Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** All of your favorite Magi Masters will be staying close to home as we head into summer! For Cassie and Michael, while their work will continue from home too, they will also be helping their best friends with getting ready for their wedding and moving into their new home - along with all of the other adventures ahead of them with family and friends! You will not want to miss out on all of the fun as life in Witch Falls heats up right along with the summer weather; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Cassie's Journal - April 27, 2013



It was still raining this morning, and since we didn’t really have anywhere with enough open space to do it; we skipped Tai Chi this morning.  Uncle Blaine and Dad cooked breakfast with some supervision from Jayden and Ethan while ‘the girls’ all got ready for a big day of shopping and fun.

While I’m thinking about that, and that meal, it’s probably a good time to write a bit more about my cousins’ beautiful house.  It could be because I’m used to being in houses with ‘traditional’ rooms that I think in those terms, but the kitchen here is just part of one big, open Great Room that includes the kitchen, dining room, and living room.  I love the design, and it’s awesome to be able to see and hear everything that’s going on in all three rooms.  That might be a bit crazy on a holiday weekend with all of our family together, but I think it would still be fun to try it out sometime.  The windows and patio door offer a great view of their beautifully landscaped back yard.  Unless the rain stops, Jaimie and Kaitlyn won’t be taking me out to play on the big, fancy playground set-up they have in the back corner of the yard; and I think we should make our next trip here in the summertime so we can try out the pool that Uncle Blaine hasn’t been able to open yet because of the weather so far this spring.

I’m definitely spoiled to have my amazing bedroom, and I love our own home, but since that’ll be Ethan’s home some day; I could really love a house like this one.  That’s getting dangerously close to thinking about part of my future that I don’t want to have front and center in my mind on a day when we’ll be spending a lot of time dealing with Aunt Grace’s wedding; so let’s move along.

We had breakfast; Aunt Alison, Mom, and I were on the clean-up crew while Jaimie and Kaitlyn took care of Jayden and the twins; and then we headed over to the Mall to meet up with Aunt Grace, Aunt Leanne, and Uncle Adam.  Grandma Mercy and Grandpa Duncan met up with us in time for lunch, but were skipping the morning part of the shopping trip.  This may be shocking, but I didn’t actually buy much for myself today.  I picked up gifts for upcoming birthdays and other important occasions – like Uncle Adam and Aunt Leanne’s anniversary; there was a perfect ‘missed my best friend’ gift that insisted on coming home with me; and I bought at least one thing for each of my younger cousins, brother, and sister.  I spent as much time helping out with them so that Mom, Aunt Leanne, and Aunt Alison could shop with Aunt Grace; and we actually tried to stay out of their way as much as possible.

Aunt Leanne could be a great wedding planner if there was enough business for that sort of thing in Witch Falls – and she didn’t already have enough on the go.  She has everything for Aunt Grace and Mark’s wedding ahead of schedule, and that made the work they needed to get done today mostly fun.  The one thing that did feel strange was not having Mark here with us too.  Uncle Adam had a few things to take care of for him that was mostly so Mark wouldn’t need to send extra shipments halfway across the country.  We – the kids – were shopping with the guys nearly as much as when we were all together, and that turned out to be a theme through until dinnertime.

After meeting up with Grandma Mercy and Uncle Duncan, we had lunch in the food court, and then Jaimie, Kaitlyn, and I found out that we were going to an afternoon matinee at the movie theater with the Dads and Uncles while the girls were busy with more wedding shopping and work; and the grandparents were taking care of Jayden and the twins.  I’m sure that Ethan and Ehlana would have loved to go too, but needed to play normal toddlers instead.

There weren’t a lot of kid-friendly show options, so we went to see The Croods.  I was about to write that it was a fun little film, but wouldn’t make my top-ten list; and then it occurred to me that I actually haven’t seem many more than ten movies at the theater in my entire life, and it would be in the top ten of that particular list.  I seriously need to get out more often!

The movie-going members of our family headed home from the theater, and we met up with the grandparents and toddlers there.  It had stopped raining by then, so Jaimie and Kaitlyn wanted to play outside while we waited for the Moms and Aunts to get home too.  Jayden, Ethan, and Ehlana came outside too with some help from Dad, Uncle Blaine, and Uncle Adam; and we were able to play for nearly an hour before we needed to get ready to go out for dinner.  That decision had mostly be made because Mom and I – and Ethan and Ehlana – got to meet some of the members of Grandma Mercy’s and Aunt Alison’s families; and that was too many people to have over for dinner at Uncle Blaine and Aunt Alison’s house.

The restaurant was a nice, family-friendly place with a wide-ranging menu.  I was at a kids’ table with Jaimie, Kaitlyn, Ethan, Ehlana, Jayden, and six other kids – including two who were my age.  I had fun, but spent a fair bit of that next two hours or so in the tweeird zone – along with proving that I’m small-town, and too nice.  I can live with that even if it costs me cool points with the more sophisticated and worldly city tweens.

Noelle and Tyler are both cousins to Jaimie, Kaitlyn, and Jayden; but one is through Aunt Alison’s family, and the other is through Grandma Mercy’s.  The tweeird zone moments began almost immediately from the time the three of us were introduced; though I guess Noelle and Tyler had met before when they were both quite a bit younger.  I don’t want to get into too much detail about it, but Tyler was happily flirting with Noelle and me; and though Noelle seemed to be flattered, if not really interested; I was mostly just annoyed.  That kind of thing is bad enough to deal with from my side of the ‘crossing over’ line, but it must really be a pain on the other side.  I didn’t have much of anything in common with either Noelle or Tyler, and the more we learned about each other; the fewer tween status points I earned.

I am aware that in some tween and teen circles that it’s a crime to be one of the top academic students, so that was one strike against me.  Being nice to my younger cousins, brother, and sister was snickered at; and I got ‘the look’ several times while Tyler or Noelle were watching me interact with the adults.  If you’ve ever been a teen or tween, you know what I mean by that, and though I’ll never think it’s fair; I am used to being on the receiving end of it from time-to-time.

Thankfully, Jaimie and Kaitlyn were oblivious to the tween drama, and kept me entertained while we ate and took care of Jayden and the twins.  Ethan and Ehlana knew what was going on, and ran some interference for me with Noelle and Tyler when they could.  Aunt Leanne was busy, but I don’t think she’d have tried any matchmaking fun and games tonight anyway.

Wow, I’m actually hitting the wall right now; so let’s speed this up a bit.  We had dinner, and then we – the Proctors and Carringtons – went back to Uncle Blaine and Aunt Alison’s house for the rest of the evening.  We went for a walk to the closest play park; spent nearly an hour there; and then walked home again.  Jayden, Ethan, and Ehlana were in bed about a half hour after that, and Jaimie, Kaitlyn, and I stayed up with the adults until Grandma Mercy and Grandpa Duncan were ready to go home.  I have Jaimie for my cuddle buddy tonight, and she managed to stay awake and talk to me for nearly twenty minutes before passing out.

I guess that’s really about it, and I’m ready to crash too, so...

...until next time, this is Magi Master Cassie Proctor; logging out!