Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Sping is in the air in Witch Falls, and while Cassie and Michael are sharing their Light with the world; most of our favorite Magi are enjoying their home town adventures with most of their favorite people - whether that is at work or play! Whether at home or elsewhere in the world, there is a lot going on for all of our favorite Magi as we head through Spring toward the first holiday weekend of the summer season at the end of May. You won't want to miss out on any of the action; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Cassie's Journal - April 16, 2013



Happy 18th birthday, Dillon!



Before I get into the daily report, I’ve been thinking about what it must be like for the Magi teens on their eighteenth birthdays ever since seeing Dillon this morning; and giving him his gift and a big hug.



In most cases, I’m sure that the first thing they want to know is about which of their friends are Magi too.  They’d need to wait to find that out for younger friends, but since the average number of Magi in each grade is two; finding out those answers might mostly be disappointing – even while everything else they get to learn is very exciting.



If you’re reading this, then you know I’m thinking about that because of Dillon.  I’ll never get to know what that feels like because my best friend is a Magi, and we already know about each other.  He didn’t let anything show at all about how he was feeling, but I could sense what was going on with him while sharing that birthday hug with him.  He hasn’t found out about Mom, Ethan, Ehlana, and me yet, or I would have sensed that too, but that won’t change anything between us until after Violet’s birthday in June.  That’s something that I’m sure he’ll be thinking about a lot for the next couple of months, and though I really wish I could help him out with that; the council has been very clear about sticking to this rule, and I can’t.  That part of Violet’s upcoming birthday story is going to make for a really great start to the summer holidays, though!



Thinking about that kind of stuff now is much better than thinking about certain parts of my day – or at least it’s safer for me.



Tai Chi with Mom this morning was a good start to the day, and doing the birthday gift and hug thing with Dillon was fun even though Stephanie, Jake, and some of their friends teased me about the hug.  The morning went from fun to tweeird before Rowen and I got to first class.  That started with finding out that Nora was mad after finding out that Tim had spent the afternoon and evening at my house.  Her anger was mostly directed at Tim, but she got over it fairly quickly when she realized that he really had no clue why she was upset about him hanging out with Michael like he normally would on one of Michael’s days off from the Inn.  Tim’s reaction really annoyed Rowen.  She’d never try to steal anyone’s boyfriend anyway, and is too shy to chase after any boys at all, but the fact that Tim couldn’t even comprehend why his girlfriend might be mad about him and Michael hanging out with us just proved to her that the guys in our class don’t really even see her as a girl at all.



While Tim and Nora had quickly made up, I wasn’t that lucky when it came to how Lisa felt about Michael hanging out with me.  I have no idea how long she can stay mad, or keep getting upset every time Michael and I are even mentioned in the same sentence; but there’s no sign so far that she’s getting close to her limit.  I can tell you that Michael and I are both getting tired of being followed and watched like we were again today.  That didn’t keep us from having fun anyway during our lunchtime music practice, and gave us some incentive to do a little bike racing after school that will probably be taken completely the wrong way by the time that news hits the grapevine at school tomorrow.



I guess that brings me to the best part of my day – which is also what I don’t want to be thinking about tonight.



Michael and I were on our own when he came home with me after school.  Jake, Stephanie, and Dillon were all busy getting ready for their evening in Crystal Springs with Violet; Rebecca went to do her homework with Jenny; Rowen was working at the computer store; and Tim was going to be busy with Nora – probably making out while making up; and not getting their homework done.  Let’s not go there either.  We had our snack break with Mom, Alicia, Ethan, and Ehlana, but then they were all conveniently busy; and Michael and I were left completely alone while doing our homework in the lounge.  That was scary because we really work well together; had a lot of fun; and it was way too uncomfortable in an exciting way to be alone in my room with Michael.



I am not crossing over!  Repeat as often as needed, Proctor!



The bike ride, and race to lose the group of girls that were shadowing us was next; and that was extremely fun even though we both know that being AWOL for about three-quarters of an hour will come back to haunt us tomorrow.  Just in case you’re thinking the same thing that most of our friends might be tomorrow; nothing happened.  We lost Lisa and her friends by hiding while they passed after putting some distance and a couple of turns between us, and once they were out of sight and hearing; we back-tracked and went for the rest of our ride in a different direction.  I can tell you that they were not amused when we passed them on our way back to my house when we needed to be home for dinner.



We were there ahead of Rebecca, but she joined us in time to hear all about our little biking adventure.  With just the six of us, we were able to have dinner at the kitchen table.  I didn’t even bother to try and avoid the seating set-up – Ethan and Ehlana had already strategically placed the chairs with their booster seats; and it would have been obvious why I moved things around if I’d tried to do that right before we sat down to eat.  While they’d set us up to sit next to each other again, tonight we were at one corner of the table, and Ethan and Ehlana had entirely too much fun every time Michael and I either bumped into each other with knees, feet, or legs under the table; or brushed hands together while eating or passing dishes around.



Ethan and Ehlana also conveniently needed Rebecca to play with them after dinner; Mom had cooked; and that left Michael and me on our own to do the kitchen clean-up.  That was another uncomfortably exciting and fun time too; and having thoughts about what Mom, Miranda, and Aunt Leanne all thought about kitchen time with their favorite guys did not help me deal with that at all.



I am not crossing over; I am not crossing over...



While Miranda and Jacob had been on the way home for hours already by then, we still had a couple of hours to hang out together after finishing the clean-up.  Michael and I did at least have Rebecca, Ethan, and Ehlana with us when we went up to my room and the lounge again, but they mostly played in the lounge while we had a little music practice before joining them so that Michael and Ethan could play video games.  It’s fun, amazing, and scary how great our music is too, whether we’re playing a saxophone duet or I’m playing my keyboard and accompanying Michael instead.



Playing toddler-rated video games was fun for all of us too.  I helped Ethan; Rebecca played with Ehlana; and we took turns competing against Michael.  I’m not sure which was funnier – watching Michael losing matches on purpose to my brother and sister; or knowing that they could win every game if they weren’t happily playing ‘normal toddler’.  Our gaming session wrapped up when Jacob and Miranda got home, but my fun wasn’t quite over yet.



While Mom invited Jacob and Miranda over for our bedtime snack, they first had a little surprise for Michael and Rebecca – a pair of shiny new bikes.  We were getting some light rain showers then, and though Rebecca did like her new bike; she didn’t want to go riding in the rain.  I’ll use that as the excuse for why I went riding with Michael instead even though I wouldn’t have turned him down when he asked me to go along even if she had gone too.  Since Rebecca’s new bike was a completely different brand and style, Michael and I didn’t have to guess why his new bike just happened to be the guy version of my bike – with the only differences being the paint job and a slightly different shape to the frame.  That’ll be one more little news flash that will annoy Lisa; but then going for a ride after dark in the rain probably won’t go over very well either.



Note to me for the future – if you’re going to go riding in the rain, wear a jacket, or anything else that won’t be quite so uncomfortable when it gets wet – and I’m not talking about feeling cold and damp; if you know what I mean.  Changing into one of my favorite soft, warm sweaters seemed like a good idea too right up until it was time for the goodnight hugs and kisses when Jacob and Miranda were ready to take Rebecca and Michael home after our bedtime snack and story time.  I’m not sure whether I’m more uncomfortable about Michael’s reaction to seeing me in a wet shirt or the empathic jolt I got when including him in the round of goodnight hugs.



I am not crossing over...



That was the end of the tweeird tonight.  Once we were on our own again, Mom and I put Ethan and Ehlana to bed; she did a short Magi lesson with me; and then we both played catch-up on our family business work for a couple of hours.  The Boston marathon bomb attack yesterday, and the big earthquake in Iran today were the top stories in the news, and while there wasn’t anything specific we could do right now through the family business or our charities in Boston; we were able to get a few things done to help out in Iran.  There will be things we can do to help in Boston too, but there is already more than enough help on the ground there for the immediate needs of the victims and their families.


While we’re on that topic, I’m sure that some future Magi readers of my journals who know that Ethan, Ehlana, and I have a particular talent for the Sight – especially when we work together – are wondering why we don’t see things like this happening.  There are lots of archive writings about the Sight talent, but the short answer is that it’s impossible to keep track of everything that could or might happen in the world.  Let’s that the Boston bombing for an example.  Using our Sight, and focusing it specifically on the marathon, we might have been able to ‘see’ the bombs.  We also would have seen all other possible outcomes that might have happened instead.  There would be no real way of knowing which possible future would be the actual one, and even if we could know that; we’d have the problem of how we could possibly do something about it.  The bottom line is that it just isn’t possible for us to use our gifts to stop every bad thing that happens in the world, and trying to do that is one of the things that can lead someone with the Sight into madness.  I’m sure that every Magi wishes we could do more, but we have to accept our limitations even as we try to do the best we can – which is what Mom and I were doing tonight with our family business and charities.


When she was ready to call it a night, I came up to my room and got ready for bed too.  I still had all of my regular bedtime studying to get done; and have been working on that since climbing into bed with Mandy.  The language and archive work hasn’t completely kept me from thinking about how much fun it was to hang out with Michael tonight.  Other than those uncomfortable moments, the few junior matchmaking interventions, and a little teasing that mostly came from Miranda; this was exactly how I’d like things to be with Michael and me – if only we could do that without the tween drama at school or having other people constantly trying to push us toward being more than just friends.



I’m as sure that I won’t get what I want right now when it comes to my friendship with Michael as I am that I’ll be fervently trying not to think of soft, fuzzy bunnies while getting to sleep tonight.



I am not crossing over, I am not crossing over, I am not crossing over.



Until next time, this is Magi Master Cassie Proctor; logging out!