Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Sping is in the air in Witch Falls, and while Cassie and Michael are sharing their Light with the world; most of our favorite Magi are enjoying their home town adventures with most of their favorite people - whether that is at work or play! Whether at home or elsewhere in the world, there is a lot going on for all of our favorite Magi as we head through Spring toward the first holiday weekend of the summer season at the end of May. You won't want to miss out on any of the action; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Cassie's Journal - April 28, 2013



We’ve had a beautiful, warm spring day.  It was a bit chilly this morning, but Mom, Dad, and I went outside for Tai Chi anyway.

Sunday mornings with a house full of guests aren’t really any different for our family in Granite Park than they are in Witch Falls; and we tag-teamed our way through breakfast, getting everyone ready for church; and the post-meal clean-up before loading up into the minivan and SUV and heading over to the church.  That was a fun couple of hours for me, partly because it was really interesting comparing the church that Uncle Blaine and Aunt Grace had grown up attending with their parents to ours.  I loved getting to meet some of their childhood friends, and there were a few couples that we were introduced to who would be coming to Witch Falls for the wedding in July.

It was a bit different for Grandma Mercy and Grandpa Duncan, since they hadn’t started going to that church until they were young adults, but after decades of regular attendance with their kids and eventually their grandchildren too; they knew everyone, and had lots of friends there.  As for the church service, it was obvious why their church was popular.  They have an awesome praise team, and a pair of charismatic Ministers.  Their ‘senior’ Pastor is about the same age as Mom and Dad, and he and his wife have three young children close to Jaimie’s and Kaitlyn’s age.  The ‘youth’ Pastor isn’t really all that much younger than her boss; she’s one of Aunt Grace’s friends; and she and her husband are two of the wedding guests we were introduced to.  Their two kids are younger, and are likely just starting to be playmates for Jayden.  The music was contemporary, and very much the same as at our church, and while the two Pastors had a much more ‘now’ delivery for their lessons and message; those words were just as traditional, well thought out, and biblically based as anything Pastors Lewis or Martha teach at home.

Ethan and Ehlana went to the nursery with Jayden when the kids and teens left for Sunday school, but I stayed in the sanctuary.  Aunt Leanne and Aunt Grace were partly responsible for that, thanks to their whispered, running commentary advising me of every boy close to my age who was watching me this morning.  The dinnertime tweeird zone yesterday was more than enough for me, and while I’m always happy to meet new people, I didn’t want to rock any tween boats today.  It’s funny that Aunt Leanne had no problem finding the boys who were watching me, but didn’t notice that in several of those cases, the girls with those boys were watching too, and not happy about the attention I was getting from ‘their’ boys.

What was even scarier than all of that was thinking about what it’s going to be like for me in Witch Falls once Aunt Grace is living there.  She and Aunt Leanne can be a bit scary when they’re working together like that – as if Aunt Leanne doesn’t have enough co-conspirators already.  Let’s hope that weddings, honeymoons, and babies keep them to busy to worry about little ‘ole me for a while!

We all went back to Uncle Blaine and Aunt Alison’s house for lunch, but I went home with Aunt Grace, Uncle Adam, and Aunt Leanne first so that they could all get changed; we could pick up Aunt Leanne’s and Uncle Adam’s luggage; and I could get a chance to see Aunt Grace’s apartment – the one she’d be moving out of in less than two months.  I really wanted to do that despite being sure that I’d be getting teased about boys while my aunts had me alone.  Let’s skip that part of the recap, and I’ll just report on Aunt Grace’s apartment instead.  Her home is a nice, but fairly standard high-rise unit that reminded me a bit of a couple of the places where Mom and I have lived, but her building is also part of a little community with two other apartment buildings and several blocks lined with rows of townhomes.  There were two big playgrounds that Aunt Grace told me Jaimie and Kaitlyn loved going to whenever they visited her; and a large pool that she admitted she’d never been in even once – mostly because she preferred borrowing Uncle Blaine’s pool when she felt the urge for a swim.

That probably disappointed most of the guys in her neighborhood, but let’s not go there – even though Aunt Leanne did while we were talking about it.

We didn’t spend much time at the apartment, but lunch was already close to being ready by the time we got to Uncle Blaine’s house and transferred the luggage from Aunt Grace’s car to Mom’s minivan.  I don’t think there was any space that wasn’t used by the time everything was loaded except for around the front seats.  It’s a good thing that some of the purchases from yesterday didn’t need to come home with us now, or we’d have needed to buy a trailer.

Lunch was served in the back yard, and Jaimie and Kaitlyn had me do a little picnic with them in the little wooden fort that was the centerpiece of their playground equipment.  Ethan, Ehlana, and Jayden were with us for part of the time, but they sat at one of the tables to eat first.  I mostly played with my younger cousins, brother, and sister until it was time to head for home, and though that got me out of helping with the lunch clean-up; I don’t think it was any less work.  We were finished the goodbye hugs and kisses; in the van; and ready to pull out of the driveway by shortly before two o’clock.

The drive home was actually quick and uneventful; and Uncle Adam pulled into his driveway at a few minutes after five.  I was barely out of the van when Rowen came over from her house; as excited as I was to be back together again.  She helped us with unloading Uncle Adam’s and Aunt Leanne’s things, and then we walked over to my house with Ethan and Ehlana while Mom and Dad brought the van home.  We had more unpacking to do, and once everything was put away; Rowen helped me carry my luggage and computer up to my room, and helped me get ready for the late buffet dinner at the Inn that we were both going to with our families.

That was when I found my little welcome home surprise, and got the best parts of Rowen’s weekend recap.

The little gift was an Olde Bakery Witch cookie that was on my pillow with a ‘Welcome Home’ sticky note on it, and the surprise was that Michael had left it there for me.  That was sweet – and delicious – but what really touched me was finding out that Rowen and Michael had spent quite a bit of time together while I was away.  Yes, his best friend was busy all weekend too, so they weren’t hanging out together, but while he didn’t admit it to Rowen; she and I both knew that he went looking for her at the computer store specifically because he knew she’d be bored while I was away.

They went for bike rides on Saturday and Sunday afternoon; he helped her with taking care of Mandy; they hung out with some of the teens and tweens for a while by the falls on Saturday night; and had both afternoon snack breaks at the Inn.  Those last two news flashes are out on the town gossip network, and Rowen thinks it’s funny that anyone is thinking that she might be Michael’s next girlfriend.  That, and some other hints here and there, suggested that there was some of her weekend story that I wasn’t going to be told about.  I just hope she wasn’t busy trying to earn her junior matchmaking badge from Aunt Leanne while I was gone.

If the rumors about her and Michael weren’t enough for him, I’m sure there will be more floating around by tomorrow; since my first order of business after we got to the Inn was to go into the kitchen and give him a big, enthusiastic hug that was all about thanking him for caring about, and entertaining, my best friend while I was gone.  I don’t care that everyone in the kitchen at the time was grinning at us; or that Michael blushed while looking very happy too; and let Miranda and Aunt Leanne tease me all they wanted.  Michael deserved that hug, and that’s all there is to it.  I had hugs for the rest of his family and our friends too, and by the time I met up with the rest of our dinner group again in the dining room; Grandpa and Grandma were there too; and we started another round of welcome home hugs and kisses.

The next hour and a half or so was just a whirlwind.  Rowen and I were at the kids’ table with Patrick, Ethan, Ehlana, Naomi, Aiden, and Scott and Lindsay Faulkner.  While the Faulkners and Palmers had their own dinner group tonight, we weren’t surprised when Patrick wanted Scott to sit with us; and Lindsay picked joining us over hanging out with her teen cousins.  The boys mostly kept their usual antics to a minimum, though there were still some muted prank attempts and whispered jokes and comments aimed at impressing the rest of us – or just gross us out.

I’m sure it was just a coincidence that Miranda was sending Michael home just when we were ready to walk home too, but that was okay with me; since it gave me a chance to talk to him for a few minutes.  There’s no doubt that I gave Aunt Leanne more ammunition to use against me, but after leaving the Inn, I took Michael’s hand and led him ahead of the rest of the group so that I could have that little chat without being overheard.  While thanking him for helping Rowen to have a fun weekend was the reason for doing that, his side of their weekend recap was suspiciously lacking in certain details too; and what I was sensing empathically through our linked hands pretty much confirmed that Rowen was working on that junior matchmaking badge.

Aunt Leanne whistled at us when I hugged him goodnight when we reached the sidewalk leading up to their house.  We both laughed, and I must have temporarily lost my mind or something because after stepping back and looking into those smiling, beautiful blue eyes; I leaned in again and kissed him.  It was just a little peck, but it was on the lips and surprised him as much as it surprised me.  It also had the added bonus of leaving Aunt Leanne speechless as the rest of my family, Rowen, and her family caught up with us – though that only lasted until we got home and Aunt Leanne needed to come inside for a few minutes and tease me about it before letting Uncle Adam take her home.

Pleading temporary insanity didn’t help me, and Aunt Leanne would not believe my insistence that I’m not crossing over.  Neither did Rowen, though we didn’t talk about it until later since she’d needed to go home with her parents after hugging me goodnight outside of my house.  I could tell from out little bedtime text-chat that she was still grinning about that little kiss – and probably patting herself on the back.

Let them believe what they want.  It doesn’t matter how nice it felt holding Michael’s hand as we walked home; and the sparks flying from that little peck of a kiss was probably just static electricity from my sweater because of the hug.  I am definitely not crossing over.

I’m not!

The good news for the rest of my night was that the travel time on Friday and this afternoon gave me lots of time to get my homework, and my usual school night archive and language work out of the way.  The bad news is that I didn’t have that to keep my mind busy.  I helped Mom with getting Ethan and Ehlana to bed so that Dad could get some work done in the office.  After that, it was time for some quality Jacuzzi action, followed by a keyboard practice before climbing into bed with Mandy for the night.  Rowen and I had our little chat then while I was doing the usual bedtime computer checks, but she’s probably been sleeping for a half hour or so by now.  I had some email to deal with, including one from Rebecca that included some pictures; her first impressions of Washington; and a couple of travel stories.  None of that helped to distract me very much, and the not dreaming of bunnies thing is not working for me tonight; but I’m ready to wrap this up and try to get some sleep even with the risk of tweeird zone dreams, so...

...until next time, this is Magi Master Cassie Proctor; logging out.

P.S.  I am not crossing over!