Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Sping is in the air in Witch Falls, and while Cassie and Michael are sharing their Light with the world; most of our favorite Magi are enjoying their home town adventures with most of their favorite people - whether that is at work or play! Whether at home or elsewhere in the world, there is a lot going on for all of our favorite Magi as we head through Spring toward the first holiday weekend of the summer season at the end of May. You won't want to miss out on any of the action; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Cassie's Journal - November 4, 2013



Happy 35th Birthday, Dad!

Before I get to the birthday fun and the rest of the news from today, let’s start this update with the college report I skipped last night.

Now that our favorite freshmen are more than half-way through their first semester; they’ve all settled into routines – and the college life in general.  That doesn’t mean that the Halloween festivities on campus weren’t still a bit wild compared to here in Witch Falls; because most of the teens were still surprised – and needed to be extra-careful while navigating the parties and craziness.

That’s probably hardest for Stephanie, because Jake can’t be there for her all of the time while they’re at different schools.  Violet and Christina deal with peer pressure and guys hitting on them too; but they have Dillon and Josiah at school with them.  It sounds like Stephanie had an even tougher week with those issues than normal because of all the extra parties and activities; and Jake wasn’t able to spend as much time with her as usual because of everything they both had on the go.  I’ll guess that Jake’s having some issues too, but he’s not saying anything to Stephanie about any problems he’s having with girls chasing after him; and he rarely sends emails to me – or to Michael and Rebecca either.  He does slightly better with Miranda; but he wouldn’t talk to her about things like that any more than he’d tell Stephanie and have her worried over nothing.

The main news to write about tonight for the college teens is that Violet and Dillon will be home for the week of Thanksgiving, but Jacob, Stephanie, Christina, and Josiah won’t be.  In Jake and Stephanie’s case; they’re not going to spend the money – or all of that travel time – just to come home for what would end up being just a couple of days.  Christina and Josiah are going to make a trip home – just not to Witch Falls.  They had to pick one, and since Abby will be busy most of the weekend at the store; they’re going to be with the McEwans for Thanksgiving.  The good news there for us is that both couples will be in Witch Falls for Christmas – though Christina and Josiah will spend time with her family too while they’re off for the Christmas break.

Violet, Stephanie, and Christina all sent Halloween pictures; including shots of everything from dorm room decorations to best costumes and wildest party scenes.  Okay, they did make sure that all pictures were kid-rated; but then none of them would have saved any inappropriate videos or photos anyway.  I’m sure that won’t keep them from having really great stories – the kind Aunt Leanne will be interested in hearing all about; but I’ll try not to be around for those conversations.

Moving along, one other minor item that didn’t get mentioned in my weekend journals was the annual fall time change early on Sunday morning.  That really wasn’t a big deal; though I did appreciate the extra hour of nap time.  I’d get into a discussion about how messed up our time and calendar system is, but don’t feel like doing that tonight, and since nothing is going to change with that anytime soon; pointing out the obvious stupidity in the system is a pointless waste of effort.

Now that we have all of that out of the way, let’s talk birthdays!

Ethan, Ehlana, and I loved getting to give Dad his wake-up call this morning and give him our gifts.  We’re also quite happy to pretend that we don’t know why he and Mom were so tired this morning – even though they tried to hide that from us.  We’re also good with me being at Rowen’s tonight while the twins are with Grandma and Grandpa.  Dad didn’t get a weekend away in Florida for his thirty-fifth birthday like Mom did for hers; but I’ll guess that his night has been hotter.

I so wish that I hadn’t gone there – even if I’m happy for them too.

Our morning routine was only slightly different than normal; mostly because Dad had his annual birthday get out of work card.  Michael came over for Tai Chi, and stayed to help out with making a special breakfast and getting Ethan ready for the day.  He ate with us, and Dad had more gifts to open – including one from both Michael and me; and then Michael went home to get ready for school while I helped Mom with the clean-up before getting cleaned up and ready in record time too – thanks to a little Magi-powered assistance.

There was only one topic being discussed by the majority of guys at school today – football.  Our team was in the playoffs; and the Raiders fans have high hopes for their chances this season.  Kyle and the other guys on the team are getting treated like rock stars – or as close to that as ever happens in our little town.  Tim loves all of that, and you can practically see the dreams of football glory in his mind.  Okay, maybe I can ‘see’ that better than most; but the main reason I mention it at all is because he’s going to do whatever it takes to play football; Michael will be right there with his best friend all the way; and that means football is going to be a bigger part of my life pretty much from now on.  Maybe I’ll like the game more when they’re playing.  After all, I do like to see Michael win – as long as he isn’t competing against me! ;^)

That wasn’t a problem today, because Rowen and I were on the same team with Tim and Michael when we played football at lunchtime today.  That might be the last time we play in any of those scrimmages for the rest of this year; mostly because Rowen and I really don’t like playing when it’s cold – no matter how much we love spending the time with our favorite boys.  It was fairly nice outside at noon today, so Rowen and I weren’t even the only girls playing today; and winning the match was a nice little bonus for us too.  Michael and Tim also played some football at the park after school – and after we did our homework at my house; but Rowen and I stayed home to help Mom with Ethan and Ehlana – and to get ready for Dad’s birthday dinner at the Inn.

Mom had needed the help so that she could go all out with getting ready for the dress-up part of her birthday plans for Dad; and there was no doubt that he was floored when he saw her after getting home from work.  Let’s leave that thought there too, though I am going to mention that my perspective on that is a bit different now; and I will be a very lucky girl if my husband still looks at me like that when I’m thirty-five.

Having dinner at the Inn with our family and friends was mostly done because Mom didn’t want to be working half the day and evening instead of spending the time with Dad; and I didn’t have a problem with that plan either.  Dad had time to freshen up before we needed to get to the Inn, and while he was doing that, Rowen and I took Ethan and Ehlana with us; picked up Michael and Tim along the way; and walked over to the Inn a bit early.  Grandma and Grandpa were already there, and had a bit of help doing some minor table decorating for the tables we had reserved.

We had a big group, and that meant my friends and I were on kid control duty while Mom and Dad got to enjoy dinner with Uncle Adam, Aunt Leanne, and some of their friends.  There were enough younger kids that Michael and I sat at the table next to Tim and Rowen; and had six kids each to help feed and keep entertained.  We had Ethan, Ehlana, Naomi, and Aiden with us, along with Michael’s cousins, Sophia and Ryan Bassett.  Jessica had wanted to sit with us too, but settled for being behind me – and next to Rowen – instead.  I would have liked to be able to spend a bit more time with Mom and Dad than we could, but that wasn’t going to happen with such a big dinner party anyway; and we did get them all to ourselves this morning for a couple of hours.

Though we were on the fringe for a lot of the birthday party, Michael and I still had a blast.  Ethan, Ehlana, and their friends seem to be even more fun every time we get together for special occasions; and Aiden in particular is finally to a point where there doesn’t need to be so obvious a difference in how he acts in public compared to his older friends.  Getting all of them fed is fairly easy now too – especially since they all like the same foods.  Ethan and Ehlana spent more time with Mom and Dad than I did while busy with the other kids – helping Dad out when he opened his gifts; with blowing out the candles on the cake; and adding some entertainment to the mix while the cake was being sliced and served.

Having Michael with me for another big family and friends event was great, but I really, especially loved that his parents could be there too – without working while the rest of us celebrated.  That doesn’t happen often enough, and they both couldn’t resist visits to the kitchen and pitching in to help for a few minutes here and there; but they managed to sit down at their table and enjoy the party and meal for most of the time we were there.  They went out to the continuing party at Sheldon’s too, and don’t have to work tomorrow; so I hope they have a fun night too.  Michael and Rebecca are doing sleepovers at Tim and Jenny’s houses; so there’s a very good chance I won’t need to hear all of the details of their night any more than I’ll want to hear about what Mom and Dad have been doing to celebrate since I went home with Rowen from the Inn.

I’m sure they weren’t getting bugged by two annoying boys for the next several hours, though they were at the pub; and it’s possible that Mom did have a certain pair of guys trying to yet again badger her into another billiards re-match.  If they manage to do that, I’m sure the church will appreciate the bonus donations next Sunday morning.  Rowen and I would love to make a donation too, but the Pastors would probably just send Patrick and Scott back to us; and Patricia and Abby are a bit too fond of their only sons to let us give them away to charity anyway.

While some of Patrick’s and Scott’s antics were entertaining enough, they never know when to quit while they’re ahead; and went overboard with their gags and pranks and they took full advantage of the parent-free time while Patricia and Owen were at the Pub for Dad’s party.  Rowen eventually lost her patience with them, and though the boys both seem to forget that there’s a fiery side to Rowen; she certainly reminded them of that tonight in a very loud, graphic way that stunned them into retreating to Patrick’s room and staying there for the rest of the night.  I guess it has been a while since she’s let the fire take over from the normal quiet and shy; but she also knows that Patrick will chalk that up as a victory for him – once the shock of getting blasted by his sister wears off.

Rowen and I managed to have a music practice to get ready for our class and band practice tomorrow, and we watched a show in the living room after that – or tried to do both while dealing with the determined pair of pranksters.  We followed that up with a bedtime snack and drinks in the kitchen, and then Rowen sent Patrick and Scott up to bed by a bit after ten while we cleaned up.  According to the boys, we were not babysitting, and I’d agree with that; but only because babies are easier to take care of and keep out of trouble.  Rowen and I spent more than an hour and a half dealing with Patrick, Scott, and their continually expanding repertoire of gags, jokes, and pranks – right up until Rowen lost it on them.  My least-favorite prank moments list tonight was topped by the attempts to scare me while I was getting ready for bed in the bathroom.  That wasn’t because Patrick and Scott actually scared me – it’s just seriously weird to be washing up and getting changed with two boys right there on the other side of the door – regardless of what they’re doing.

Dealing with Patrick and Scott put a real kink into my usual nightly computing and studies, but they were at least in their room and possibly sleeping when Patricia and Owen got home from the Pub.  They weren’t really late, but only checked in with us for a minute before going to bed; and we didn’t even try to get a birthday party report from them tonight – or tell them about our evening at home with the prankster pair extraordinaire.  Rowen went to sleep shortly after that, and while I kicked it into high gear for my studies and work, I couldn’t use any Magi power to help with that; and wrapped that work up at two o’clock – even though I only managed to get about half of my normal studies done.

I only put that time limit on myself tonight because I’m still getting used to the time change; and it feels like three o’clock still.  There’s quite a bit that I haven’t covered in this update, but this has been one of those nights where there’s just too much going on to write about it all; and I’m ready to put my computer away and get some sleep.  We might get to have a couple of fairly quiet days, but then we’ll have another birthday party on Thursday and the football game on Friday before getting into whatever we have going on for the weekend.  Since I’ll also need to try and catch up on the work I didn’t get done tonight; I really do need to crash and snooze for a while, so...

...Live long and prosper, fellow Magi of the Light!