Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Sping is in the air in Witch Falls, and while Cassie and Michael are sharing their Light with the world; most of our favorite Magi are enjoying their home town adventures with most of their favorite people - whether that is at work or play! Whether at home or elsewhere in the world, there is a lot going on for all of our favorite Magi as we head through Spring toward the first holiday weekend of the summer season at the end of May. You won't want to miss out on any of the action; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Cassie's Journal - March 11, 2014



We had another change in our usual Tuesday night schedule; though this time it wasn’t weather-related – we just ended up spending the evening at Rowen’s house after Michael, Tim, and I were invited to go there for dinner when Rowen’s mother found out that we were expecting to put in extra study time together after dinner to finish up a project and get ready for two tests.

The weather was still very nice today – at least until the rain started at around dinnertime and the temperature started dropping like a rock; but the crash back into winter isn’t supposed to last long.  Since tomorrow is an after-school work day anyway; I don’t really mind the timing for that at all.  Our extra studying tonight was fairly well-timed too for both Rowen and me; since alone time opportunities with our boyfriends and dealing with our periods doesn’t really work out very well anyway.  I’m also glad that we’ll be getting that out of the way this week instead of during March Break; so we’ll be done with it by the time we’re ready to get started on a week of fun and adventures.

That’s actually something we talked about a bit tonight while we studied; partly because Mom and Dad have decided that she’s going to take Ethan, Ehlana, Michael, and me to Crystal Springs for three days and two nights next week.  Mom’s birthday is on Monday, so we’re going to be at home for a birthday breakfast that Dad will need to miss because he’ll already be in the city; and then we’ll head there too and have Mom’s birthday celebration there.  I’m sure that Mom would have at least been going there for an overnight stay on Monday one way or the other, and this change was made after Violet and Dillon firmed up their plans.  Michael and I found out about it when we checked in at home on our way to Rowen’s house; and Miranda and Jacob had already given their approval for the trip – even though that means he’ll need an extra day off from the Inn on a holiday week.  I’ll try to find some extra time to help out there to make up for that; but we’ll see how that goes with everything else we already have planned.

I’m sure that Rowen and Tim would have liked to go along with us, but that isn’t an option this time; and I think they’ll manage to keep themselves entertained while their best friends are away for a few days.  Rowen and I also talked about what we can do with Dawn and Jillian while they’re here, and though we want to spend time with Michael and Tim too; Michael will be spending a lot of time at the Inn; Tim’s going to spend time at the shop with his father; and we’ll end up with a fair bit of girls-only time anyway.  Some of our ideas will depend on the weather; but sleepovers and other indoor fun will be part of the action for sure; and I’ve already sent off some email invitations tonight for a dinner, movie, makeover, and sleepover night.

Getting back to the action from today, we were busy enough at school with tests and other work; we spent our entire lunch break outdoors, enjoying the warm that broke into the seventies for a while this afternoon; and band practice ended up being a bit short again when a few too many teens skipped it in favor of spending that time outdoors instead.  I can see how that must get frustrating for Mrs. Robinson, and while I’m not going to promise that I’ll never skip a band practice for no reason other than I’d rather be doing anything else; I will try to keep that in mind and not do it very often.

Tim did get to goof off outside with some of the guys while waiting for us; and we weren’t surprised to find out that tossing a football around was involved – even though the football field was too sodden for them to use.  He wasn’t really all that interested in heading over to the computer store when it was time to get started on our studies, but reminding him that we had a fair bit to get done tonight – including getting ready for a test in one of his least-favorite subjects – was enough to draw him away from the football action.  He may grumble a lot about the extra work we put in when studying together; but then he also likes the results of that work – at least from the parental relationship point of view.

I don’t actually have much to report from our time at the computer store or at Rowen’s house.  Rowen’s parents had Patrick and Scott with us for dinner too, but they didn’t cause any problems tonight; and some gaming time with Michael and Tim while Rowen and I helped out with cooking.  They stayed out of our way while we studied in the dining room after we all finished eating and cleaning the kitchen; and I’m sure that nobody reading this needs a play-by-play of our test preparation or the details of our little Grade Eight projects.  It is sometimes a bit strange having both Michael and Rowen know how pointless all of that work is for me yet not be able to deal with that openly when we’re together, but then it is all for appearances anyway; and it is more fun to hang out together – even if that means we have to play ‘normal’ teens to do that.

It would be nice if the Magi council was ready to give us a bit more slack for that, but I should be happy with what we are allowed; considering how much more that is compared to what most Magi kids and teens are allowed.  At least if we do this well-enough; it’ll help all of the younger Magi kids – and future generations.  Yes, that’s already changing for Ethan, Ehlana, and even our little cousins; but we’re still a very long way from kids and teens being allowed to know about all other Magi or training together in groups.  We still really only have a comparatively few kids being taught with Mom’s more advanced pre-natal and neo-natal programs; so even that is a long-term project.

That’s getting off on a side-trip again; and I really don’t want to sound like I’m complaining.  Mom and I just have a different perspective on Magi training; but we understand and appreciate how the Magi Council has chosen to deal with our collective situation to protect everyone.

Anyway, since Magi-powered studying wasn’t an option tonight, it took a while to work through our project and have Tim feeling fairly comfortable about the tests we’ll be writing tomorrow; so we didn’t have any time left to play anymore before Michael, Tim, and I all needed to head home for the night.  Michael and I left first so that Rowen and Tim didn’t have an audience for their goodnight hugs and kisses; but then we wanted to be alone for a few moments too – even though we were both damp and a bit chilled when we said goodnight on my front porch after running there through the steady rain.  That kind of weather does have one advantage – we didn’t have a group of witnesses like we often do on nice-weather days – and especially during the summer.

For those Magi reading this in the future who didn’t grow up here in Witch Falls – or don’t live here anymore – I want to remind you that we don’t have a town full of voyeurs here.  That’s just the way it is in a small, close-knit community like ours, and even though it can occasionally be annoying to earn a starring role on the gossip news network; that’s nothing compared to everything that’s wonderful and best about living here.  That’s something else that comes from the perspective of a girl who spent the first nine years and change of her life on the run and often prevented by necessity from getting too close to anyone except my mother, but even if you live in a big city; think about getting to know your neighbors.  Those connections are what really matter in life – not your career, social status, or whatever else you think is more important than your family, friends, and community.

It’s way too easy to forget that sometimes.

Even though I didn’t get to really spend much time with Mom, Dad, Ethan, and Ehlana today, we did at least start and end the day together; and I was home in time to do the bedtime story and snack with my brother and sister.  I also had a bit of one-on-one chat time with each of them when it was time to tuck them in for the night; and then it was time for Mom to do my Magi lesson with me.  She keeps very detailed records of my lessons and archive assignments; but it’s probably past-time for me to add an update here.

We’ve both noted in our archives and journals that my training has been sped up compared to where Mom was in her training at my age – before her parents were killed in the plane crash; and that pace has continued even though there isn’t any immediate danger from the Hathornes or other Dark Magi.  Having other Magi to train with is obviously different for me too; but that helps me more right now with learning to teach as opposed to learning new skills.  I’m not going to add anything here about the details of my training tonight; but it’s time to mention that the day that I’ll begin my self-training is approaching fast.

It isn’t that Mom can’t continue to teach me – and she will still be able to do that for a long time.  I’m just getting to the point where I know enough, and have the control and abilities required to teach myself and choose my own learning path – just as she did after finding out about the archives shortly after learning of her vast inheritance.  I’d suggest that she’ll love being freed of that almost-daily chore; but then something else will come up to fill those empty hours each week.

Quit grinning, Dad; I don’t need that mental picture now – or whenever you’re reading this in the future some day.  Then again, you might not be grinning; since you’ll know what probably didn’t get to happen with that ‘spare’ time! ;^)

I so shouldn’t have gone there – quick, change the subject!

Once my Magi lesson on the elements was finished, Mom, Dad, and I all went up to bed; and I used a bit of Magi power to get what I wanted to work on finished while still being able to get to sleep before midnight.  I don’t have anything at all to report from any of that, and if I can move on from those thoughts about Mom and Dad quickly enough; I’ll still manage to make that happen.  With that in mind, that’s all for tonight; so, until next time...

...Live long and prosper, fellow Magi of the Light!