Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Sping is in the air in Witch Falls, and while Cassie and Michael are sharing their Light with the world; most of our favorite Magi are enjoying their home town adventures with most of their favorite people - whether that is at work or play! Whether at home or elsewhere in the world, there is a lot going on for all of our favorite Magi as we head through Spring toward the first holiday weekend of the summer season at the end of May. You won't want to miss out on any of the action; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Cassie's Journal - September 11, 2017



I’m going to make this update all about me!  Oh wait; that’s an everyday thing for my journal; so I guess that’s nothing new at all.

While that’s true; this update is mostly going to be about our family business and future plans meeting; and my personal future was a big part of that entire meeting because we finalized a lot of my plans for everything that needs to be done between now and when I start college next August.

Before I go there, though; let’s do a micro-review of the rest of my day.

Tai Chi by the river and breakfast was fun; we had a good day at school; and the only major news there was that Rowen and I started noon cheerleading practices today; and we’ll have them on Mondays and Wednesdays.  We’ll have an option for a bonus practice after school on Thursdays; but shouldn’t need that unless we have issues with being ready for the Friday games with one or more of the other girls.  I don’t expect that to happen unless anyone misses practices due to being sick or other reasons; so we won’t likely need to change anything for the rest of the season – and maybe not for the playoffs either.  Rowen and I did our homework after school while Michael and Tim were busy with football practice; I went home with Michael and had dinner at his house; and we took care of the clean-up before I needed to be home for our meeting and he was on his own for the rest of the night.

Okay, that was quick enough; so let’s get to those future plans!

First up – my college education plans.  I will be starting with the Interpretation and Translation program that’s offered at State college through the languages department; and my plan is to earn my PhD in just five years – the same amount of time Michael, Rowen, and Tim plan on spending to earn their Masters degrees in Economics, Computers, and Engineering respectively.  Making that happen is going to take some prep work – especially since I’m also going to get ‘certified’ as an interpreter and translator for the six United Nations languages.

That means taking all six of those languages every semester through my first four years; and that will add up to a double class load when I add in all of the other course requirements.  I’ll also be taking summer school every summer too; and will need to take at least one batch of equivalency tests to skip a semester.  I still need to get all of that set up, and that’ll mean a few extra trips to the college in addition to the work I can do on that through the internet and phone meetings; but I’ll get all of that done.  The general plan is to take my full freshman year; write those equivalency exams to skip third semester once I’ve proven I can handle the workload; and take my fourth semester during that summer after my freshman year.  That’ll allow me to go into my junior year for that fall term; I’ll finish my third-year by the end of the ‘normal’ end of the sophomore year; and then take my fourth-year during that second summer and third fall term.

If all goes well to that point; I’ll earn my Masters degree during the following spring and summer, and then, including the summer session between the normal fourth and fifth years that Michael, Rowen, and Tim will be taking; I’ll earn my doctorate degree during those five remaining semesters.  I’ll have that double workload all the way through to my Masters degree; and will decide somewhere along the way how much of a workload I’ll take on for my doctoral studies.  That will be in Linguistics, but I’ll either work on a double doctorate or I’ll work something out with the college so that my specialty is somehow linked to interpretation and translation – or with the six official U.N. languages.

You may be wondering by now if I’ve lost my mind, but I haven’t; and this is all part of the overall plan that will lead to my role in the Ascension of the Light.  That’s a much bigger story, though; so we won’t be going into that tonight!

Moving along, I’ll get to work on that part of the plan pretty much right away; and will have it all set up by next May or June.  While that’s a big deal; our housing plans are just as important.  I have mentioned that a bit, but can now add that ‘our’ townhomes are under construction, and while the block of units we’ll be part of will be done well-ahead of next summer and the other units will be rented months ahead of when we’ll be moving in next August; we will be the first tenants – and they’ll be the last two units in the entire complex to be completed.  Aunt Leanne is keeping an eye on that for me, and we’ll have good neighbors; since this housing project is geared toward professional couples and won’t be party central for the college crowd – unless the place fills up with Professors that do like to party with their students!

We’ll be having boys and girls townhomes – at least at first, and while the math wouldn’t work for the budget we’ll be working out with four sets of parents; half of them won’t know that the actual cost is being subsidized by me; so it will work out – and be approved.  For the record, I don’t have anything against living on campus in the residential halls, but we’ll all be eighteen soon after starting college; so there are Magi-related reasons for having our own places to live.  There will also be risks for me once I move away from Mom, and while we can’t be sure of what will happen; Ethan, Ehlana, and I are sure that we will be dealing with the Hathornes more-directly again once I’m at college.  I don’t want to put others at risk, so having our own place will be good for that too; and I’m also sure that Michael, Tim, and Rowen will be there for me in a Magi sort of way if needed.

Having our own homes with chances for roommate sleepover swaps will just be an awesome added bonus! :^)

I’ll never get this update finished if I go off on that mental track; so let’s move along.

We actually worked up a rough budget tonight for all of our college costs, including the townhomes, food, entertainment, travel, and the rest.  There will be savings for Rowen’s and Tim’s parents over living on campus – once the ‘subsidies’ are excluded; so I’m sure they’ll go for the plan – and Michael, Tim, Rowen, and I have been softening them up to be ready for all of this for quite a while now.  I’m also excluding one expense from Michael’s part of the budget – the new car that I’ll be buying next spring.  I’ll get that around the end of June; since we’ll need it for the extra running around we’ll need to do next summer, but while I could get it sooner; I don’t need a car sitting around in our driveway doing nothing most of the time between now and then for as little as I’ll need to drive this fall and winter.

Michael and I have talked about this, and he doesn’t have an ego-related issue with me buying ‘our’ first car.  We will pick it out together, but while our choice will be boring compared to Tim’s Corvette; we’ll need a more practical set of wheels with room for passengers and luggage.  I did promise to resist the urge to get a minivan, though, and while Michael might love a truck like Dad’s; we’ll go with some sort of sedan that will do better on gas – especially when we’re talking about average round trips to home or college that’ll likely average ten or eleven hours of drive time; depending on traffic issues each way.  Whatever we pick; that car is going to get some miles piled on it during our five years at college!

Some of my plans for our college years are too-boring to write about here, but we did go over a lot of those little details.  For the bigger picture, we talked about the impact of college on my family business work; everything else I’ll need to do around the ‘official’ education; and we had a fairly-lengthy discussion about what will be going on around here while I’m gone.  That was mostly about Mom, Dad, and the twins; so I’ll leave that news for them to write about in their journals or elsewhere.  My biggest issues will revolve around everything I’ll miss out on – including too much of Ethan’s and Ehlana’s lives.  Five years likely feels like nothing for Grandma and Grandpa from their perspective; but my brother and sister will go from kids to tweens while I’m at college; and I wish I don’t have to miss out on so much of their lives.

Okay, I miss out on a lot now while I’m so busy with everything else; but I do still get to spend time with them every day – even if that is sometimes only cameo moments throughout the day.

I guess that’s enough of my future plans for tonight.  We also did the full review for the rest of our local future plans and progress updates for work-in-progress – like the construction that continues in the new section of town.  With the third apartment building finished, we will have a bit of a break from major construction this year, but we need that so we can make other changes and deal with adapting old apartments and homes that have been empty because of the new options that are available now – and much more in-demand than, for instance, the apartments over the stores on Witch Falls Road.  That does offer a lot of renovation work for our construction crews, so they won’t run out of work anytime soon – and there will always be more work for them for the foreseeable future.

That pretty much covers the highlights of that meeting; so let’s wrap this up with the bedtime work and study news.

If you’re reading this journal with any sense of context for history and current events, you’ll know that September eleventh is still a rather significant day for most Americans – though this anniversary seems to be decidedly low-key compared to others.  Florida has also just gone through the trials of a major hurricane over the weekend, and while Hurricane Irma was very different from Hurricane Harvey; it has been at least as devastating.  I bring it up because I spent a lot of my time tonight doing what I can to help through my end of the family business; which is also part of the reason for why I’m writing this update now instead of hours ago.

I am not going to write about any specifics, since the only thing that matters is that we are doing what we can; and people in need are getting help.  As with Texas, the recovery is going to be long-term, and unlike the news media; we won’t move on to the next big thing whenever that happens in a day or week – just as we stick it out while dealing with other problems all over the world.

That, by the way, is one of the reasons I really don’t like to write about current events – even when we’re talking about big, headline-grabbing natural disasters.  This summer is a great example of that.  I’ve written about these two Hurricanes; but let’s take a moment to mention some of the issues I haven’t written about at al – just from this summer!

There was a major earthquake between those two Hurricanes in southern Mexico – not to mention another, smaller Hurricane in Mexico too.  We have major wildfires in a handful of Western States – and in Canada and a dozen or more other countries around the world.  There have been a handful of countries hit by Monsoon floods as bad as or worse than what’s happened in Texas and Florida; and that has been more-catastrophic to life – if not to property value.  Heat waves all over the globe – including the so-called ‘Lucifer’ heat wave in Europe – have been devastating, and if all of that isn’t enough; I’ll leave it up to you to look into all of the military conflicts that are going on all over the world.

My point, as always, is that all of those other lives are equally-important; and I care as much for the kid left homeless by flood, fire, or other problem in some un-named village on the other side of the planet as I do for his or her brother or sister in distress here in my home country.  I am not going to offer another diatribe on that – or our shared responsibility for our fellow humans and all life on our planet; but it is something that we all need to care about if we want to have the kind of future that is meant to be for all of us.

That’s taking this update too deep – particularly when I’m a bit sleep-deprived right now.  I still have time for a bit of a nap; so I’m going to wrap this up and get to that down time.  I have had a good day, and all of the work on my college plans was exciting tonight; so I’m also really looking forward to the coming weeks and months.  Every day isn’t going to be filled with non-stop fun and excitement, but I do expect to be busy most of the time; which is why I should be napping right now instead of rambling on and on!

I’m going to do that now – really I am; so, until next time...

...May the Magi Force be with you!