Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Sping is in the air in Witch Falls, and while Cassie and Michael are sharing their Light with the world; most of our favorite Magi are enjoying their home town adventures with most of their favorite people - whether that is at work or play! Whether at home or elsewhere in the world, there is a lot going on for all of our favorite Magi as we head through Spring toward the first holiday weekend of the summer season at the end of May. You won't want to miss out on any of the action; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Cassie's Journal - February 26, 2013



Yes, we have a SNOW DAY!

We also had another power outage emergency too, and I didn’t end up getting much sleep before waking up at around five-thirty when I sensed or heard Mom and Dad moving around.  I got up and dressed appropriately to work outdoors.  Mom was in the kitchen when I got downstairs, and Dad was outside already; shoveling his way out to the generator so he could get it fired up.  A fire was already started in the living room fireplace; and Mom was getting things ready for incoming while waiting for the generator to kick in.

Dad was going to need to get his truck going to help pick up everyone in town needing someplace warm to go until the power was fixed, so after I hugged Mom and got the update; I grabbed my coat, gloves, and boots; and headed outside to start shoveling the driveway.  We already had maybe five or six inches by then – it was hard to tell with the blowing and drifting.  It was also really heavy, and I was making very slow progress when Dad joined me.  The work went a lot faster after that, and I mostly cleaned up behind Dad as he dug in and threw shovels full of snow in a steady, unbroken rhythm.  We joked about easier ways we might be able to do the work if only we could apply a little Magi power to the job, but speed shoveling or auto-cleaning driveways and sidewalks would just be too hard to explain; and the Magi council has apparently already ruled on those kinds of requests several times over the last couple of centuries.

We concentrated on getting the driveway cleared from his truck to the road first, and then he cleaned off his truck and headed out for his first pickup while I started on the sidewalk to the front porch next.  I had that done, and was taking a break in the kitchen with Mom, Ethan, and Ehlana when he dropped off George and Madeline Morris and their two kids, Natalie and Mike.  Natalie will be two in March, and will be a future classmate of Ethan’s and Ehlana’s; and Mikey is about five months old – and the main reason why they were near the top of the transportation list this year.

Thanks to our incoming guests, I quickly had some snow support after that.  George Morris helped me for a while, and then Philip Seager joined us outside after getting Liz and Naomi into the house.  We had Mom’s van, and most of the rest of the driveway dug out by the time that Tammy Morris, her brother, and parents were dropped off; and Jeff and his Dad relieved us so we could rest up and get some breakfast.  By then, there was enough more snow for them to start the whole process over again; with close to two more inches on the ground.

Being twelve now has definitely changed things for me since my experience with ‘the storm’ my first winter here.  The good news is that I had Tammy for company, and once our last group of guests – Alicia Jennings, and her parents and brother – joined us; we were mostly given the easiest outdoor jobs.  We kept the sidewalks and porches cleared; helped at the unloading end of the firewood delivery line; and took a couple of turns babysitting Ethan, Ehlana, and the other toddlers.

Mom had lots of help with making meals, and that’s when we had most of our guests in the house.  The snow started to taper off by mid-morning, and after that, most of the guys were out and around town helping out with whatever work needed to be done.  There was a giant pot of stew ready for everyone by lunchtime, along with variety trays full of sandwiches; hot drinks; snack sides; and Olde Bakery desserts.  Tammy and I helped out with the kids while we ate; stayed for the clean-up; and then we were set free for the afternoon so we could go and play with our friends.

We met up with Rowen first, and then invited Rebecca to join us before heading for the toboggan hill.  The Stones had some guests too, so we ended up collecting extra kids, and I stopped in at home again to help out with getting some extra sleds.  Some of the guys, including Michael, started a snowball fight while we were still in my yard, and that delayed us for quite a while as we chased each other around the yard and tossed snowballs at each other.

Once we finally made it to the hill, I expected to be wading through deep snow after each run, but there’d already been a lot of kids playing there already, and as long as we stayed on the beaten path, the slope was in perfect condition for both the sliding and the return walk.  With the extra kids and teens, we didn’t have enough sleds for everyone; so we paired or tripled up with the bigger toboggans.  Rowen and I used hers, and that was fine with both of us until she decided to lose her mind for a few moments and pull an Aunt Leanne.

Timing is everything too, and she couldn’t have picked a worse time to prank me by getting Michael to sit on her sled behind me before shoving both of us down the hill.  There’s even a chance that Mother Nature was in on the conspiracy too.  I knew what was happening the moment Michael sat behind me; put his arms around my waist; and stretched his legs out against mine.  We were both laughing, and our run was great – right up until the point where we blasted past the well-packed area where most sleds had been stopping; and plowed into the deep snow beyond.  We didn’t crash, but we were pretty much buried to our waists.

If you guessed that was when Lisa reached the hill with a group of friends and other kids and teens; give yourself a pat on the back.  Michael still has his arms wrapped around my waist; we’re laughing our heads off; buried in snow; and since his hands were under the snow too, that probably didn’t look good at all to his girlfriend.  The whole scene turned into a comedy sketch after that, though certain spectators were not at all amused.  Getting out of the snow wasn’t easy.  I needed to stand first; helped Michael to get up too; and then he slipped on the sled and I ended up on my back; buried in snow again; with Michael on top of me.

I know, but it was funny, and I couldn’t help but laugh about it.  That was also when I saw Lisa at the top of the hill as I looked to see how many witnesses there’d been to that little moment.  Laughing harder didn’t help my case with her, and advising Michael that his girlfriend was not currently amused with us only helped to keep the comedy going.  In his defense, he was only trying to help after knocking me over, but putting his arms around me to help me up probably looked a lot like hugging, and keeping an arm around my waist as we waded back out of the deeper snow didn’t have gone over any better with Lisa.

Could we have been lucky enough for that to be the end of it?  Of course not!

By the time we were back on snowy-firma, Lisa was on her way down the hill toward us.  I’m sure she didn’t intend to run into us, and definitely wasn’t happy when I ended up in the snow again with Michael on top of me after he pulled us both out of the way of her sled at the last moment.  Again, laughing about it didn’t help; but we both laughed anyway.  Since I wasn’t buried this time, I was able to get up easily enough, and though I didn’t really want to leave Michael to take all of the heat; we both knew that staying to defend him would have only made things worse.  Instead, I grabbed Rowen’s sled and headed up the hill.

I took a moment to bean my best friend with a snow ball while she laughed at me unapologetically, and then we went back to our sledding; and tried to stay out of Michael and Lisa’s way while we continued to play and have fun with our friends.  Since we saw Lisa eventually laughing an having fun too, Michael must have worked things out with her, but I still got icy glares whenever I made eye contact with Lisa; and Michael looked like he was trying not to grin or laugh whenever I looked at him.

By four o’clock, I was ready to go home and get warmed up.  It was almost four-thirty by the time I made it into the house after walking home; putting sleds away and saying goodbye to Rowen, Rebecca, and most of the other girls and boys who had come back with us.  Michael and Lisa were not in that group for some reason.  Tammy was still hanging out with some friends, so I was on my own when I went inside.

Mom and Dad already had dinner cooking going on in the kitchen, and lots of help, so I sat at the table after getting a cup of hot chocolate; and gave them the afternoon update.  I spent a lot of the next couple of hours in the kitchen.  Most of the ‘kids’ had dinner there while the parents and older teens were in the dining room.  The hour-long clean-up that followed kept all of the teens and tweens busy, and that was mostly because the power started coming back online again.  That had the Dads heading out to start checking on houses and making sure everything would be fine at home before moving any of the younger kids again.

I would have loved doing a storm night sleepover, but within a couple of hours, all of our guests were ready to go home again; and this little snow emergency ended up feeling like a big family and friends party day instead of a major bonding event.  Despite not having any overnight guests, there was still a fair bit of clean-up work to do once Mom, Ethan, Ehlana, and I were on our own again; and Dad was still out driving people around town.  I have no idea how many showers were taken, but there was a lot of laundry just from that, plus some nap time bedding, and our usual laundry that hadn’t gotten done during the day.  I helped with that; cleaned the guest bathrooms; and Mom and I tag-teamed taking care of Ethan and Ehlana.

Dad didn’t have any work to do after finally getting home, but by then, we only really had time to do the bedtime snack and story with Ethan and Ehlana before they were tucked in for the night; and then Mom decided that she and Dad needed to have an early bedtime.  They didn’t go to sleep anytime soon after I was sent up to my room for the night, but let’s not go there.

I was in need of some Jacuzzi time by then anyway, so that was the first order of business; but I multi-tasked while in the tub too.  Next up was a little computer chat with my best friend.  She still isn’t even remotely sorry for setting me up for that little sledding incident with Michael, and was happy to have another few laughs while reminding me of the highlights – not that my photographic memory will let me forget anyway.  Yes, I had fun with it, but could have done without all of the tweeird that we ended up having too.

Let’s not think about Michael and I buried in snow with his arms and legs wrapped around me either and move along.  Rowen and I chatted for nearly an hour, but I did some archive reading too, and decided to skip the language lessons tonight.  That only left this and my nightly email, news, sports, and entertainment checks to deal with after I finished doing my hair and climbed into bed with Mandy.  There isn’t anything new to report from around the family; and not really much email to deal with either.  Though we could get another inch or more of snow overnight, it looks like school will be back on again tomorrow, and most, if not all, businesses will be open again too.

Rowen and I didn’t have our usual after-school work shifts today, but we’re still having our usual play time tomorrow so we can take advantage of the snow while we have it around to enjoy.  I can always add some family business work to my bedtime computing, or do a bit extra on the weekend.  We’ll just play that by ear this week.  I’m going to wrap this up now and try to get some sleep; but I may need to not think of entire fields full of soft, cuddly bunnies to get there from where I’m at now.

Make that snowy hills full of soft, cuddling – I mean cuddly – bunnies.

This is all your fault, Rowen Emerson!

Until next time, this is Magi Master Cassie Proctor; logging out!