Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Sping is in the air in Witch Falls, and while Cassie and Michael are sharing their Light with the world; most of our favorite Magi are enjoying their home town adventures with most of their favorite people - whether that is at work or play! Whether at home or elsewhere in the world, there is a lot going on for all of our favorite Magi as we head through Spring toward the first holiday weekend of the summer season at the end of May. You won't want to miss out on any of the action; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Cassie's Journal - June 29, 2013



This has been a busy, fun, and occasionally strange day.

Tai Chi with two second-floor hecklers trying to throw me off while I exercised in Rowen’s back yard would qualify as strange.  By the time I headed home to get started on my chores after breakfast, Patrick and Scott had made sure that Rowen and I had more than our fill of the strange and annoying.

I don’t really have much to report from the yard work part of my day.  Between our house and Uncle Adam and Aunt Leanne’s place, we had lots of help to get ready for the Fourth of July and the wedding weekend.  Violet worked with Mom all day, and Alicia worked a bonus morning shift too.  Both sets of Proctor grandparents were helping out too; and though the teens that were now taking care of Uncle Adam’s lawn and gardens had already finished their work for the week; there had still been nearly as much to do there as at our house.  The only real break we took was lunch for everyone at our house, but jumping into the river to cool off every now and then happened fairly regularly.

The work part of my day – or most of it – was done by shortly before four when I was sent off to get cleaned up and ready for the welcome home dinner we were doing at Uncle Adam and Aunt Leanne’s for Aunt Grace, Mark, and Mark’s parents.  Mom, Violet, and I tag-teamed getting cleaned up and changed while taking care of Ethan and Ehlana too; and we all managed to be ready to go in about forty-five minutes.  Everyone else was already at Uncle Adam and Aunt Leanne’s by the time we arrived; and Ethan, Ehlana, and I were kept busy for a while with the welcome home hugs and kisses.

Aunt Grace was really busy, but that didn’t keep her from finding a little time to tease me about Michael and picking her wedding for my first date with him.  I had advised her about inviting Michael, and managed to get that news to her before Aunt Leanne did; but she still seemed surprised.  Then again, she seemed even more surprised to find out that I’m only about three inches shorter than she is now.  I have grown about an inch and a half since the last time we saw each other the weekend we were visiting them in Granite Park, but maybe she was just in denial while I was still four-foot-something tall.

Meeting Mark’s parents for the first time was fun.  Dr. Aaron Everett is a very young-looking sixty.  His hair is as blonde as Aunt Leanne’s, and he has very light blue eyes.  Mark inherited some features from both parents, but he and his father are nearly the same height and build; and it’s easy to see that they’re father and son despite the contrasts – like Mark’s black hair and steel-gray eyes.  My main first impression of Dr. Everett Senior is that he’s going to need some time and convincing before he’s going to understand why his son has chosen to give up a successful, lucrative career and move away from his family to our humble little town.  He’s really nice, and as low-key and unassuming as Mark is; but he’s having a tough time dealing with this change to what his own life plans had been; so there’s a strong empathic undercurrent that’s at odds to his outward demeanor that I’m sure Mom, Ethan, Ehlana, and I can all sense.

Mark’s mother, Lorelei, on the other hand, was giving off nothing but good vibes.  I wouldn’t say that he’s marrying a girl just like Mom, but there are some nice similarities between Aunt Grace and her soon-to-be mother-in-law that go beyond the fact that they’re almost exactly the same height.  Lorelei – Lori – has the black hair that her son inherited, and very dark blue eyes.  She’s as quiet and gentle as her husband and son; was smiling every time I saw her; and earned the twins’ seal of approval in under five seconds.  While her husband likes Aunt Grace despite his feelings about Mark’s decisions; she obviously loves Aunt Grace.  Seeing them together definitely reminded me a lot of Mom and Grandma.

Since having a Jacuzzi-equipped guest bathroom was high on her list of favorite surprises so far since getting to town was near the top of her good things about Witch Falls list; I’ll guess that she’ll be a little in love with Uncle Adam by tomorrow morning too.  Just kidding – she already loves Mark’s best friend.

We had a little spit of rain roll through while the main course for dinner was still on the grill, but it didn’t last long; and our outdoor dining plans didn’t need to be changed.  Since there was grandparent, aunt, and uncle support for Ethan and Ehlana; Mom and Aunt Leanne put me to work before and after dinner.  By the time everything was ready and we could sit down to eat, we had a bit over an hour to relax and enjoy our meal before needing to be up and running again so we could have the clean-up done in time for Mom and Dad’s baseball game.  There really isn’t much to report from dinner.  We mostly traded family and home town stories with Mark’s parents; there was some baby chat; and almost no mention of anything wedding-related.

Even though I really didn’t get to spend all that much time with them, I’ve had the warm fuzzies going on all night; and I’m really happy to have Aunt Grace and Mark home to stay – or at least they’ll be home to stay after they get back from their honeymoon.  I also love seeing them so happy.  It’s not as if they’ve been miserable whenever they couldn’t be together since they started dating; but that separation was probably harder on them that what Violet and Dillon have gone through for the past couple of years.  They could at least see each other every couple of weeks without needing to make major travel plans.

Speaking of ‘home’, Aunt Grace and Mark love theirs – though they aren’t being allowed to go inside until Uncle Blaine can be here to do that with them.  They’d done a walk-around before we’d even gotten there, so I missed that; but I did get to see the smiles on their faces every time they looked across the back yards toward their new house.

Getting back to the news of the day, baseball was the next entertainment event of the night; and the Fix-it Uppers were able to pull off a come-from-behind win against Sheldon’s Big Shots.  That hadn’t looked likely after we spotted the Big Shots to a five-run lead in the top of the first inning, but we chipped away at that lead while keeping pace with the additional runs being scored against us; and finished the job off with the four runs in the bottom of the seventh to earn the fifteen to fourteen win.

I don’t think that Mark’s parents were all that impressed with the caliber of the baseball; but they did seem to enjoy the extra-curricular action that was what most people found fun about the co-ed games.

While going to Sheldon’s after the game had been an option for the adults, and it still felt early to Mark and his parents while they adjust from west-coast time; everyone decided to go back to Uncle Adam and Aunt Leanne’s house and end the day with a comparatively quiet visit.  Ethan, Ehlana, and I went along for that, but we only stayed until eleven o’clock; and then Grandma, Grandpa, Grandma Mercy, and Grandpa Duncan took us home; helped me to put the twins to bed; and then left me in charge until Mom and Dad got back while they went home to bed too.

I’ve been working on my computer since then.  Rowen and I had a little chat; there was some family business email to deal with; and my usual nightly computer checks are all done now too.  It isn’t quite midnight yet, and I’ll stay up until Mom and Dad – or Violet and Dillon – get home; but there isn’t anything else to report from today.  The non-news news is that I didn’t see Michael at all today; and I wish that I had.  We were both just busy at the wrong times for each other today, and except for when we’re at church; I’m sure it’ll be the same again tomorrow – this is going to be a busy holiday week at the Inn.

We’re both going to be busy this week, but I hope we aren’t going to have too many days where we don’t see each other much – and we should definitely make time to practice our goodnight kisses.  Since that wasn’t an option tonight, I think I’ll go play my keyboard for a while.  Maybe that’ll distract me from thinking too much about moonlight kisses and Michael until Mom and Dad get home and I can go to sleep – though I doubt it.

Until next time, this is Magi Master Cassie Proctor; logging out!