Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Sping is in the air in Witch Falls, and while Cassie and Michael are sharing their Light with the world; most of our favorite Magi are enjoying their home town adventures with most of their favorite people - whether that is at work or play! Whether at home or elsewhere in the world, there is a lot going on for all of our favorite Magi as we head through Spring toward the first holiday weekend of the summer season at the end of May. You won't want to miss out on any of the action; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Cassie's Journal - August 8, 2015



I’m back; and more awake than I was last night while doing my nightly computing.  Yes, I do know that getting to here from there is just a flip of a digital page for you in my future, and those micro-updates aren’t really required; but it’s just the way I am – and those little non-reports do at least explain what would otherwise just be gaps in my journal timeline.

With that said, I’ll move backward into that timeline; and begin with the news from yesterday.

My morning was really, really busy; but started out wonderfully with Tai Chi by the river for ten.  Uncle Adam and Aunt Leanne surprised us by coming over too, and we had Brianna to thank for that because she’d woken early for her first morning feeding; and Aunt Leanne decided to stay up and exercise with us instead of getting a bit more nap time.  Zack and Brianna weren’t our only spectators this morning, and that worked out for us too; since Emma and Kylie were happy to entertain my cousins while we were busy.

Breakfast was a crazy rush, and a bit busier than I’d expected because Dad and Aunt Leanne decided to go with more of a breakfast meal than we’d originally planned.  They were the primary cooks too; and whipped up heaps of pancakes and sausages for everyone except Brianna.  My youngest cousin was happy to get passed around and entertained while we all worked, got ready for the day, or were sitting down to eat; and Aunt Leanne was happy with that knowing that Brianna would need a nice long morning nap after all of the excitement.  We – the campers, Zack, and Brianna – ate out on the back porch while the parents were in the kitchen.  That worked because we ate in smaller groups as the waves of food were ready and while we were taking turns using the bathrooms and helping out with the work in the kitchen or at our overnight campground.  We had a lot of fun with all of the busy-crazy action; and had the camp torn down, everything put away, and the kitchen cleaned by the time we either needed to leave for work or other activities – like the football workout in the park.

Lucas had been really happy about being able to do a third workout with Michael and Tim, but all three boys were a bit disappointed when they had a smaller-than-usual turnout.  That wasn’t all bad for them, because Rowen, Rebecca, Emma, Kylie, and I cheered them up again by helping out with some of the training.  Ethan, Ehlana, Naomi, and Aiden added a bit of fun too; though their contributions were in added entertainment instead of training help.  Then again, I guess they did help out with one of the drills.  Tim had them carried for part of one of the running drills in a fun little relay that kept the four younger kids giggling – and running too; since part of the exercise included needing to catch them first.

The fun in my day was toned down quite a bit after the football action, and while my friends all headed off to work or other plans; I came home and got to work on my weekend chores.  Rain was in the forecast for Saturday, so I at least wanted to get the lawn mowed and the gardens weeded in case our outdoor chores did get rained out.  It was hot out, so I included a couple of swim breaks when needed to cool off; but kept them short since it would have been easy to get distracted from the work that I wasn’t terribly motivated to do.  I had lunch on the fly too; and downed a sandwich and some cold veggies while switching from lawn mowing to gardening.

I wrapped up my work when Michael came over to hang out with me on his afternoon break; and we spent a couple of hours playing with Ethan, Ehlana, Naomi, and Aiden.  We went for a swim first, since I was ready to cool off and wash off the parts of the garden that were stuck to me; we followed that up with an hour of playground fun at the park; stopped at the Emporium for ice cream treats; and then wrapped up Michael’s break with another swim before he needed to get back to the Inn.  We had lots of company coming over for a dinner and baseball night; so I helped Mom out with getting the side dishes ready for that meal; with the potato salad being the most time-consuming part of that job.  We had bonus help and entertainment join in for the kitchen fun as we went along.  Aunt Leanne was first; and the other Moms joined us as they either finished work or finished up with other afternoon activities.

While we put some effort into the salads, the meal needed to be quick and easy so that the baseball playing members of our family could get to the park in time for the pre-game warm-ups; so Dad, Uncle Nick, Philip, and some of the other guys only needed to grill burgers and hot dogs to go along with the salads and other veggie and snack options.  I was on kid control during dinner; and had all of the toddlers and pre-schoolers with me by the river as we sat on the benches or dock to have our meal.  That was fun – and tiring!  I managed to eat a hot dog and the salads I’d filled my plate with, but spent most of that time running around after the kids and trying to get all of them to eat.

That running around after the kids became a trend for the rest of the night.  I got out of the kitchen clean-up, but that would have been easier than keeping up with my gang of kids at the park playground.  We walked over there after dinner, and while I had a bit of parent support at first; they needed to move on once it was time for the game warm-ups.  The only way I managed to keep up after that was thanks to the help that some of the older kids at the playground offered.  Rowen and Tim came over shortly after the game started, and they helped me after that – mostly because we needed to watch one group at the playground; one at the game; and at least one or two kids at any given time that wanted to go for a swim in the river.

The baseball players didn’t get as much exercise as we did!

Speaking of the game, Our Eagles played the Hawks last night.  We were the away team; and it was a fairly wild match with a final score of twenty-three to nineteen.  The Eagles won, and they had an even larger lead going into the bottom of the seventh, but since both teams had high-scoring innings; it could have gone either way right up to the end.  I missed more than half of the game while busy with the hyper-active kids; and that also meant that our cheerleading squad was missing most of the time too except for at the beginning and end of the game.  The win has almost-certainly earned the Eagles one of the championship game spots; though there is still a very slim chance that they could lose out in the event of a tie-breaker.  I don’t think that’ll happen; so I’ll predict that we’re going to have a very busy holiday weekend with lots of baseball to go along with the rest of the family fun.

Having fun was the name of the game for the kids after the game – and it was my job to make that happen for them.  Rowen and Tim came home with us to help me with that; and they were officially hired to babysit with me – and with Michael; once he was finished work at the Inn.  While Mom and Dad got ready to go out with their friends and team mates to Sheldon’s; we started that fun time out with a long swim in the river that Michael joined us for after being set free from the Inn a bit earlier than he’d expected.  We only have three sleepover guests here tonight, but after the swim; we got most of the kids ready for bed before moving up to my room and the lounge for the rest of the evening.  Mom and Dad were already having fun at the pub by then; and the kids were still fired up and ready to party.  Even Brianna was awake and happy to hang out with us after having her feeding right before Aunt Leanne and Uncle Adam dropped her off with us on their way to the pub; so Rowen and I needed to keep up with the other kids while tag-teaming holding Brianna and keeping her entertained.

The boys had wanted to play video games, so they did that first while Rowen and I played with the girls.  We had a music time in my room; half of the guys deserted Tim to join us for a game of hide-and-seek; we played with toys; and then settled into the lounge at eleven o’clock to watch a movie that half of the kids didn’t manage to stay awake to watch to the end.  The lounge was a bit of a mess by then, and there were pillows and blankets covering the floor between the sectional sofa and the television; with kids sprawled out on them while watching the show or sleeping.

If you’re wondering whether Naomi was spending some quality time cuddling with my brother; the answer to that is a resounding yes.  Ryan and Tim teased him about it; but Ethan really doesn’t care about his reputation yet; and I don’t think that he’d be able to deny Naomi anything even if he did care.  Michael probably wishes I was more like him – and Naomi – when I first met him! ;^)

I’d like to say that we – the babysitters – were able to take a break after that, but we didn’t.  Michael and I cuddled with Brianna most of that time, but Rowen and I were also kept busy with moving sleeping kids to guest bedrooms; helping out when needed for washroom breaks; diaper changes; or getting drinks and snacks for everyone.  Michael took care of Brianna on his own when I wasn’t with him, and if she didn’t already have my boyfriend wrapped around her little finger before then; Brianna had his heart by the end of the night.  It’s a good thing that I know he loves me too; or I’d be jealous!

As I mentioned before, we only have three guests staying the night.  Aiden, Naomi, and Sophia are here with Ethan and Ehlana; but all of the other kids – and Michael, Tim, and Rowen – headed home once the parents were finished playing at the pub.  Mom was one of the designated drivers, so she needed to do some running around first, but started her driving duties by dropping off Dad, Uncle Adam, and Aunt Leanne at our house.  Aunt Leanne hadn’t been drinking either, but wasn’t one of the drivers because she needed to nurse Brianna.  She was very happy to find out that my adorable little cousin had only napped a little while she was gone; and she and Uncle Adam were both hoping that Brianna would be able to skip a feeding and sleep through until morning.  Zack wasn’t a problem for them; sine Tim and Michael ran him to exhaustion by the time he fell asleep during the movie.

While the kids were being picked up and taken home, Michael, Tim, Rowen, and I got to work on the clean-up in the lounge, my room, and the kitchen.  We had all of that done by the time that Mom got home from her last trip of the night – a loop out into the country to deliver a handful of farm friends to their homes.  She had help with that because they also delivered two trucks so that their friends didn’t need to arrange for retrieving those vehicles in the morning, and while that might sound strange to some people; it’s just the way things are done here in Witch Falls.

It was late by then, and you already know from my lack of interest in writing this report last night that I was exhausted; but we still had a short post-mortem chat with Mom and Dad before they went up to bed and I went outside with Michael, Tim, and Rowen to see them off.  I should mention that we got paid then too; though that really isn’t a big deal for any of us.  Rowen likes babysitting with me; and Michael and Tim do it because they love us.  Rowen and Tim left first after a quick round of hugs; and then Michael and I sat on the front steps and had a little chat before doing our goodnight hugs and kisses.  After watching him walk home, I came up to my room; got ready for bed; checked my email and wrote that journal blurb; and then pretty much literally crashed and napped for the rest of the night.

My Saturday morning was quieter than it was on Friday; but Naomi, Sophia, and Aiden did still add to the fun and work until they were picked up by their parents after breakfast.  While I’m thinking about Sophia, I mentioned that Ryan was at our house last night too while his parents joined in for the fun at the pub, but should have mentioned that we didn’t have Jessica with us too because she was with Lindsay and Geraldine instead.  They’re in that transition stage between needing babysitters and being able to do the job, but in this case; they’d just already had other plans for a sleepover before the pub night was officially booked.  While that isn’t really an important detail; I wanted to mention it because Michael’s cousins are as important to him as mine are to me; and we really do need to try harder to spend more time with them – especially when they’re growing up so fast!

The first half of my Saturday wasn’t exactly fun and exciting – at least during the time between breakfast and mid-afternoon.  Dad was happy that I had the lawn and gardens work finished; but that didn’t get me out of doing chores today.  We just got to work on other chores that don’t get done every week – including some maintenance on the storage barn and around the house.  I did get to spend that time with Dad, though; and we both love getting to do that when we can.  It’s been another scorcher, so I needed some swim breaks and we both took regular breaks to stay hydrated; but it was also great to be outdoors and enjoying the weather.

We even enjoyed the thunderstorm that rolled through about an hour before lunchtime; and we watched the storm as much as we worked in the storage barn while waiting it out.  It didn’t last long; didn’t really get in the way of our work; and the ground dried up almost immediately – or it seemed as though it did.  We stopped for lunch at twelve-thirty; went back to work until two-thirty; and then I got cleaned up and ready to go and watch Michael’s ball game.

Rowen met up with me at my house; we took Ethan and Ehlana along; and headed for the school.  The Arrows were up against the Catapults; and were there in time to catch the last half of the Arrows’ warm-ups.  After the thunderstorm, it just got hotter out – and more humid.  I brought lots of water with us and some snacks; but we weren’t the only spectators at the game wishing that we were at the park instead of the school.  Swim breaks in the river would have been really nice.  That might have worked out for the best anyway, since Michael, Tim, and their team mates seemed to be very motivated to get the game over with in a hurry.  I’m sure that they also wanted to win and ensure their spot in the championship game; but it still seemed as though all of the boys on both teams also just wanted to get it over with.  For the Catapults, that was because they weren’t having a particularly good game.

Our Arrows were the home team, so the Catapults batted first.  They were happy when they scored two runs; but it was downhill from there for them.  The Arrows went on to a blow-out win; and even the twenty-one to ten final score looked better than it was; since the Arrows coasted to the end of the game and tried not to make the win even more lop-sided than it already was by the end of the third inning.  Even with all of those runs, it was still a fairly short game; and that left Michael with enough time for both an Emporium ice cream break and a swim that he needed to get rid of the ball diamond dust and dirt before going back to the Inn for the dinner rush.

While he was busy with that, we had a quiet dinner at home; went for a walk; had a bit of playground time that Mom and Dad enjoyed as much as the twins and I did; and then we wrapped up our evening with a swim that Michael joined us for once he was again set free from the Inn for the night.  We followed that up with some more play time with Ethan and Ehlana in the lounge while Mom and Dad did some work in the office; we all got together again for the bedtime snack and story time; and then Michael and I finally had some alone time in the lounge once we tucked Ethan and Ehlana in for the night.

We took full advantage of that couple of hours to enjoy a fairly major make-out session while not watching a movie; and then Michael went home after we wrapped up our day with another short bedtime chat with Mom and Dad when they were wrapping up their work and heading to bed at a bit before midnight.

I’ve had some work to do since then, since I didn’t do any family business work last night and won’t be able to do much work for the next few nights either.  Getting that done required using a time phase; but it still took time to get everything done; which is why it’s so late now.  It’s also time for me to wrap this up and get some sleep because I really am going to be busy for the next few days.

The highlight for all of that will be our fourth-annual amusement park adventure on Monday and Tuesday.  I haven’t mentioned that in my journal yet, but have been looking forward to the trip – even if I haven’t paid much attention to it with everything else we’ve had on the go.  Since we are getting to do that, the busy for Sunday is going to be another full shift helping out at the Inn.  That’s the least I can do to thank Miranda and Jacob for taking their days off next week and bringing Michael, Rebecca, and Lucas along for the trip.  We aren’t going to have as many parents with us this year; so it wouldn’t have been possible to have as many teens along with us without the extra parental support.

I’ll be able to write more about those adventures as they happen, and the work at the Inn probably won’t be all that exciting at all; so I’ll wrap this update up now; and call it a night.  It’s been another really great day; I’m extra-happy thanks to the alone time with Michael; and the fun level is really going to kick up a notch or six by Monday.  That should all help me out with lots of material to use for happy dreams, and I’m ready for that visit to dreamland; so, until next time...

...May the Magi Force be with you!