Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Winter has, for the most part, been mild so far - or awesome for the month that Cassie and Michael spent in summertime-Australia! They are home now and will be working from home for most of the time until Easter. The hometown work will include getting ready for their next trip, but there will be a lot of fun to get in on and share with their favorite people - including their March Break trip to Florida adventure. All of your favorite Magi Masters will continue to work and play while their future plans unfold; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Cassie's Journal - April 21, 2013



We – Mom, Dad, and I – got to start the day out by going out to the river for our morning Tai Chi workout!  Rowen stayed inside with Ethan and Ehlana, and though it was definitely on the cool side; we were all happy to get another chance to exercise outside – we haven’t been able to do that enough yet this spring.

The rest of the morning was fun too.  It wasn’t really fair for Dad today, but he let ‘the girls’ cook breakfast, and he took care of the clean-up with some supervisory support from Ethan while Mom, Rowen, Ehlana, and I played dress-up and got ready for church.  We didn’t really take too long doing that, even though Aunt Leanne teased us as if we had.  That was mild compared to the comments and jokes she had for me at lunchtime that were mostly about the party last night; with a dash of teasing me because of Michael’s reaction to seeing me again this morning and because I included him in my round of hugs for the Stone family when we met up with them on the way to church.

Aunt Deborah’s maternity leave and the impending arrival of the new baby kept her and Uncle Nick busy before and after church; and was probably the top local story of the day.  There were quite a few people talking about the events in Boston and other world news; but I’ll get to my thoughts on that after I’m finished the rest of today’s recap.  Pastor Lewis was on a roll today, and gave his congregation an hour and a half of education and entertainment before setting us free to enjoy the rest of what was turning out to be a very nice spring day.

Dad had a lot of work to get done this afternoon after his week in the city, but he and Mom offered to host a lunch that all of our family was invited to join us for; along with the Emersons, Seagers, Ayres, and Drapers.  The good news is that it was a lot of fun having lunch with everyone, and the bad, for me, was not only having a big audience for some of Aunt Leanne’s jokes and teasing; but willing contributors like Hannah and Patricia.  I think that Mom may have decided to take pity on me when Rowen and I were set free to go canoeing instead of being drafted for the clean-up crew, but I wasn’t complaining; and Rowen and I were out on the water by shortly after one o’clock.

The water is still very cold in the river, and there was a fairly strong breeze to deal with once we were out of town, so we only paddled East for a bit over a half hour before heading home again; and we were back on dry land by a bit after two.  Dad was the only person still at home by then, so I got him a fresh cup of coffee, and then Rowen and I grabbed our bikes and rode over to the park to catch the tail end of the playground action with Ethan, Ehlana, Naomi, and Aiden.  We hadn’t been there very long with Michael and Tim rode over; making Ethan and Aiden’s day by playing with them for the last fifteen minutes or so before the Moms and Aunts were ready to take the four toddlers home.  Aunt Leanne was very happy with the bonus joke material and matchmaking opportunity; though I’m sure that Rowen and I would have been going biking with the boys even if she hadn’t been there to nudge us along.

I’m pretty sure that everyone else in our group thought that Aunt Leanne was a lot funnier than I did, but that’s okay; and I did have fun with that anyway – and we had a blast biking the trails and jumps in the woods until Michael needed to get back to the Inn to help with the set-up for the first buffet.  After splitting up, Rowen and I spent the rest of the afternoon hanging out in the lounge with Ethan and Ehlana.  We played some music and video games; and all three of them had fun teasing me about Michael again.  Rowen needed to be home in time to help her mother with making dinner, so I helped her with carrying her things over to her house and then got drafted to help Mom with cooking our little meal for five.  Dad only stopped working long enough to sit down and eat with us, but he was also nearly finished his work by the time Mom and I had finished the clean-up.

Mom and Dad both did our Magi lessons tonight, and we had a little play time too, but I was ready to come up to my room when Ethan and Ehlana were tucked in for the night at a bit after nine.  Some Jacuzzi time was first on my list, though I multi-tasked that with the archive assignment that went along with my lesson tonight.  I’ve done an hour of language study too, but kept that a bit short so that I could make sure I’m sleeping before midnight.  I want to get a little extra rest when I can to be ready in case Mom and Dad need help once Aunt Deborah has her baby – either here at home; or helping Aunt Deborah and Uncle Nick.

There’s really only one more thing I want to write about tonight.  I haven’t mentioned it at all this weekend, but the news out of Boston is still one of the big stories today.  My thoughts on what’s been happening there might not be very popular, but I don’t like a lot of what I’ve seen in the news this weekend.  The bombings were terrible, and so was what happened on Thursday and Friday; but I don’t understand why thousands of people were so enthusiastically cheering in the streets on Friday night.  The suspect the police captured is only nineteen – just seven years older than me – and was seriously injured with multiple gunshot wounds.  Even if he and his brother are actually guilty of the bombings and shootings – and we supposedly live in a country where you’re presumed innocent – that’s no reason to be cheering for what’s happening to him now.  It should be just as easy for all of us to have compassion for an enemy – something I point out again is only suspected here; not proven – as it is to feel the same way for the bombing victims; the police officers that were killed and wounded; and their families.  For all I know, you’ll think that those ideas are as naive in the future as I’m sure most people would think they are now; but I do know that there is evil in the world; I’ve had some of it chasing me for most of my life; and there is no doubt in my mind that compassion and love is what will make a difference.

Then there’s also the fact that I do know a few things about what our collective future is supposed to be like.

Finally, while I probably don’t write about world events enough, this was a particularly somber week, and though the Boston Marathon bombing has been the biggest domestic story, the major earthquakes in Iran, Japan, and China; and the fertilizer plant explosion in Texas were all very serious too; combining for hundreds of fatalities and tens of thousands injured.  I wanted to mention that in part to put a little perspective on my attention for the bombing in Boston; but also to illustrate why I don’t write about everything that happens around the world every day.  In a way, it’s for the same reason you have to be very careful if you have the Sight – there’s always so much bad going on in the world that it would be overwhelming to focus on that all of the time when there is basically nothing you can do to change it or prevent those bad things from happening.

I guess that sounds a bit defeatist, but it isn’t.  We do what we can, and there will be a lot more that we can and will do in the future.  It is possible to be optimistic and realistic at the same time.

Anyway, that’s probably too much of my two cents worth for tonight, so...

...until next time, this is Magi Master Cassie Proctor; logging out!