Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Winter has, for the most part, been mild so far - or awesome for the month that Cassie and Michael spent in summertime-Australia! They are home now and will be working from home for most of the time until Easter. The hometown work will include getting ready for their next trip, but there will be a lot of fun to get in on and share with their favorite people - including their March Break trip to Florida adventure. All of your favorite Magi Masters will continue to work and play while their future plans unfold; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Friday, May 2, 2014

Cassie's Journal - May 1, 2014



It’s May, but there were still April showers hanging on today; though not as much as we’ve had over the past two days.  Maybe Mother Nature has been telling us that a bunch of kids from Witch Falls don’t belong in a place like Washington; since it’s just starting to clear up now that we’re down to hours before we head home in the morning.

Another long travel day is a good reason for me to keep this short and get some extra sleep; but I have a lot to cover tonight – and will likely be winding down for a while.

The main reason for that is because I had a stalker following me around while we were in Colonial Williamsburg today – someone I had hoped we wouldn’t see while on this trip – or ever again, for that matter.

Gawain Hathorne – aka, as Aunt Leanne would say, my sperm donor – came to Williamsburg for reasons that I can only speculate at now because he didn’t attempt to make contact with me.  My guess is that he had a change of heart about whatever he did have planned for us today; which was a good thing for all of us.  He didn’t use his powers at all while around us, and stayed far enough away that I didn’t pick up anything empathically, but the last time that I caught a glimpse of him before he left; he didn’t seem to be angry at all.  If anything, I’d say he looked a bit sad and regretful.

His appearance had a fairly significant impact on my morning, and even though nothing happened; I stayed close to my Magi chaperones; let Uncle Nick know that I had a potential problem; and tried to juggle playing happy student tourist while wondering if I was going to have another confrontation with Gawain that could put some of the people I love most in danger.  I knew that there was danger approaching before I saw him, but there wasn’t anything I could do about it by then, and in this case; it seems that a Dark Magi made a good choice for a change.

There’s no point in dragging this out too long, but before I move on; I should mention that Gawain has definitely not changed sides or anything.  We know a lot of what goes on around Hathorne Industries; and he and Kellie – and Gwyneth – all still do a lot of very bad things on a regular basis.  I know, Gwyneth isn’t quite three yet, but there are enough unfortunate ‘accidents’ happening around her – particularly with her nannies or teachers – to suggest that bad things happen when she gets upset.  If Gawain really did decide to walk away and leave me alone from now on, there’s a ray of hope for his soul; but I doubt that even he knows if he’s strong enough to turn away from the dark.

I’ll have just a bit more on that as we go along with the update; but let’s get to the sightseeing and fun with friends part of the report.

The top story on the grapevine morning news wasn’t fun, but then Sally and Gretchen gave Rowen and me the heads up on it when they got back to our room last night.  Nora broke up with Brock, which wasn’t really a surprise to any of us; since Nora had basically been ignoring her boyfriend all week while hanging out with Vanessa and flirting with what seemed like every boy they met and thought was hot or interesting.  There are always lots of student tours going on in this city; so there were lots of boys for them to flirt with – even here at our hotel.

Unlike the other two recent break-ups, Nora didn’t leave a broken-hearted partner in her wake.  Brock is more mad about the whole thing than anything else, and while I’d say that Nora’s break-up with Tim was a lot worse; Brock didn’t have anything nice to say about Nora today – though he did keep his comments quiet and only with his best friend.  No, I wasn’t eavesdropping – unless you consider the fact that I pick up everything around me and remember it all whether I want to or not.

We were up and on the road very early this morning because our first stop of the day was to have breakfast in Williamsburg.  Michael and I didn’t have time for Tai Chi, and I was very glad that I didn’t stay up late and got an extra couple of hours of down time – especially considering the unexpected company we had today.  The first thing I want to mention about our destination today is that it is impossible to see everything in one day, and if you want to hit all of the attractions and amusement parks here; plan on spending a week here.

Since I do really love history, this was as much fun for me as the Smithsonian was yesterday.  Only having a morning to be immersed in colonial life in Williamsburg was too short, and being distracted by Gawain made it harder to appreciate the experience at the time; but I do at least have all of those memories, and can replay them later with a Dark Magi filter on to screen out that part of the adventure.  I haven’t been able to tell Rowen about Gawain coming to see me yet, but Michael was in the loop; and I really appreciated his silent report – and the extra hugs and kisses were pretty good too.

Uncle Nick and Principal Jacobs picked the few places we had time to explore on our tour around Williamsburg, and while there was no way to do everything; we did cover three different aspects of colonial life; and I loved the stories and semi-real history come to life.  As I mentioned, I have no idea why Gawain decided to leave, but he did just that instead of following us when it was time for us to move on to Jamestown for the afternoon.  That last time that I saw him – without allowing him to know I was watching; we were both heading toward the parking lots.  I know that he didn’t follow us because I was able to sense it when he started using his powers again.  Fortunately, he was far enough away from us by then that none of the other Magi in our group sensed him too, or at least if they did; nobody gave any indication that they had.  I’ll ask Michael and Rowen about that – and Uncle Nick – after we get home and can talk about it.

I can also tell you that Gawain didn’t use normal Hathorne transportation to get here; which is why we didn’t get a warning from Mom – there was nothing on the systems we check to indicate he’d left New York at all.  Hopefully that doesn’t mean he suspects or knows that we’ve gotten into their computer systems.  That’s something else for us to talk about, though his choice of travel options might have been to conceal what he was doing from Kellie and Gwyneth.  Not using his power overtly while close to me was certainly meant to keep me from knowing he was there, so he has learned a few things from our first two confrontations; but he just as obviously doesn’t know that we can sense danger of any kind.

Yeah, I know, but can you really blame me for spending so much time thinking about that tonight?

I was able to enjoy our time in Jamestown more without any Dark Magi lurking around; and we again did a bit of a whirlwind tour after lunch that only allowed us the chance to do a few of the activities before it was time to head back to our hotel.  While there was less rain today, we did still get damp a couple of times; so we were given a half hour to change and freshen up before going out for dinner and an evening hanging out around the National Mall.  That was only an option because we finally got a break from the rain; though everything was also still fairly wet.  We had a few choices for dinner, and Michael and I went with one of the fast food groups so that we could spend more time wandering around the National Mall.  We had Rowen, Tim, Sally, Joshua, Gretchen, and Tracey with us – with Tracey assigned to stick with me just in case Gawain was still in the area.

We thought about renting bikes, but changed our minds when we found out how much that would’ve cost us for eight bikes.  This is seriously not a place to visit if you’re looking for a low-cost vacation!

While I’m thinking about that, I haven’t mentioned the financial side of our trip in my journal yet; and probably should just in case it’s done differently in the future.  The Grade Eight and Grade Twelve Seniors’ trips are both fully paid for except for spending money – and there’s even a little slush fund available for the teachers to use to help students when needed.  That’s why there was no need for fundraising or having the parents pay for our trip; though it is the parents and businesses that support the school trip fund.  Most of my classmates don’t have any idea how much this trip cost, but I do; and I really appreciate everyone who helped to make this possible for us – including my own parents, family, and our family business.

I really do need to move this along and then try to get some sleep since we have to be up very early again and head out to the airport.  After having our quick, fast food fix; we went for a long walk around as much of the National Mall as we could cover and still be back to our rendezvous point on time.  We’d been a bit surprised that Gretchen had opted to hang out with us tonight, but I’m glad that she did; because we had a lot of fun together.  She may have just been tired of hanging out with the ‘single’ girls; since she isn’t into doing the kind of flirting that Vanessa and Nora found so entertaining.

Memo to me: start inviting Sally, Joshua, and Gretchen to do more things with us.  That isn’t easy when they all live on farms and have their own responsibilities and lives; but we really have fun when we can hang out together outside of school.  I’ll at least add it to my to-do list; and maybe I’ll have better success with that than I do with so many other things that I never seem to get around to doing more often.

Our chaperones had us rounded up by ten; it was a quick hop back to our hotel; and then we had a bit of time to hang out with the boys before they needed to get back to their room in time for our bed checks.  Rowen and Gretchen opted for showers tonight once we were on our own while Sally and I will do the early wake-up shower times in the morning.  We were all in bed by shortly after midnight; Gretchen, Sally, and Rowen are all sleeping now; and I did about forty-five minutes of work before getting to this update.

I’m still wound up, and if I’m honest about it, a bit disappointed that nothing did happen with Gawain today; but I do know how fortunate we are that Gawain didn’t force a confrontation or a test of powers.  Knowing that didn’t keep me from visualizing scenarios – particularly earlier tonight while we were near the monuments and memorials.  I’m sure that there are lots of people who would be happy to know that those scenes are relegated to my imagination – especially when they’re just about ready to re-open the Washington monument after spending years repairing it!

Maybe I should cut back on my Hollywood movie intake! ;^)

Anyway, I don’t really have anything else to write about tonight, so I’m going to pack up my computer and probably lay awake staring at the ceiling and thinking too much for too long before having a nap for an hour or three.  This is my last report from Washington D.C., and while this has been an amazing week; I am going to be so glad to get home again where love and light is the empathic rule instead of the exception.  Until then…

…Live long and prosper, fellow Magi of the Light!