Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Sping is in the air in Witch Falls, and while Cassie and Michael are sharing their Light with the world; most of our favorite Magi are enjoying their home town adventures with most of their favorite people - whether that is at work or play! Whether at home or elsewhere in the world, there is a lot going on for all of our favorite Magi as we head through Spring toward the first holiday weekend of the summer season at the end of May. You won't want to miss out on any of the action; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Monday, April 1, 2013

Cassie's Journal - March 31, 2013



Happy Easter!

This has been my favorite Easter ever so far.  The rain had moved on overnight, and though the sun wasn’t up yet when I got out of bed, the sky showed all the promise of the beautiful spring day that should be part of every Easter celebration.  We had a blast playing with Ethan and Ehlana this morning; following bunny footprints; discovering all of the treats and surprises; and getting to find out what the Easter Bunny had left for us in our baskets.

We needed to kick it into high gear after that.  Violet needed to pack to head home; we all needed to get ready for church; and we tag-teamed taking care of Ethan and Ehlana.  Violet drove over to the church because she was leaving for home from there; and she probably stopped in to get Dillon on her way there.  Uncle Adam and Aunt Leanne were walking to church, and they collected us along the way.  I had been so busy getting ready for church that I hadn’t really thought much about how I looked in my new dress until Aunt Leanne nudged me and whispered a ‘way to go, girl’ – her comment brought on by Michael’s reaction to seeing me when we met up with the Stone family in front of their house.  That comment, and seeing the expression on Michael’s face immediately reminded me that my new outfit had moved me up a couple of notches from ‘little girl cute’ – maybe three notches.  That felt really good, weird, and uncomfortable all at the same time.

Fortunately, there were hugs and kisses to share, along with Happy Easter and belated Happy Birthday wishes to exchange; so I didn’t have time to think about that too much.  Yes, I hugged Michael too – just as I hugged Jake, Rebecca, and their parents.  I’ll pretend that I didn’t see Aunt Leanne’s smug little grin; and I’ve been trying all day not to think about how that particular hug felt.  We’d needed to keep moving to get to the sunrise service on time, but junior matchmakers Ethan and Ehlana made sure that Michael stayed close to me – getting us to take turns holding their hands and doing the walk-swing with each of them.

I temporarily entered the tweeird zone when we were still about half a block away from the church.  Lisa had been waiting outside for Michael, but changed her mind about that when she caught sight of us smiling, laughing, and swinging Ehlana between us as we walked.  Her once-over look at me was all I needed to see to know that she had a much different opinion of how I looked today than Michael had, and though I wish she hadn’t felt that way; it was a big compliment too – in a silent, cold-shoulder, back-handed kind of way.  Michael let out a soft, sad sigh while we both watched her walk away, and I let go of Ehlana’s hand long enough to reach over and squeeze his arm; wishing as always that I could do more to help both of them.  While there wasn’t anything I could do without making things worse, Ehlana had not trouble helping out by getting Michael to pick her up so she could give him a hug and kiss.

When we got into the sanctuary, we split up to go sit in our usual places; though Michael went to sit with Lisa instead of with his family.  The Easter present he handed her seemed to help smooth things over a little; but not by very much.  The teen-led service was up-beat, enthusiastic, and joyful.  I was totally sucked into the experience, and pretty much tried not to think about anything else going on around me – not that I missed any of it.  Our family had tickets for the first sitting of the pancake breakfast; mostly because Violet needed to head back to Woodvale in time for the Rice family Easter dinner.  Dillon joined us for that, though he had helped out in the kitchen before we sat down to eat; and would be helping out for the rest of the morning too.  I got to have Rowen with me too, though the rest of her family was going to the second sitting instead.

There were nearly three hours between the end of the sunrise service and the start of the delayed regular Sunday service.  After having breakfast, we – my family, Rowen, and Dillon – had time to say goodbye to Violet and see her off, and then, after Dillon went to work in the kitchen again; the rest of us went for a walk.  Since some of us were wearing dress shoes that were not made for long walks, we took our time, and didn’t really go that far.  Uncle Adam made a little side trip up to his house to check on the turkey in the oven; but caught up with us again before we got back to the church.  We were sitting in the sanctuary again with nearly a half-hour to go before the service would be starting; but there was music to listen to, and a long line of little cameo visits with our neighbors and friends as the sanctuary filled up again.

The teens had some encore performances from the sunrise service that were part of the second service, but the Pastors led us through the Easter story again.  There was only Sunday school or daycare for the youngest kids, so Pastor Lewis had a full house for his Easter message; and he enthusiastically entertained us until nearly twelve-thirty.  Uncle Adam needed to get home and back to his Easter dinner cooking in progress, but the rest of us spent the next half hour sharing some more Easter best wishes with our friends while making our way out of the church in the slow-moving, greet the pastors line.

Rowen and I needed to split up to go and get changed, but then we had some time to play together while the parents were busy with getting ready for their respective family dinner plans.  Mom and Dad had contributions for the collective family dinner we were having at Uncle Adam and Aunt Leanne’s, but we carried all of that food down to their house after getting changed; and they were going to be helping out with the work there while I got to play.  Rowen and I took Ethan and Ehlana to the park with us; and there were a lot of kids and teens hanging out there for the afternoon.  That included Michael, Lisa, Tim, and Nora, but other than stopping for a minute when Ethan and Ehlana ran over to them to get hugs from Michael; they didn’t hang out anywhere near us the entire time we were there.

Unfortunately for Michael and Tim, they didn’t really do anything except hang around with some of the other tween couples at the pavilion and do nothing – mostly because the park lawns and paths were pretty soft and messy because of the rain yesterday and overnight; and most of the girls didn’t want to get dirty.  Rowen and I didn’t have that problem; and we had fun running around the playground with Ethan, Ehlana, and the other little kids.  That did mean leaving early enough to stop in at home so we could get cleaned up and changed; but that didn’t take long; and we were back at Uncle Adam and Aunt Leanne’s with an hour to go before dinner.

Rowen only stopped in long enough to have a little drink and light snack break before going home again; and while the grandparents let Ethan and Ehlana entertain them in the living room; I joined the dinner work crew in the kitchen.  Not having our collective extended families home for the long weekend allowed us to invite more of our home town family to have dinner with us today.  Uncle Nick and Aunt Deborah invited his parents, Liz, Philip, and Naomi – which made Ehlana and Ethan very happy.  The rest of our guests tonight were mostly older cousins from Grandma’s family; the Carrington’s; and the Johnson’s.

While I’m thinking about Grandma’s family, let’s take a little side trip; since I haven’t written anything about that side of my family in my journal before.

Grandma’s maiden name was Howard.  Her family was one of the poorer in town when she was growing up, and marrying Shawn Proctor had caused quite a stir with that side of her family.  Moving that many steps up the social ladder back then was quite unusual.  My adopted great-grandmother had been the only Magi in the Howard family until Grandma was born; and that had been the case for her mother too – marrying into a non-Magi family.  Their gifts had been ultimately inherited from distant Byrd and Palmer ancestors.

It’s not really surprising that her rise in social status affected her relationship with her cousins, though just the fact that she didn’t have any cousins close in age to her either made a difference too.  They obviously don’t know about her Magi abilities either, but while that made her acceptance into Grandpa’s ‘world’ easier; I don’t think it affected how either of them felt and acted around the Howard family.  They mostly just didn’t have much in common when they were younger with cousins who were ten or more years older – or younger – than they were.

I’m in that same situation with that side of our family, and though I know all of my Howard adopted cousins; I’m not close to any of them; and the young adults closest to me in age haven’t started families yet.  Maybe that will be different for Ethan and Ehlana, but there hasn’t been anything we’ve seen in our future to give us any hints about that one way or the other.  I can tell you that my brother and sister totally charmed Grandma’s older cousins today.  Then again, I haven’t seen anyone yet who hasn’t felt that way about them – after all, they are absolutely adorable!

Moving back to the daily recap, Ethan, Ehlana, Naomi, and I were the only kids at dinner.  The cousins that grandma had invited were contemporaries of Grandma and Grandpa Johnson; and the youngest Carrington and Johnson cousins were in their late forties.  All of them had been invited because they were on their own while their closer relatives were busy with the in-law sides of their own families – pretty much like our families were this weekend.  We sat down for dinner at five-thirty, and I mostly helped out with Naomi and the twins.  Liz and Aunt Leanne were the closest women to us, and we talked with them a bit too, but all of the adults mostly carried on their own ‘grown-up’ conversations while we ate; and three out of four of us were stuck playing normal toddler, so our conversation was very limited.

The food was awesome; the Olde Bakery desserts were as amazing as always; and the twins, Naomi, and I had fun; but I was actually glad to get up and join the clean-up crew when we started on that at a bit after seven.  The grandparents were in charge of the kids, and they all went out for a walk that was going to include walking some of the cousins to their homes.  Some of the other guests went home then too, but out of the younger adults; only the pregnant women – Aunt Deborah, Aunt Leanne, and Liz – were given work crew passes; and two out of three of them helped out at least a little anyway.  By then, Aunt Deborah was exhausted; she was ordered into the living room; and ended up having a nap while we worked.

You know it’s been a long day when I start getting tired, and I was getting there fast by the time we had the dining room and kitchen spotless again.  Dad still had a bit of work to get done in the office, so he and Mom took Ethan, Ehlana, and I home then; and it didn’t look like it would be very much longer before Uncle Adam and Aunt Leanne would have the house to themselves again.

While Dad worked, Mom did a short Magi lesson with Ethan and Ehlana; we gave them baths; got them ready for bed; and stopped in the office to do their bedtime story with Dad.  We skipped the bedtime snack that none of us needed or wanted, and after Ethan and Ehlana were tucked in for the night; Mom did a different Magi lesson with me in the office before sending me up to bed too.

She and Dad are in bed now too, and they’re not sleeping any more than I am; but let’s not go there.  I’ve been doing my usual school night studying and nightly computing for the past couple of hours, and though there was more than I wanted to do tonight; I’ve hit the wall and need to get some sleep.  The email news included a kid-rated recap of Aunt Grace’s weekend with Mark and his family; it sounds like they all had fun; and I’m glad that her trip home was safe and uneventful.  Violet let me know that her drive back to Woodvale had been fine too; and she and Dawn had both sent me Rice family Easter reports.  I know that Violet would have rather spent the day with Dillon, but the good news is that they’ll be finished high school in just eleven more weeks; and won’t ever need to spend weeks apart again.  They’ll only have one holiday weekend between now and then, but I’m sure they’ll get together every two or three weeks for visits – even if it’s only a few hours together in Crystal Springs.

Anyway, that’s it for tonight, and I’m seriously ready to pass out now, so...

...until next time, this is Magi Master Cassie Proctor; logging out!