Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Sping is in the air in Witch Falls, and while Cassie and Michael are sharing their Light with the world; most of our favorite Magi are enjoying their home town adventures with most of their favorite people - whether that is at work or play! Whether at home or elsewhere in the world, there is a lot going on for all of our favorite Magi as we head through Spring toward the first holiday weekend of the summer season at the end of May. You won't want to miss out on any of the action; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Cassie's Journal - September 21, 2012


The top Grade Seven news today, at least for Rowen and me, was that we got to pick our instruments in music class!

Since Mrs. Robinson wanted to have some balance, and there are a limited number of instruments, we were supposed to be ready with our top three choices.  That wasn’t an issue for Rowen, not only because she’s alphabetically advantaged; but she was also the only kid in our class to pick the flute.  I had to wait nervously for a while, but then I was the first to pick the saxophone.  Some of our classmates were a bit disappointed, and needed to pick second choices; but I don’t think anyone had to choose an instrument that they really didn’t want to learn to play.

While Rowen and I were very happy campers, not all was well in music class.  We didn’t even hear about it until after school, but Michael is in the doghouse with Vanessa for picking the saxophone too; apparently because he was supposed to pick the trumpet like his best buddy Tim had.  She’d needed to choose her instrument ahead of Michael, and is regretting picking the trumpet once she found out that the main reason for her choice wouldn’t be sitting next to her in music class for the rest of the year.  I’m sure that Michael knows that she’s annoyed with him, but then there’s a good chance that everyone playing or watching the pick-up football game at the park this afternoon noticed the frosty glares; overheard loudly whispered comments; and caught the full range of usual tween girl danger signs that Vanessa was really quite good at doing.

Yes, that does mean that Rowen, Ethan, Ehlana, and I were at the park again after school, and we watched a bit of the football game; but we didn’t stick around to watch the extra-curricular action.  We spent most of our time at the playground, and then went home in time to have dinner with Mom.  We weren’t doing a dinner and a movie night this weekend, but Rowen was spending the evening with us so we could spend some time playing around with the flute and saxophone we were able to bring home for the weekend for the first time.

Ethan and Ehlana wanted to watch us practice, but I spared the rest of Witch Falls from the agony by putting sound wards up around my room so that nobody else had to hear our feeble attempts to make music come out of our instruments.  My photographic memory will come in handy when it’s my brother’s and sister’s turn in about eleven years; though their giggles and comments did just make our practice time more fun.  Patricia and Owen picked Rowen up on their way home from the store, and since Dad was home by then too; they stayed for a little snack and chat.

While I’m thinking about that, I really hope that the saxophone jokes don’t go on endlessly; and quite a few of them are just wrong to be teasing an eleven-year old about.  I’ve heard quite a few of them today; though most of them were overheard, and directed at Michael instead of me.  I don’t even want to think about what Aunt Leanne will have to say the next time I see her – especially since she’ll likely be putting those jokes into a way too personal context.  If she spreads too many comments around about Michael and me, though, I’ll likely be the next person in Vanessa’s doghouse.  Just the thought of that has me wondering if I should be annoyed with Michael for not picking the trumpet too!

Let’s move along, and I may or may not write about Aunt Leanne’s reaction and comments to this little news nugget.

I miss Dad every week when he’s in the city, but welcome home night is always fun; and after the Emersons went home, we stayed up and had a long telepathic chat and cuddle time in the living room.  It was after eleven by the time Ethan and Ehlana were tucked in and I came up to my room; and I’ve been working on my computer since then.  Rowen and I are doing a sleepover tomorrow night, so I wasn’t going to do much work or studying; but I wasn’t sleepy, and have somehow managed to keep busy for more than two hours now.  That’s included some family business reading; a chat in Spanish with a girl in Peru; and I worked in the Magi Project archive for a while.

Sleeping in isn’t going to be an option, and though I’m still not really all that tired; I’m going to wrap this up and at least try to get some sleep.  The yard work all morning isn’t exactly all fun and games, but the afternoon trail ride, and the movie night and sleepover here with Rowen will be; and I should be ready for another late night, so...

...say ‘goodnight, Cassie’.

“Goodnight, Cassie.”