Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Winter has, for the most part, been mild so far - or awesome for the month that Cassie and Michael spent in summertime-Australia! They are home now and will be working from home for most of the time until Easter. The hometown work will include getting ready for their next trip, but there will be a lot of fun to get in on and share with their favorite people - including their March Break trip to Florida adventure. All of your favorite Magi Masters will continue to work and play while their future plans unfold; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Cassie's Journal - October 25, 2013



Before I get started on the news from today, I need to begin this report by recording for posterity that I did not go to the Halloween dance tonight dressed as ‘Jabba the Hutt’ Princess Leia!  Also for the record, yes, Michael would have loved it if I had done that; but it was never going to happen, and getting teased about it was fairly annoying by the end of the night.

Rowen and I were dressed up as the fighter versions of Padme Amidala and Leia Skywalker; just as Michael and Tim were dressed as teen versions of Jedi Knights Luke and Anakin Skywalker.  They got teased about being ‘father and son’; but had more fun with that than I did with the jokes about when I was going to change into my slinky little slave costume – and why I hadn’t gone with the cinnamon bun hairstyle.

Okay, I’m done with that, so let’s get on with the rest of the story.

The temperature briefly dropped below freezing this morning, but I was having warm and happy thoughts pretty much all day; starting with my good morning hugs and kisses with Michael before Tai Chi.  He didn’t stay for breakfast, but we were both ready early enough to meet up with Rowen at her house while Rebecca went on to school without us.  Beginning our school day with playing spooky songs in music class kept the fun going for me; though most of the teens and tweens at school were fired up about the dance.

I don’t have anything else that’s particularly newsworthy from the rest of our day at school, but we had fun back at my house after being set free for the weekend.  Okay, Tim probably wouldn’t classify doing our homework as fun, but we have a busy weekend ahead; and it didn’t really take that long to get most of that work out of the way for the weekend – except for one report that will need to wait until after we’ve been on the Haunted Halloween walk tomorrow night.  Ethan and Ehlana came upstairs to the lounge with us; kept us entertained while we worked; and then happily played some video games with Michael and Tim while Rowen and I started getting ready for our football and dance night out.

Dinner and a movie was at our house this week, but Michael, Tim, Rowen, and I couldn’t wait to eat until everyone was done work and could get here; so Mom had recruited Grandpa to grill up some burgers for us; added some cold salads and snacks; and we had our little meal at the table in the lounge too before we needed to clean up and go to the football game.  Rowen and I took most of our costumes with us, and we needed to make a stop at Michael’s house to get his things too before dropping all of that off at Tim’s house – since his place was closest for retrieving them again once the game was over.

The football game was good, bad, and very, very chilly.  We won by a score of fifty-five to twenty-seven, which was great; but the cold was definitely a factor, and both teams made a lot of mistakes tonight – or at least both offenses did.  This week we played against another division rival, Brookbridge, and thanks to the mistakes our offense made; the game was fairly close until Kyle took the game in hand in the second half and practically carried our team on his shoulders to earn the win.

I know that it was cold, and the receivers in particular had problems hanging on to the football; but our offense seemed to switch back and forth between good and bad all night, and that could be a problem in the playoffs once we’re up against some of the best teams.  Kyle may not be able to save them every week – no matter how badly he wants to finish his high school football career with a championship – especially after getting so close last season.

Before changing the subject, while I’m not going to go into the details; the bad parts of the football action for our team included giving up two defensive touchdowns along with handing over great field position another half-dozen times – though Brookbridge could only manage two other touchdowns, and missed one of those extra-point tries.  Fortunately for us, Brookbridge gave up four touchdowns to our defense, along with three more turnovers that led to one more touchdown and two field goals.  Kyle made all of those mistakes happen; along with some fairly intense sacks and tackles that the Brookbridge players won’t likely forget anytime soon.

There was a lot of action going on off the field with the teens, as usual, but the only things I want to mention involve Rebecca and Jenny.  For Rebecca, that’s simply to note that she chose helping out with getting the gym ready for the Halloween dance instead of freezing her butt off watching the game.  I can assure you that Rowen and I wished we’d volunteered too by the time the game was over – no matter how much we also loved spending the time with Michael and Tim.  I mostly wanted to mention that detail about Rebecca because we overheard some comments made by a group of ‘girlfriends of the football players’; Rowen and I heard Rebecca taking some flack at the dance for not being out at the game to support her new ‘boyfriend’; and because I’m proud of my friend for doing what she wanted and not really caring what anyone else thinks about it.

Jenny, on the other hand, continues to baffle and scare me.  Okay, I’m not actually scared for her, but I continue to find her views on boys, boyfriends, and dating to be Halloween-scary.  While she seems to be very happy with Garth Green, Jenny was also quite happily – if subtly – flirting with some Brookbridge players and other guys from their school while working the sidelines with the cheerleaders.  I get that she loves the attention and popularity, but I must have a very deeply rooted need for monogamy; because the idea of ever flirting with any other boys while dating Michael is a total turn-off for me.

Yes, I’m sure he’ll be happy to read that some day in our future; though he already knows that anyway.

Moving along, when the game was over, Michael, Rowen, and I went home with Tim, and we ended up getting into our costumes at his house.  Don’t go there – we had appropriate parental supervision; and Tracey took pictures of us once we were in our Jedi and fighter-princess costumes.  That’ll be even better when we have our two little Ewoks along next week; but I think we made a great-looking quartet tonight too.

I’d like to begin the Halloween dance report with a Grade Eight singles update.  That won’t take long, since we’re down to just two – Karla and Marcie. (I’m not counting Rowen and Tim.)  Lisa and Roger were ‘officially’ at the dance on a date, and while they’ve kept things nearly as quiet as Rowen and Tim; I’m sure we’ll have another couple joining the club on Monday.  Since Rowen and I have been the odd girls out until now, I can appreciate the position Karla and Marcie are in; but being single tonight didn’t seem to be bothering them in the least.  That might have something to do with having most of the Brookbridge players and quite a few of their teen fans at the dance too.  They certainly weren’t lacking for invitations to go dancing.

While I’m thinking about Lisa, I’m really glad that she’s finally giving Roger a chance.  The fact that Michael and I have been dating for about four months now may have a lot to do with that, but anyone reading this in the future will know why I’m happy for them tonight.  Michael and I can both tell that Lisa is still a little crushed over him, but she doesn’t seem to be mad at me anymore; and I’m hoping that we can be better friends again eventually.

Okay, let’s talk about Halloween dances!

First up, I have to say that going to school dances with a boyfriend is way, way better than being single – no offense, Rowen.  We had fun at the dances last year too, and yes, you were technically still single tonight; but you loved dancing with Tim as much as I loved being with Michael – even if you didn’t share any kisses, hold hands, or cuddle together whenever we weren’t out dancing.  I’m glad that Rowen and Tim had as much fun tonight as we did, but if Tim doesn’t figure out that Rowen needs him to make the first move to get over being so shy with him in public; Michael and I are going to be setting up an intervention for our best friends to help them out with that.

There are a few things that I haven’t mentioned before about our dances, and though none of it will be news for anyone reading this in the not-to-distant future; these comments are meant more for far-future readers.  I should think about that more often than I do – especially since I learn so much from the archive journals and research written by Magi millennia ago.

Our gymnasium looked great with the Halloween decorations, and I should probably volunteer now and then to help out with that work.  It’s amazing how the dance committee manages to get so much done in just a few hours after school!  I don’t want to forget the lighting and sound team either; since they manage to take what we have for concert and stage lighting and apply it to the themed dances.  Yes, we have a very well-equipped school; but there’s still a lot involved in moving the lighting around and setting up the sound system for a dance instead of a show, film, or presentation.

I also want to give a big thank-you to the Olde Bakery.  Hannah and Nathan always come up with really great snacks for our dances, and while there are some perennial favorites; they also make something special and different for each dance too.  That might even explain why we have so many teens from other schools come to our dances – word has probably gotten around over the years.  The specialty snacks tonight were awesome cupcakes that looked like pumpkins – including having an orange-colored, creamy pastry filling inside.  I’ll have to get Hannah to show me the pans for them; since they must be really cool looking.

There is one thing that I didn’t really consider when we chose our costumes that I probably should have – Rowen and I were going to the dance with two thirteen-year old boys dressed up as Jedi knights, complete with lightsabers.  Add in a large, dark room, and friends egging them on; and even Michael couldn’t resist some play time.

Okay, Rowen and I played too – even though Rowen didn’t technically have ‘the force’ with her as Padme Amidala while Leia Skywalker does.  That reminds me that I didn’t mention that the teasing Michael and I got from our friends and other guys included pointing out that our ‘brother and sister’ characters shouldn’t be kissing; holding hands; or cuddling together.  As with the rest of the Leia jokes, that was funny up to a point; and then it just became annoying.  I really hope the guys grow out of that kind of humor sooner than later – or at least get to the point where they realize that less can be more sometimes.

That ‘less is more’ thing doesn’t apply to alone time for Michael and me, and though we’d both like more of those; this was a really special night that I’m going to remember forever.  Yes, I’ll remember everything I ever experience forever; but you know what I mean.  Whether we were dancing close to favorite ballads; bopping around with groups of our friends during the up-tempo sets; sitting around and chatting; or having some lightsaber play time, this was definitely the best dance of my life so far.  Because of the football game, we were given a slight extension on the usual end-time for school dances; and our parents had given us the extra time on our curfews too; so we were able to stay nearly until the dance ended at twelve-thirty before heading for our homes.

Michael, Rowen, and I needed to stop at Tim’s house to get our bags, and that worked out for him and Rowen; because they were able to take a couple of moments for a goodnight kiss while Michael and I waited for Rowen outside while they were busy.  We walked her home next; and then Michael came inside with me long enough to share a fairly serious goodnight kiss or five of our own before we went back outside so I could watch him walk over to his house and we could share that last exchange of waves and smiles that still sets off butterflies in my stomach every time.

Mom and Dad were sleeping by then, but Ehlana woke up and came downstairs to get a drink and have a chat with me while I tucked her back into bed on the way up to my room.  That gave me a chance to get the dinner and a movie night update; and give Ehlana a condensed football and dance report.  It sounds like they had fun around here tonight, and they even had some Halloween Olde Bakery treats to go along with the movie.  I feel like I missed out on that, and especially getting to spend that time with Aunt Leanne, Uncle Adam, and Zack; but that’s going to happen a lot from now on, so I’d better just get used to it.

We have another long day ahead tomorrow, but it’s taken a while for me to wind down since climbing into bed with Mandy; so I’ve done a bit of extra language and archive studying.  There isn’t anything else to cover from today, and I’m pretty much ready to sleep now; so it’s time to put my computer away and get started on my nap – and some happy dreams that will hopefully have Michael in a starring role.  Until next time...

...Live long and prosper, fellow Magi of the Light!