Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Sping is in the air in Witch Falls, and while Cassie and Michael are sharing their Light with the world; most of our favorite Magi are enjoying their home town adventures with most of their favorite people - whether that is at work or play! Whether at home or elsewhere in the world, there is a lot going on for all of our favorite Magi as we head through Spring toward the first holiday weekend of the summer season at the end of May. You won't want to miss out on any of the action; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Cassie's Journal - April 3, 2013



Happy 33rd birthday, Owen!

I got ready for school early this morning so I’d have time to meet up with Rowen at her house and give Owen his birthday present then instead of waiting until we went out to dinner at the Inn.  They were still having a special birthday breakfast when I got there, and we had time, so I got to have a little visit with Rowen, her parents, and brother while they ate; and then I helped with the clean-up too before Rowen, Patrick, and I needed to get to school.

While Owen’s birthday was the top Emerson family news today, Rowen and I found out just before classes started that the story topping the Grade Seven grapevine was that Michael and Lisa had broken up.  The official word was that they’d mutually agreed to the split, and the fact that they were both sad and upset all day seemed to back that up.  Neither of them was talking about it in public, and if they were confiding in their best friends; those conversations stayed private.  I wasn’t anywhere close to Michael until music class, so it wasn’t until then that I knew anything more.

He was really having a tough time dealing with his first ‘real’ break-up.  Vanessa and her friends would say this is his second, but he never really thought he was dating Vanessa in the first place; and never considered her his girlfriend.  Today, I could sense the sadness, and that was mixed in with a healthy dose of guilt for finally coming out and admitting to Lisa how he felt about her.  Lisa may have agreed that she didn’t want to date someone who didn’t love her the way she loved him, but Michael knew it was his fault; and he really hated hurting Lisa – especially since they’d been friends since they were toddlers playing together in the Sunday morning nursery at church.

Michael hadn’t wanted to hang out with anyone at lunch, and had gone for a solitary walk outside instead.  After school, he went straight over to the Inn instead of hanging out with the couples club for a while like he normally would; though I guess he won’t be interested in doing that again anytime soon.  Lisa had her best friends with her both at lunch time and after school, and while I tried to stay completely out of her way; the occasional looks she directed my way were even frostier than usual; and I didn’t need to use my empathy to know that she was directing a lot of the blame for how things turned out with Michael toward me.

If that would take some of the heat off of Michael; she can blame everything on me.

With that going on today, I wasn’t feeling much like playing after school, but after getting our homework done, Rowen and I went for a long bike ride that gave us lots of time to chat; and I felt better by the time we got back to town and needed to split up so we could get ready for the dinner at the Inn.  Mom, Ehlana, and I had some hair and dress-up play time while Dad and Ethan had a little father-son time.  We walked to the Inn, and got there about ten minutes before the guest of honor and his family arrived.  That gave me time to wander back into the kitchen to distribute some hugs with Jacob, Jake, Stephanie, and Rebecca.  Michael wasn’t in the main kitchen, and the vibes I was getting in particular from Rebecca and Stephanie told me that he was still having a tough time; so I went looking for him in the back rooms after asking Rebecca where I could find him.

What happened next would normally be classified as deep in the tweeird zone, but today, it was just me helping a friend who needed me.  Michael was sitting at the table in the back room, leaning on his elbows, and staring vacantly at his computer screen.  He didn’t even notice me until I pulled one of the chairs close to him and sat down.  He took one look at me, lost it, and the next thing I knew; he was holding on to me for dear life; and I was hugging him back and doing what I could to comfort him.

Stephanie came into the room a few minutes later, but stopped just a couple of steps inside the doorway; we exchanged a look that told her everything she needed to know; and she left again.  Since nobody else bothered us, I’m sure she made sure that we were left alone.

It took a while before Michael was ready to let go of me, and then we just sat close together; I held his hand; and we talked about everything that he’d needed to say, but hadn’t been able to do that with anyone else.  My contribution was mostly listening and understanding, though when he’d talked himself out; I did manage to get a couple of sad smiles out of him by suggesting some friend-recovery ideas that might help both him and Lisa to deal with the awkward stage that is a problem with nearly every post-dating friendship in a small town.

Don’t make a big deal of this, but once I was sure he’d be okay, I hugged and kissed Michael before letting him get back to what had so far been an unsuccessful attempt at doing his homework.  The birthday dinner was already in progress by the time I got back to the dining room, but Mom had ordered my food for me, and Stephanie assured me that she’d bring it right out for me when she hugged me before I sat down at the kids’ table next to Rowen.  Mom basically knew what had been going on through our connection, but giving Rowen the update had to wait until later.  Miranda had a warm, hug-from-behind that she shared with me shortly before Stephanie returned with my meal; and there were more hugs directed my way on a regular basis for the rest of the time we were at the Inn.

Since I’d started eating late, Rowen, Patrick, Ethan, and Ehlana were all closer to being finished than starting; and I’m fairly sure that Owen was invited to open his birthday gifts before we had cake and ice cream to give me time to enjoy my food without needing to rush it.  Everyone in the dining room joined in for the birthday song, and since it wasn’t really all that busy at the Inn; there was enough cake for everyone who wanted a piece to have some.

The post-dinner party wrap up took a while, and I took that opportunity to check in on Michael again just to make sure he really was doing at least a little better.  Yes, I had another hug for him; but again, don’t make that into something it wasn’t.  He’s still sad, hurting, and feeling guilty; but I was able to help a little, and that’s all that matters to me.

When we left the Inn, Rowen, Patrick, and their parents were all surprised with the news that Owen and Patricia were being given one last birthday gift – a kid-free night.  I went home with Rowen to help her pack an overnight bag and get her flute, computer, and school gear; and then we had more hugs and kisses for her parents before taking Patrick in tow and heading over to my house.  Dad needed to get some work done, but once we had Patrick set up in the room across the hall from my lounge, and Rowen’s things in my room; we had time to play before Ethan and Ehlana would need to go to bed.  Patrick wanted to play video games, so Rowen and I took turns competing against him.  I had Ethan helping me while Ehlana happily cuddled in Rowen’s lap; and I was again reminded that Patrick could actually be fun to hang around with when he wasn’t hanging out with Scott and they were busy spending all of their time trying out their latest pranks and jokes.

Mom came up to the lounge to get Ethan and Ehlana when it was time to get their usual non-bath night bedtime routine started, and Rowen and I took a break from the gaming to help her with that.  Patrick only stopped long enough to get in on the bedtime snack, but then he was only allowed another half-hour or so of gaming after that little intermission before Mom ordered all of us to go to bed.  I don’t know if Patrick decided that he couldn’t possibly face the guys at school in the morning and admit that he’d been a perfect angel tonight, but there was some reason why he needed to bug us while Rowen and I got ready for bed.  One close call was all either of us needed to get us to take turns getting changed in my bathroom instead of the bedroom; though I doubt Patrick realized how close he came to seeing me without my shirt on during his first attempt to scare us by sneaking in through the lounge.

He eventually did go to sleep, and Rowen and I were able to have a nice long girl chat that was mostly about what had happened with Michael and Lisa; and everything that had happened at the Inn tonight.  I’m sure that Rowen had some thoughts about why I was the one person Michael felt safe enough with to share all of that with, but she kept those thoughts to herself tonight.  I’ve been doing a little studying while we talk too, but didn’t get all that much done.  We’ve been winding down our chat for a while, and I switched to getting this, and my usual nightly computer checks, done once I saw that Rowen was running out of steam and ready to call it a night.  I’m not sure whether I’ll be getting off to sleep anytime soon, but I’m going to put my computer away now, turn out the lights, and at least let Rowen get some quality down time.

If Rowen wasn’t taking it easy on me tonight, I’m sure she’d have a theory to explain why I’m wound up tonight, and you’re probably thinking the same thing – that I’m crossing over and don’t want to admit it.

You’d all be wrong about that – I’m not crossing over.

What is going to keep me awake is the fact that everything that’s happened tonight has made me love Michael – and Miranda, Stephanie, and the rest of his family – more than ever before.  I know Mom and I have lived in our new home for nearly three years now, but after spending so many years on our own, with nobody we could trust enough to love like we can love our family and friends here, and nobody to love us back like that; moments like this are exhilarating, heart-warming, and more than I’d ever been able to hope or dream about for us.

This would normally be the time when I write about not dreaming of bunnies or puppies, but for tonight; I’m okay with dreaming about how wonderful and amazing my reality here in Witch Falls is – even if it will be a while before I get around to doing that.

Until next time, this is Magi Master Cassie Proctor; logging out!