both of those options aren’t very good.

I was on the after-dinner clean-up crew tonight, so Rowen stopped in to get me on her way to Michael’s house.  Tim was already there when we brought Ethan and Ehlana along and joined them.  We started our play time at the park with some football action.  That was hardly my personal preference, but there was a scrimmage game already in progress; and Michael and Tim were quite happy to be drafted.  Ethan wanted to watch them play for a while, so we joined the group of kid and teen spectators.  Michael made sure that Ethan got to have a special football moment for one of the plays, and after a half hour or so; Rowen and I were able to move on to the playground with Ethan and Ehlana until Michael and Tim were finished playing with their friends.

That didn’t actually leave us much time to hang out together.  We needed to have the twins home by eight; Michael, Tim, and Rowen all needed to be home by nine on most school nights; and we had Ethan and Ehlana hanging out with us in the lounge until Mom came to get them from us at eight-thirty.  That last twenty minutes went by way too fast, and the short little goodnight hug and kiss Michael and I were able to share after Rowen and Tim started walking toward her house wasn’t all that I’d hoped it would be; but Michael needed to get home too – and I had a lot of work waiting for me when I went back inside.

First up was the bedtime story with Ethan and Ehlana.  After doing that and helping to tuck them in for the night; Mom did a long Magi lesson with me and gave me the full, normal archive homework to go along with the lesson.  So much for having my Magi teacher take it easy on me for the first day back to school!  I seriously needed to get to work after that, so the goodnight hugs and kisses with Mom and Dad were short too; and then I came up to my room and got to work.

Since then, I’ve spent two hours in the archives; another hour on the family business; and multi-tasked my first lessons in the Sino-Tibetan language of Wu.  It’s more accurate to say that Wu is a dialect family, and while I’ve known Chinese since I was a toddler; the variations in some dialect families are sometimes so wide that even communicating between the different languages isn’t possible.  That makes it a bit like learning a whole bunch of new languages; but I do have some advantages that make doing that easier for me.

It is still a lot of work, and that’s one of the reasons I stayed up late to get a good start on the new language group I’ll be studying for the next few months.  I won’t bore you with the details about languages that you’ll likely never need to know anything about; and I’m ready to get some sleep anyway so I can be ready for our first Day One schedule classes.  Michael will be back to work tomorrow, but we’re still going to work out a way to do most of our studying together; so we will get to spend some time together before he’s busy helping out in the kitchen or after he’s finished there for the night.  I’ll guess that the parents will take the homework first position on that choice.  Hopefully Michael won’t get razzed too much on the days that we have to do our goodnight kisses at the Inn before I go home!

That sounds like a perfect thought to head off to sleep with; so I’m going to wrap this up and get started on that nap.

Live long and prosper, fellow Magi of the Light!