Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Sping is in the air in Witch Falls, and while Cassie and Michael are sharing their Light with the world; most of our favorite Magi are enjoying their home town adventures with most of their favorite people - whether that is at work or play! Whether at home or elsewhere in the world, there is a lot going on for all of our favorite Magi as we head through Spring toward the first holiday weekend of the summer season at the end of May. You won't want to miss out on any of the action; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Friday, June 14, 2013

Cassie's Journal - June 13, 2013



Play Day is definitely one of the kid and teen favorites of the school year; and I was fired up right from the moment I woke up this morning.

Tai Chi by the river, and a pancakes and bacon breakfast got the day off to a great start, and then I helped Mom with the extra work that needed to be done to load the van with our food and drink donations, and get Ethan and Ehlana ready to spend most of the day with Grandma and Grandpa while Mom was going to be busy helping out at the school.

We had Rowen and Patrick with us when we were ready to go, and they helped with unloading the van at school after we dropped Ethan and Ehlana off on our way there.  Mom went to help set up the booth that she was going to be running all morning with Claire, and in the afternoon with Patricia; and Rowen, Patrick, and I went on to our home room classes.  Rowen and I were soon in the tweeird zone again; starting with the play day team selections.

Vanessa and Nora were continuing their campaign of exclusion for Michael; and Tim wasn’t given a choice when they picked Allen to be the fourth member of their team.  The rest of the couples’ club members teamed up into groups of four, with Lisa added as a fifth to the team with her best friends; and that left Michael and Gil stuck with Rowen and me.  I’ll guess that Vanessa and Nora didn’t fully think through that plan; because they were not very happy to see us in the same group – even if that really should have been a fairly obvious outcome when you look at the groups of friends in a small class.  Michael and I didn’t have a problem with being on the same team at all; and Gil was happy to end up on a team with three of the best athletes in our grade.

I’ll admit that the ongoing tweeirdness motivated me to compete more seriously today, but then playing the games with Michael and Rowen helped with that too; and Gil really kicked up his gaming too while trying to keep up with us.  Most importantly, we had a total blast all day.  It’s too bad that I can’t say the same thing for our arch-rival team for the day.  Vanessa and Nora were not happy or impressed with our success; and they did not look like they were having much fun either.  Tim and Allen tried to have fun, but doing that instead of seriously trying to win each of the little games usually just got them into trouble with their teammates.  Unfortunately for them, Tim was the only really talented athlete; and all of the games and races were team events, or scores were based on team totals.

The combination of having fun together and trying harder because of the tweeirdness being dumped on us off and on all day resulted in our team placing first for our Grade Seven class; and third overall for the school.  We also won all but two of the games for our class too; so I’m sure that you can imagine how well that went over with Vanessa and Nora, but I couldn’t manage to feel bad about doing that today.  Having excuses to hug Michael after every win was a nice bonus too!

While I’m thinking about hugs, one thing that was both tweeird and fun was when I got in trouble for hugging Gil too – from his girlfriend.  Alicia’s in Grade Six, and her class was competing in a game that was set up next to where we’d been when she witnessed the victory hug.  Having her come over and confront us about it was the tweeird part; and negotiating getting her to give Gil the hugs instead for the rest of the day was the bonus entertainment.  It’s too bad other tweeirdness in my life wasn’t that easy to resolve.

I’ve skipped over a fair bit, so let’s back up and deal with that before moving on.  While Rowen would have liked to pair me with Michael for every game where that was an option; most of the time it worked out better with guys and girls pairings.  The exceptions to that were for games we couldn’t resist having boy-girl pairs for – like the three-leg race.  Yes, there was really only one reason for doing that, and it wasn’t a good idea to give Vanessa and Nora even more reason to be mad at us; but then there was some smack talk directed our way that we had fun disproving by taking first and second place with our team.

The only events of the day we didn’t try our best at were the unofficial competitions during our morning, lunch, and afternoon breaks.  Working around food so much could have something to do with why Michael’s never really been into the tween guy eating and drinking games, and while Gil has been known to play along; he was following Michael’s lead today.  Rowen and I were particularly grateful that we didn’t have to watch them attempt new records for eating hotdogs; guzzling drinks; various belching milestones; or fastest ice-cream induced brain-freeze.

Avoiding those mini-competitions probably helped us this afternoon too; and could be why our team did so well even when we were up against the older teens and an ‘overall’ scoring curve that was meant to even the field for all of the grades.  I really do like to win, but being awarded the little medallions and ribbons at the end of the afternoon wasn’t as important to me as having a fun day with Michael and Rowen was.  Being able to hear some rather unpleasant, muttered grumblings about Michael and me while we were being given our awards took a bit away from the moment too; and a bit more time in the tweeird zone was all I needed to be ready to go home and work in the office again to escape from that again for a while.

Most of that last blast of tween dopiness came when Michael, Rowen, and I were at our lockers getting ready to go home.  Tim started out the scene with some good-natured teasing, but then Vanessa and Nora chimed in with some jibes that weren’t very nice at all.  I’m also beginning to wonder if they don’t really know Michael as well as they think they do despite growing up with him.  Talking about all of the fun that Michael was going to miss out on after school and tonight was completely pointless.  Michael, Jake, and Rebecca are all used to missing out on things that some of their friends get to do because of work or chores – just like all of the farm kids and other ‘store-owner parents’ kids are.  He feels as much obligation to help out at the Inn as I feel about helping Mom with our family business; and all Vanessa and Nora accomplished was to annoy him – not make him jealous or feel left out.

Michael, Rowen, and I left the school together, and I walked with them to the computer store and Inn before continuing on home.  There was just a tiny bit more tweeird zone for Michael and I when we just happened to bump into Tim, Nora, Vanessa, and the rest of our classmates that were starting their amazingly fun adventures with Emporium ice cream cones.  That wasn’t likely a coincidence at all, but I’m also pretty sure that Vanessa was expecting Michael to be alone.  This is another instance where I’ll just keep most of the details out of this report, but I will mention that some girls are watching too many chick flicks and reading too many tween and teen mag rags.  We’re only twelve and thirteen no matter how hard you try to act older and cooler.

While I was seriously tempted to give Michael a goodbye hug and kiss; I resisted the urge; and avoided getting us into even deeper tweeirdness before he went into the Inn and I went home and got to work too.  Mom was still out doing some running around with Ethan and Ehlana after picking them up from Grandma and Grandpa’s house, so I grabbed a drink and worked in the office until dinner was ready except for a short break to help with unloading the van when they got home.  It was an early, easy-dinner night because of my baseball practice; and Rowen picked me up along the way to the park.

We’re playing Palmer’s Panthers on Saturday, and Carolyn was particularly fired up and wanting everyone to work hard to get ready to play against the team that will likely be our toughest competition this season.  Tim and Michael weren’t the only players getting personal fans coming to watch their games and practices, but I doubt that Vanessa and Nora would think that having Ethan and Ehlana stopping by to watch us play was on the same level as their efforts with the boys.  I loved getting a pair of hugs and kisses from them – even if that did get me in trouble with Coach Sarah again.  It’s funny that she only seemed to notice and yell at me when I was hugging and kissing Ethan; though being teased about kissing boys instead of playing baseball felt different this time – especially since I couldn’t stop thinking about the kisses with Michael after that.

The hugs, kisses, teasing, and those thoughts about Michael did help to fire me up; and I had a really good practice tonight.  Those three factors all played a part in my game-playing at the Inn tonight too.  The teasing for that started almost immediately after my usual game night partner decided that I needed to team up with Michael for our last game night until September; and Rebecca was a willing accomplice.  Rowen might have decided to do that after seeing Nora continuing the tweeird games with Michael and doing her best to keep him on the outside of their couples club group; and that was definitely motivating me again tonight too.  Jake and Stephanie, and the other two ‘graduating’ couples that were trying to win the last junior championship they’d be eligible for were disappointed tonight, and so was Miranda when she didn’t get to have the senior championship crown despite talking Dad into switching partners for the night; but the Stone family did still get to have one-half of the junior championship.

I know what you’re thinking, and Michael and I did have a good night; but this isn’t the movies – Rowen and Rebecca won the bragging rights for the summer.  Michael and I came in tied for second; and we were just a couple of points ahead of Jake and Stephanie.  That earned us some more teasing, and we had as much fun with that as we did with nearly everything else that had been thrown at us tonight.

Nora invited Tim and some of the other members of the couples club back to her house immediately after the games were over, though she wasn’t happy when excluding Michael didn’t have the effect on him that she’d hoped for.  Even though that didn’t work as planned, it was the main reason why I stayed to help with the clean-up even though Mom and Dad took Ethan and Ehlana home early so they could leave with Uncle Adam and Aunt Leanne.  Michael got a bonus hug too when I did the goodnight hugs with his parents, brother, sister, and Stephanie; but I’m not quite ready for sharing ‘real’ kisses with him when there’s an audience standing around next to us; so we both had to settle for the hugs.

Dad was already working in the office by the time I got home, and I joined in to help Mom with the bedtime baths she was nearly ready to do with the twins.  By the time Ethan and Ehlana were tucked in for the night, and Mom had done a short Magi lesson with me, it was after eleven; and my next stop was some quality time with my Jacuzzi.  I should have done some multi-tasking then, but didn’t; and just let my mind drift along while soaking out the dirt and sweat from our play day and a dusty baseball practice.

Those thoughts included some musing about some differences between Rowen and me, and Vanessa and Nora in particular.  For instance, Nora looked great tonight at the Inn while Rowen and I looked like we’d just finished a day of games and baseball.  Nora’s opinion of that difference between us was fairly obvious to all three of us, but what has me smiling tonight is the fact that Michael thinks that I’m amazing regardless of whether I’m dressed up in my Sunday best or look like I did tonight.  That’s not actually a new revelation for me, since I have known how he’s felt about me for quite a while now; but my perspective on that has changed quite a bit since Monday.

While I’m thinking about that, Michael thinks you’re amazing too, Rowen, so even if ‘Tommy’ is still deaf, dumb, and blind; you do have one guy who sees how really incredible you are.  By the time you get to read this; I’m sure you’ll find that comment very entertaining.

I’ve also continued to think a lot about what I am ready for with Michael.  Aunt Leanne would likely be very amused by that process – especially since I sort of think of my reactions this week in terms of my ‘Aunt Leanne’ fired-up and go-for-it side and my ‘Mom and Dad’ responsible and careful side.

Don’t worry, Mom, you won’t need to plan another wedding for later this year. ;^)

That does give me an idea, but I’ll sleep on it and see if I still think it’s a good idea in the morning.

Getting back to the daily report, I’ve put in two hours of studying after climbing into bed with Mandy; and that was mostly on languages because I’ll be taking the summer off from that work except for maybe a chat here and there with some internet buddies I’ve been practicing with; or if any interesting books come out that aren’t available in English too. (I know that’s shocking to most people in the English speaking countries; but it does happen all the time!)

It’s now past two-thirty, and though we’ll just be having a last-day-of-school party, I also have dinner and a baseball game, and Rowen and I will be doing our first camping adventure of the summer too; so I should really wrap this up and get some sleep.

Until next time, this is Magi Master Cassie Proctor; logging out!