Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Winter has, for the most part, been mild so far - or awesome for the month that Cassie and Michael spent in summertime-Australia! They are home now and will be working from home for most of the time until Easter. The hometown work will include getting ready for their next trip, but there will be a lot of fun to get in on and share with their favorite people - including their March Break trip to Florida adventure. All of your favorite Magi Masters will continue to work and play while their future plans unfold; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Cassie's Journal - November 22, 2013



Millions of people are remembering and commemorating the fiftieth anniversary of John F. Kennedy’s assassination, so by comparison to that, local high school football doesn’t seem that important – except that it is for a lot of people here in Witch Falls.  That’s why it is my top story for yet another Friday update; and it’s great news for the Ridge River Raiders.  Once I finish thawing out, I may even manage to get excited about the fact that they’ll be playing for the small-school Division Championship match.

There were probably quite a few people expecting an easy win before the game started because our team had won fairly convincingly when we’d played Grand Summit in the second round of the playoffs last season, but they’re a better team this year; and the cold weather was a big equalizer for at least the first three quarters of the match.  They even scored first, and the lead changed hands three times before we managed to get the lead back and keep it for the rest of the game.  The final score was thirty-eight to thirty-one; and could have gone the other way very easily if the Grand Summit offense hadn’t run out of gas and given up two fourth-quarter interceptions to Kyle.  The game was all about defense too; since both offenses gave up big plays to the other team’s defense, and most points were earned from turnovers.

All of that action did make for a great game to watch, and the slightly more than half of the spectators that weren’t supporting Grand Summit needed to celebrate for quite a while – and continued to do that for nearly an hour despite the cold.  Tim invited Michael, Rowen, and I to the post-game party at his uncle and aunt’s house, so we went there straight from the school; and spent the first half-hour or so helping with the work that was being done before Kyle, his teammates, and most of the other guests joined the party.  I checked in at home shortly after we got to the Landry’s house, and while Dad was home; Violet and Dillon weren’t going to be back until around eleven-thirty, so Michael and I decided to hang out with Tim and Rowen until then.

The guys always manage to astound me with the amount of food an entire team of football players can demolish; and they were even more fired up tonight now that they were getting a second chance at winning a championship.  That excitement kicked up several notches when we found out that three-time champions, Clairmont, had won their game too; and we’d be trying to win our first championship in a very long time while trying to keep them from winning a fourth in a row.  That’s exactly the challenge Kyle was hoping for; so now we’ll find out soon whether Clairmont’s history of success and another obviously good team will be better than Kyle’s talent and towering desire to prove himself to be the kind of footballer his father was.

Dad wasn’t going to be home in time for the start of the game anyway, but I don’t think that Ethan really had a problem with staying warm and missing the game tonight.  He was at Uncle Adam and Aunt Leanne’s house with Mom, Ehlana, and most of the family for dinner and a holiday weekend cooking night.  I have mixed feelings about missing out on that, since my jobs would have included a lot of vegetable peeling and dishwashing; but I’m sure they had lots of fun – and weren’t frozen solid from being outdoors for well-over three hours.

I think it actually felt worse when Michael and I walked home, but only because we’d started to warm up while at the party only to plunge ourselves back into those freezing temperatures again.  Mom, Dad, Ethan, and Ehlana were home by the time we got back; and the twins were up and looking forward to seeing Violet and Dillon for a few minutes before going to bed.  Our two favorite college teens rolled in about ten minutes after Michael and I got back; and it was back out into the outdoor freezer again so we could welcome them and help carry Violet’s bags inside.

Hot chocolate or coffee, and warmed up Olde Bakery treats helped a bit while we had a little chat before Dillon and Michael both headed home by shortly after midnight; and I should mention that it’s more than a little weird to be kissing my boyfriend goodnight at the same time Violet’s doing the same with Dillon.  She and I tucked Ethan and Ehlana in for the night after that, and then we sat in the living room with Mom and Dad and continued talking until nearly one o’clock before we all went up to bed.

Violet was tired out by then, but the offer of a dip in my Jacuzzi was too tempting to put off until tomorrow night; and she’s doing that now as I write this.  She’s also going to stay with Mandy and me tonight, though I seriously doubt our girl chat will last very long before one of us passes out – we’ve both pretty much been on the go since early morning; and neither of us managed to sleep much last night.  Other than my usual nightly computer checks and answering an email from Dawn that was mostly about Violet; I’m not doing any studying or family business work tonight.

As expected, I also didn’t get a chance to talk with Michael or Tim about Rowen’s birthday tonight; and since I haven’t seen her online while I’ve had my computer on; Rowen’s probably gone to sleep already, so I haven’t talked with her either.  I’ll need to do that tomorrow, since I could tell that she was having a tough time trying to be happy for everyone tonight; and I’m sure she expects that Tim and Michael will be going to the championship game next Friday.  I’ve already mentioned that Michael and I could be in for a first fight if he and Tim don’t make the right decisions for Rowen’s birthday, but one way or the other; I will make sure that my best friend has an amazing day – even if I have to spend some quality time knocking some sense into one or more boys!

That’s at least an amusing place to end this update, so I’m going to do that; put my computer away; and try to finish warming up while Mandy and I wait for Violet to join us for a chat and nap.

Live long and prosper, fellow Magi of the Light!