Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** All of your favorite Magi Masters will be staying close to home as we head into summer! For Cassie and Michael, while their work will continue from home too, they will also be helping their best friends with getting ready for their wedding and moving into their new home - along with all of the other adventures ahead of them with family and friends! You will not want to miss out on all of the fun as life in Witch Falls heats up right along with the summer weather; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Sunday, February 2, 2020

Ehlana's and Ethan's Journals - February 2, 2020


Ehlana:

Super Bowl Sunday – where do I start this update?

Let’s be nice and begin with the non-football news.

First up, our girls’ night sleepover wrapped up this morning with an interesting group of girls with Uncle Adam for Tai Chi; a busy breakfast and get-ready-for-church blast of fun after that; and then a fun morning that included Sunday school and some sidelines entertainment revolving around fathers surviving the weekend without their wives around to help with the kids.  The weather today has been awesome for the start of February; there has been a lot of sunshine; and the temperature climbed into the mid-sixties!  That had everything to do with why Ethan and I spent a lot of the afternoon outdoors; we had our best friends and cousins with us for some or all of that time; and I was okay with missing out on most of the afternoon football-related entertainment going on as part of the pre-game shows that I don’t find at all interesting – just as I think that red carpet shows ahead of awards shows are ridiculous.

That brings me up to dinnertime and the football game, and while we’ve missed out on the buffet at the Inn; our Super Bowl party meal included a lot of food options including pizzeria pizza and other dishes that were obviously provided by the fathers in our collective families.  Our favorite Moms made it home in time for dinner, but while they had fun with teasing their husbands about the food choices for the day – and weekend; they didn’t have a problem with the break from cooking and cleaning.  Naomi and I were among the girls that were happy to enjoy that meal while talking with our Moms; and we could do that because most of the guys were either busy watching football or in the lounge playing video games.  The sunroom was set up for watching chick flicks too; so our non-football fun continued.

I suppose that it’s time to annoy all future football fans reading this journal update with my Super Bowl report.  Ethan might cover the actual football news related to the game between Kansas City and San Francisco, but I won’t be doing that; and don’t care which team wins.  I also won’t get into a commentary about team names that seems to be an annual issue for some people – not because I can’t sympathize with that perspective; but because we have far-more-serious problems in the world than the names given to sports teams decades or centuries ago.  I’m also not against sports.  I love playing quite a few of them; and I like watching some professional sports too, but I have a problem with the business side of professional or even some amateur sports and how exploitative and wasteful they have become.

My feelings on this aren’t unique, and this point of view has been covered often-enough that I don’t need to write a rant on it; so I won’t.  I can report that our family business has as little to do with the Super Bowl – or other major sporting events, and while I’d like that to be zero involvement; that actually isn’t possible; since we do own businesses worldwide that are affected by sports – even if that’s just through people staying at our hotels, visiting our restaurants; or through other connections.  We don’t support any professional sporting events, though; we don’t buy those insanely-priced commercial time slots; and we don’t bid on contracts for anything related to the Super Bowl.  I’d love to see that be true for everyone, since boycotting everything that pays for these elitist events would really change things for the better – and I’m not talking about trying to end championship games in any sport.  I just think it’s far-past-time to have everyone remember that sports are meant to be fun as well as challenging and entertaining; not a means to make a lot of money – especially for the richest people that certainly don’t need the money; but I mean that for the players and anyone else that exploits sports to try and get rich.

I’m on the verge of a rant anyway, so I’ll stop now.  The football game hasn’t really impacted my personal life – other than we’re having fun doing other things with our family and friends while the boys are busy with football and video gaming.  This update for me is coming between chick flicks, and I should get back to the fun anyway; so I’ll wrap this up and do that.  We really have had an awesome day and weekend – whether here at home or away on a spa weekend; so getting to stay up late on a school night is just a bonus!

This is Ehlana Proctor; live from the hidden home of the Magi of the Light!

***
Ethan:

Ehlana’s update is done already, but that’s because I’ve waited until after the game and coming up to bed to write my report for the day.  She’s also covered the highlights for everything else; so I’ll just add my two-cents-worth; and then get some sleep.

I haven’t paid much attention to football this season at all, and wasn’t really supporting either team today, but can report that Kansas City had more fans at our house – and likely in our town – than San Francisco did today.  Maybe I’d be better off to write about the video gaming in the lounge, since I spent more time at that – and helping to keep Zack entertained and distracted, but the Super Bowl will be the top news story at school tomorrow; so all guys are required to know the important details.  During the first half of the game, San Francisco got the early, three-point lead.  Kansas City came back with a touchdown and field goal next; and then San Francisco came back with a touchdown to tie things up at ten-to-ten heading into the half-time show.

I may be glad by tomorrow morning that my friends are supposed to be too-young to find Shakira’s half-time show more-interesting than the football; and I’ll leave it to the older guys to offer any commentary that would be inappropriate and weird for me.

It’s a bonus that I won’t get into trouble with Naomi for that sort of thing too! ;^)

I am not going to comment on the music either – other than to admit that my personal taste in music – or my playlists – does not include any Shakira music.  Okay, at our age, that might be weird anyway – especially for a guy, but I still prefer different music that either tells stories or has thoughtful messages.

Getting back to the game; San Francisco opened the second-half of the game with another field goal to take the lead again; which practically made it seem as though the game was as choreographed as the half-time show.  Sure, that sounds unlikely – and probably is, but it was still convenient; and likely kept fans watching the game.  I couldn’t really get excited about the game, so playing video games was more-fun for me, but we were still watching the game too; even if I didn’t really care about the following interception and touchdown that gave San Francisco the ten-point lead heading toward the end of the third-quarter.

Football fans know that ten points isn’t a huge deal, but that didn’t keep the commentators from starting to talk up the Kansas City team.  That sounded good, and even better when Kansas City got the next touchdown, but my thoughts about the game being theatre continued because that score came after a timely penalty that helped Kansas City out a lot.  The fans had what they wanted with another potential comeback; and ensured keeping the audience for the rest of those very expensive commercials – I mean for the rest of the game! ;^)

The Super Bowl drama continued when San Francisco couldn’t do anything on their next possession; Kansas City got the ball back with five minutes to go; and the chance to take the lead with another touchdown.  They didn’t use up enough time, though, so there were more chances for advertisements – a lot of them – as San Francisco had the chance for yet another comeback.  Would four lead changes be enough – or would we get to have five or six of them?  Three minutes of football needed to be dragged out endlessly to make time for those commercials; so our video gaming could continue.  I’m too-cynical for my age, so it was definitely my perspective that colored the wrap up, but then I can’t say much about the game-ending drama; since Kansas City stopped San Francisco again; earned another quick touchdown; and that eleven-point lead wasn’t likely going to be overcome.  Sure, San Francisco still needed to keep fighting to the end.  That didn’t take long, since they gave up an interception with less than a minute to go; and then their coach pointlessly dragged the game out by taking his remaining team time-outs; and didn’t even manage to get a final possession when Kansas City was still able to run out the clock to seal the thirty-one to twenty win.

The celebration that ensued included all of the expected commentary about Kansas City winning their second Super Bowl fifty years after the first one, but then that just reminded me that it was also a perfect ending to the ‘show’ – at least for the fans of the team.

It’s time for me to put my football theories away for another year, though; so let’s wrap this up and I’ll go get some sleep.

The video gaming ended soon after the game; our guests headed home; and Ehlana and I helped Mom and Dad with the clean-up before getting ready for bed.  That took a while, so we’re up late for a school night, but then we also didn’t use any time phasing tonight either; so we’ll be okay tomorrow.  This has been a really good weekend; we’re all happy; and our start to the new month is a good sign as we head toward the next big holiday of the year – Valentine’s Day.

I’d better start working on that for Naomi soon! ;^)

Stay tuned – I’m sure that the fun will continue for us – even when we’ll still have lots of work and study time to go along with the holiday-themed fun and the rest of the adventures we’ll have ahead of us.

May the Magi Force be with you!