Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Sping is in the air in Witch Falls, and while Cassie and Michael are sharing their Light with the world; most of our favorite Magi are enjoying their home town adventures with most of their favorite people - whether that is at work or play! Whether at home or elsewhere in the world, there is a lot going on for all of our favorite Magi as we head through Spring toward the first holiday weekend of the summer season at the end of May. You won't want to miss out on any of the action; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Cassie's Journal - October 16, 2013



Happy Birthday, Aunt Leanne!

I know that your favorite gift this year arrived early, but the good news is that you didn’t spend your special day delivering that particular present – since it isn’t like someone else could do that for you no matter how much you joked about it last week.

Uncle Adam was in charge of the morning part of Aunt Leanne’s birthday celebration, and while I’m sure that we don’t need to write about all of the details here; it was funny when they told us that all three of them had breakfast in bed  - though Uncle Adam didn’t need to cook anything for Zack.  While their new baby was Aunt Leanne’s favorite gift, the family ring that her boys gave her was very nice too, and like the ring Dad gave Mom; it has diamonds that can be switched out for birthstones as their family grows.

While they were having the birthday breakfast in bed party, my morning was fairly quiet by comparison.  Mom did a Tai Chi lesson with Michael, Ethan, Ehlana, and me; and we were indoors again so that we could do a more advanced lesson than we could have done by the river.  Michael went home for breakfast, and there isn’t anything exciting to report for the rest of my morning routine today.  Now that all traces of the fall festival are gone from the park, kid and teen attention is turning to Halloween.  Though we still have two weeks to the big day, the school Halloween dance is a week from Friday; so dates and costumes are top chat topics now.  The football game on Friday is big news for the guys too, and Rowen and I can’t escape that topic if we want to spend time with Michael and Tim; but they’re getting excited about Halloween too.  We’re even tossing around ideas for doing matching costumes, and I’ve had fun teasing Tim with suggestions that I know he’d never go with – though, for example, Rowen and I both think that he’d be a very cute Care Bear!

While I’m on the costume subject, we did decide on what to do for Halloween while studying and babysitting after school; and we’ll have Ethan and Ehlana with us too – just as Rowen and I have done for the past two Halloweens.  Tim and Rowen are going to be Anakin Skywalker and Queen Padme Amidala, and while the significance of that choice may dawn on Tim eventually; Michael’s grin was all the evidence I needed to know he understood, and I explained it to Rowen later when the boys weren’t around.

Okay, for those of you who don’t have photographic memories or have no knowledge of Star Wars trivia; Anakin and Padme are secretly husband and wife.  That’s why I thought that those characters were perfect for Tim and Rowen.

Michael and I are going to be Luke and Leia Skywalker, and though we talked about having Michael go as Han Solo instead; we decided to ‘keep it in the family’, since Luke and Leia are Anakin and Padme’s kids.  Yes, we also thought about doing that combination with Michael and me as the parents and Ethan and Ehlana as the twins; but Ethan and Ehlana wanted to be Ewoks.  That’s too cute; and I liked their choice better anyway.

That’s enough Star Wars information for one day, so let’s get back to the main news of the day.

We managed to get our homework done while talking Halloween costumes, and then Michael, Rowen, and Tim all needed to get to work; and I needed to take Ethan and Ehlana over to Aunt Leanne’s so I could help Mom, Grandma, and Aunt Grace with making dinner.  The guest list tonight was family-only so that Aunt Leanne wouldn’t get any more exhausted than she already was keeping up with Zack day and night; but that still meant we had eighteen for dinner – sixteen to cook for, excluding Zack and Leah.

Aunt Leanne’s birthday roast was very entertaining; though the women at the table spent as much time talking about babies as they spent telling stories about the birthday girl.  Christine and Andrew are new to their grandparent roles; and they really liked having a few hours to spend with Zack without the family competition they had all weekend.  They were happy to share him with Grandma, Grandpa, and Zack’s Great-Grandma and Grandpa Johnson; and our two families are moving closer together with the new grandchild connection.

I was on the clean-up work crew too, but the Moms, Aunts, and Grandmothers were sent off to hang out with Aunt Leanne, Zack, and Leah while the ‘younger’ men worked too; and the grandfathers, Ethan, and Ehlana supervised.  The party after that was more like a post-dinner social hour, and when it was time for Zack’s next feeding; most of the guests headed home.  Grandma and Grandpa Carrington were the exceptions, and they stayed while I went home to pack a bag; have a short Magi lesson; and help Mom with getting Ethan and Ehlana into bed for the night before going back to Uncle Adam and Aunt Leanne’s house so that I could help out with Zack overnight and hopefully let Aunt Leanne and Uncle Adam both get a bit more sleep than they’ve been able to get so far since last Friday.

Aunt Leanne and Zack were sleeping when I got back to the house, and Uncle Adam went to bed too after his parents went home; while I’ve been sitting in Zack’s nursery; working on my computer while he’s sleeping; and taking care of him when he’s awake.  He isn’t on a schedule yet, but Aunt Leanne had already started pumping milk so she’d be able to skip the occasional feeding or have a bottle available if she was out somewhere; and I’ve managed to do two feedings without waking her or Uncle Adam.

Yes, I cheated a bit doing that by using wards and sound barriers, but Zack didn’t mind; and we’ve had fun together while his parents have been catching up on their sleep.

I haven’t really written anything about the Magi side of my cousin yet, and this is a good time for a first update on that.  This wasn’t the first time I’ve talked telepathically with Zack, since we did have a bit of contact when he was born; but it was the first time we’ve communicated for any length of time.  Being able to do that with my cousin is another new step for the council; since they wouldn’t have allowed that before with Magi cousins any more than they'd have allowed non-related Magi kids to know about each other.  We’re still taking that very slow with Zack, just as we’ve done with Leah; but he’s doing very well so far.  His pre-natal training has made a big difference too; and I think that Mom may be very close to having an optimized program that the council can consider teaching to other new, expecting Magi mothers.

While I can talk telepathically with Zack, and use other talents around him, there are some rules too; with the biggest being that we – Ethan, Ehlana, and I – do not attempt any form of link that might lead to a bonding.  He’s too young for that, and Mom wants to make sure that nothing gets in the way of a Magi baby’s bonding with his own mother and father.  I definitely agree with that, though I also think that we need to consider how to handle developing that kind of a Magi relationship for the Magi kids who have non-Magi parents.

Rowen, for instance, developed that bond over time with her grandmother, but until that happened; it must have been very strange for her to have all of those abilities with no way to express herself during the stretches of time between visits with her Grandma Nancy.  We know from our Magi Project research that some Magi never get that bond at all; though Uncle Adam has approached that particular question very carefully.

Getting back to talking about Zack, while we’re not doing anything that might encourage a Magi-level bonding; expressing our love is definitely okay, and he responds to the empathic vibes he senses from us.  Zack also loves getting to talk telepathically with us, and while this was the first chance he and I had to do that; he’s been able to talk with Ethan and Ehlana during the days when they’ve been here with Mom; and the extra interaction with other Magi is helping his development.

We both think that the cuddling is very nice too, and after the first feeding I did with him; I rocked him for nearly a half-hour after singing him to sleep before putting him back in his basinet.

It’s going on three now; I have my studies and work done; and Zack won’t likely wake up again for another hour and a half or two; so I’m going to put my computer away now and get a little sleep.  I’ll need to wake Aunt Leanne for that feeding; but she’ll likely be uncomfortable by then and need to have Zack nurse anyway.  I could go next door to the guest room I was going to use tonight, but the love seat that Aunt Leanne picked as part of the furniture for the nursery is comfortable; so I’m just going to curl up here to make sure I hear Zack when he wakes – and hopefully we’ll be able to get Aunt Leanne to join us without waking Uncle Adam.

I’m going to need to make up for that lack of sleep soon, but this was worth losing the sleep for; and I’ll just give myself a little Magi power boost in the morning so I can keep going all day tomorrow.  For now, though, I’m going to nap while I can before getting to play with my adorable little cousin again during his next feeding.

Live long and prosper, fellow Magi of the Light!