Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Sping is in the air in Witch Falls, and while Cassie and Michael are sharing their Light with the world; most of our favorite Magi are enjoying their home town adventures with most of their favorite people - whether that is at work or play! Whether at home or elsewhere in the world, there is a lot going on for all of our favorite Magi as we head through Spring toward the first holiday weekend of the summer season at the end of May. You won't want to miss out on any of the action; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Cassie's Journal - March 28, 2014



Congratulations, Heather and Adam – you are officially owners of a beautiful, riverfront home in the new section of town!  I’ll guess that the Green family is in for a busy weekend helping them move in; but all of that work will be worth it for them to be in their new home in time for Brandon’s second birthday on Monday.

We’re not going to be directly involved in that move, though Mom and Dad will be helping out with some food and drinks to help them feed the volunteer movers; and we have a nice house-warming gift for them too.  Uncle Mark and Aunt Grace may help a bit at the new house, since they are going to be across-the-street neighbors, though I haven’t heard anything specific; and the Green clan really does have a lot of big, strong guys available to make fairly short work of the heavy lifting – along with a small fleet of delivery trucks to haul everything in.

Compared to getting a new house, my day was fairly tame; but Michael, Tim, Rowen, and I also had a lot of fun too – especially once we were set free from school for the weekend.  Before I get to that part of the report, though; let’s start from the beginning.

It was fairly chilly this morning when Michael came over for Tai Chi, and while he still needed to rush around a bit to do that with us and then get to his weight training at school; Mom and I didn’t let him escape without getting some hot food into him on the run.  I’d like to think that my goodbye hug and kisses helped to keep him warm until we met up again at school, but even if that didn’t work; it did keep both of us smiling for a while.

We didn’t have anything else out of the norm going on at home this morning, and I was ready to go early enough to meet up with Rowen at her house before she was ready to head out; so that gave me a chance to catch up on some chat time with her parents and Patrick while I waited for her.  Owen and Patricia are busy with tax season, but the big rush is coming over the next couple of weeks, and with the added pressure of the new data center; they’ll be very busy.  Rowen’s going to help out more too, but I think that we should do a few bonus sleepovers at my house to give them a break on the home front; and maybe Patrick could spend some extra time at Scott’s house too.  I know that they’re overjoyed with how successful their business is becoming now; but that won’t mean much if they burn out before getting to enjoy the benefits of that success.

Getting back on track, Rowen and I headed to school once she was ready; we met up with Michael and Tim after their weight training workout; and pretty much needed to get right to our home room class.  We had a Day One schedule Friday, so I was the only student in our class that actually liked starting out the last day of the week with Spanish; but nobody minds ending the school week with Phys-Ed for last class – especially when we take it outdoors.  It was a bit cooler today, and the yard was still wet; but at least the rain moved on by then and it was nice to be out of the gym again for a change.

There isn’t anything to write about from our classes today.  We’re continuing the new modules, and while we will start seeing quizzes again by next week; there’ll be a bit of a reprieve from major tests for at least another week or two.  While that doesn’t bother me one way or the other; it certainly takes the stress level down for about half of my classmates.  The homework load is a different story.  We still took the evening off from working on it; but Michael, Tim, Rowen, and I will need to get together sometime this weekend to work on a couple of projects – even if we do the rest of our work on our own.

I sense another Sunday afternoon work session in my near future; but that’s preferable to skipping what I hope will be some Michael and me alone time tomorrow night to study instead.

On the teen talk front around school, Heather and Adam Green’s new house made the grapevine news through some cousins; and there are lots of kids and teens looking at those new homes with wishful eyes and hopeful dreams.  I might be one of those dreamers; though that’s as much because I know that my future will not include inheriting the Proctor family home from Mom and Dad.  That’ll be Ethan’s honor – and burden.  Okay, yes, I might know more than that about my future; but let’s not spoil any surprises tonight.

Returning to the teen talk topic, weekend plans were top news too; but not really in an upbeat way because nearly everyone old enough to help out with chores knew by this morning that the weather was going to cooperate for the next couple of days and make spring clean-ups a certainty.  Easter is just three weeks away, and while it’s still too cold most nights to plant new flowers quite yet; gardens and yards need to be readied for the impending spring renewal.  Add in post-winter maintenance; and most of us are going to be in for very long work days – at least on Saturday.  You will not hear me complain – especially when I hear some of my farm-kid friends telling me about some of the work they have to do every spring – often in very muddy conditions.

Work was the last thing on my mind once we were set free for the weekend.  Michael and I split up with Rowen and Tim long enough to drop our bags off at our homes and collect our bikes; and then we went for a long ride.  That started with a stop at the Emporium for trail rations and drinks; we did the usual construction sites tour; and then headed East along the river.  With all of the rain we’ve had over the past couple of days, we knew the trails at the park would be a quagmire – except for the main pathway – so we instead rode East for almost an hour to see how far we could get; and then biked back to town in time to meet up with Tim’s parents at his house after they were done work for the day.

My family was taking a break from dinner and a movie night, and since Michael’s and Rowen’s parents were both working; Martin and Tracey agreed to Tim’s request for having the four of us at their house for the evening.  While Tim’s parents share the store and shop hours with his aunt and uncle; they still put in long work weeks – just as every business owner in town does; so helping them with making dinner and cleaning up was as expected as it is at my house.  Rowen and I helped Tracey with making dinner, but there wasn’t anything sexist about that decision – Tim was put to work getting his bedroom and the family room presentable for ‘gentler’ company; and he drafted Michael to help him.  Martin allowed that, but only because Michael was used to Tim’s usual state of not-so-clean.  According to Tracey, Tim has actually improved significantly since he started dating Rowen; and she also noted that he hadn’t made that effort with anyone before her – without mentioning any names.

The boys got the worst of that deal anyway, since it really didn’t take much work to throw together a large pot of spaghetti; some appetizers; and a couple of pans full of extra-cheesy garlic bread.  While the food was great, it was the dinner conversation that I loved the most.  I hear more about the local farming news and everything else that goes on around Landry’s showroom and shop through Tim’s parents than from anywhere else – including my farm-based friends.  So far, the farmers are apparently fairly happy with the weather; though that can change fairly quickly if we get too much rain or a major dry spell.  For now, though, there hasn’t been any major flooding thanks to staggered melt-off of winter snow; and spring always brings out the optimism in most farmers around here.

All I’m thinking about for that is how optimistic – and happy – they’ll be in the not too distant future when Ehlana succeeds with some of her pet projects at the lab when it opens in September.  Drought-resistant crops are one of her top priorities, and while she can’t do too much physical work or experimentation on that yet; she has been thinking about it a lot and doing research for a while now.  I’m not going to be very deeply involved in the lab, or the work that Ethan and Ehlana will do there; but it is going to be very cool to watch it all happen!

We’re still a bit young to get very excited about cars, but it was fun hearing about some of the new vehicles that Tracey and Sarah are bringing in this year.  Tim is almost as interested in talking cars as football; but then he’s only personally interested in one car for himself – a Corvette.  Football still wins for now, but I’m sure that’ll change between now and when he can get his license.  I can relate to liking sports cars, but some of my parents’ practicality has rubbed off on me too; since I’ll be thinking more about space and convenience than fast and cool when it comes time for me to buy my first car.

Maybe we should have gotten a sports car to drive around in back when it was just you and me, Mom!  That wouldn’t have been keeping a low profile; but might have helped us with some of those close call escapes. ;^)

There was some talk about new farm equipment for this year too; but that wasn’t quite as interesting for half of us so Tracey, Rowen, and I missed out on some of that while we talked about ‘girl things’.  That included everything from new babies and pregnancies to a bit of romance gossip; and that kept us entertained through the tail-end of dinner and dessert.  It was teen time in the kitchen for the clean-up; and then Michael, Tim, Rowen, and I went outside and over to the school to toss a football around for a while.

Now that Michael and Tim are both taller than Rowen and me, they’re starting to gain some advantages over us when it comes to some sports, but I have some other advantages to compensate; and Rowen is still under-estimated by nearly everyone for her athletic ability – not to mention her fiery competitiveness.  I bring that up here because the four of us actually make a pretty good team.  I can throw a football to exactly where any of my friends are going to be when at a flat-out run; Michael and Tim can catch anything if the ball is on-target; and Rowen can run and dodge with a football better than either Michael or Tim can manage.  I can also tell you that it’s probably a good thing that there isn’t a high school co-ed football league.  The parents and teachers would likely have a problem with all of the hugs and kisses after each football play – not that Rowen and I would be interested in doing that with our boys in front of a crowd.  The group of younger girls at the playground giggled at us, though; and the boys happily gagged and tried to razz us.

We didn’t play football for very long before heading back to Tim’s house; and then we wound down the evening with some video gaming.  As usual, the boys did most of the gaming while Rowen and I were content to cuddle with them and chat for a few hours.  Some of that chat time included Tim’s parents; but they left us on our own for most of the evening.  That didn’t mean we had any alone time for even a minor make-out session – which is why I’m really hoping that Michael and I can manage that tomorrow night; but we had a lot of fun anyway.  Even with everything we fit into those hours between the start of weekend freedom and the end of the night; it still seemed too soon when it was time to head for home.

Michael and I left first, but took a slow walk while waiting for Rowen to say goodnight to Tim and catch up with us so we could walk her home on our way to my house.  That cut into the time we had for our own goodnight hugs and kisses on my front porch; but by then I was pretty much ready to come up to bed anyway – especially after running all day on just a few hours of sleep last night.

That’s why I’ve skipped a lot of my usual nightly computing after climbing into bed with Mandy, and even with a bit of family business work that came up; I’ll still be off to sleep before one o’clock.  I know, that’s still not going to be much sleep, but if needed; I can always cheat with a little Magi-powered fatigue banishing in the morning.  I am ready to get started on that sleep time, and don’t have any other news for today; so, until next time…

…Live long and prosper, fellow Magi of the Light!