Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Winter has, for the most part, been mild so far - or awesome for the month that Cassie and Michael spent in summertime-Australia! They are home now and will be working from home for most of the time until Easter. The hometown work will include getting ready for their next trip, but there will be a lot of fun to get in on and share with their favorite people - including their March Break trip to Florida adventure. All of your favorite Magi Masters will continue to work and play while their future plans unfold; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Friday, August 14, 2015

Cassie's Journal - August 13, 2015



We’ve had another busy day, and I’m tired out; so let’s get right to the news so that I can move on to nap time as soon as possible.

Tai Chi by the river was not, for a change, the quietest part of my day; and that was because I spent the morning at the lab with Mom, Ethan, and Ehlana.  Michael came over for Tai Chi, but didn’t stay for breakfast; and instead grabbed something to go from home before heading out on his bike to meet up with Tim and ride out to the farm they were having their morning football workout at today.  Rowen and I decided not to go along this time; mostly because we weren’t going to have any other girls to hang out with if we did go along.  The guys can manage to survive a few hours without us now and then; and Ehlana was especially happy that I picked hanging out with her in the lab for a change.

I should do that more often, but as always; let’s just add it to the list of things I don’t have time for and move along.  We did have fun today, and in addition to playing in the lab with Ehlana for a couple of hours; I also liked getting to do a tour of the archives.  Mom and Ethan are there more often than I am, so the ongoing changes aren’t that impressive to them; but books from the ‘old’ archives are being delivered practically every week now; and it’s amazing to see the new archive fill up and become such an amazing place.  I should probably just call it a library, but since it’s so much more than that; we’ll stick with calling it the archives.  Reading those books through the digital version of the archives is very different than seeing the original documents, or ancient copies, of the originals; and that experience is a bit humbling when you realize that you’re just one person in a millennia-long line of Magi.  The archive is already Ethan’s domain, and while Ehlana would be in the lab all day, every day if she could; he’d be immersed in ‘his’ books all of the time while she plays with her sciences.

When I see them so happy with what will be their respective lives’ work, I can envision working with them easily enough; while also knowing that I’m probably too hyper-active to do either job no matter how much I like science and history too.  The twins have both inherited a healthy dose of Dad’s patience, but while I can have fun with my brother and sister in the lab or archive for a few hours like we did today; I wouldn’t be able to do that full-time without being totally bored.  The good news is that I’m perfectly suited for what I do want to be when I grow up, but I won’t take that any further right now; since I don’t want to scare the parents. ;^)

Ethan, Ehlana, and I played at the lab while Mom had a meeting with Aunt Grace and did some work on her computer systems.  Uncle Adam was there for about half of the time we were in the lab after doing some work at the med center first; but he stayed in the lab when we did the tour of the archive; and went home for lunch sometime after we left with Mom.  We had a quick and easy lunch out on the back porch; and then I was put in charge of Ethan and Ehlana for the afternoon while Mom needed to get some work done in the office.  The twins had play time already set up with Naomi and Aiden, so we went out on our bikes; collected them; and then met up with Michael in time for his afternoon break.

We played at the park; rode the trails; went for a swim back at our house; and then wrapped up Michael’s break time with another ice cream snack in the dining room at the Inn.  After Michael went back to work, we still had some play time left before dinner, so we rode our bikes around the new section of town to see what was new there; and then we came home again and played in the back yard until Mom needed help with making dinner.  My day got busier for a while after that.  We cooked a ‘real’ meal; Naomi and Aiden stayed for dinner because three out of four of their parents were working anyway; and then I got out of the clean-up because Rowen and I needed to get to our ball practice at the school.

Michael was still working at the Inn then, but Tim and Lucas were both there because they were having another football scrimmage while Lucas’ mother and sister were in town for our practice.  Tim wasn’t happy when there wasn’t much of a turnout for that scrimmage; they didn’t have any decent quarterbacks; most of the guys that did show up were too small for a decent offensive or defensive line; and they pretty much just ended up practicing running plays with less than half the guys they’d have needed for a full scrimmage.

Even when it’s a baseball night for me, and Michael’s not even involved; I end up writing more about football than baseball.  That could be because Tim is getting more fervent about his favorite sport every day now; and that was all he wanted to talk about when he and Lucas met up with us after our practice.  I won’t get into all of the details from that chat time with the boys; and just hope that Rowen eventually convinced her boyfriend that they had more interesting things to talk about – or d0 – once she had him alone at his house when we split up after that and I came home again.

Michael was working until close, and he came over for a while after that; but didn’t stay late.  Violet and Dillon had gotten home while I was at my practice and had dropped off their luggage and Violet’s car; but had moved on to his house to spend the evening with his family.  I had time to go for a swim, get cleaned up and changed, and have a nice visit with Mom, Dad, and the twins before Michael caught up with me; and then we took care of getting Ethan and Ehlana off to bed before coming up to the lounge for an hour or so of quality make-out time.  That was definitely a highlight of the day for both of us, but we’re heading into another busy weekend; and neither of us wanted to stay up too late.

That choice may have worked out for Michael, since he went home again by a bit after eleven, but while I’ll still have time for a half-decent night of rest; it’s been a couple of hours or so since Michael left.  After seeing him out, I got ready for bed and started working on my computer.  Violet stopped in for a chat on her way to bed; and while Dillon took his turn in the washroom and grabbed a shower.  I’m glad she did that; since there’s a good chance that’ll be the last chance we have to hang out together when there isn’t a gang around us with Violet pulled in a dozen directions as everyone wants to talk with her before she and Dillon head for college on Saturday.

Violet and Dillon had a nice visit with her family in Woodvale, and they’re looking forward to one last blast of fun with everyone here between now and Saturday; but they’re also really fired up about school now too.  As I’ve already mentioned before, a big part of that is due to their off-campus living arrangements; but they’re also looking forward to seeing their college friends again too.  Violet keeps in touch with them via email and calls more than Dillon does; but none of their friends have come here or to Woodvale yet; so I haven’t met any of them.  That seems strange for them to have that whole other life away from us; but then that’s nothing compared to their secret identities that none of those friends can ever know about.

Speaking of that, and I’ve mentioned this before too; I’m sure that Violet and Dillon are both going to love being able to use their gifts again while at school – at least while in their apartment.  Violet and I talked about that tonight too; and they’ve already gotten some Magi-powered study tips from Mom and Dad, and Dillon’s Mom and sister.  I wonder what they’ll do with all of the extra time they’ll have left once they’re done with their studying each night?

I still had work to finish after Violet left to have a shower before bed too.  She was tempted by my offer to use my Jacuzzi; but decided not to take the extra time for that after a long play and travel day.  With a bit of Magi-powered help; I wrapped up a few hours of family business work in less than an hour; did one last email check; and then got started on this update.  There was more family business work to do than I’d expected; but I received a new investment proposal; and decided to get it out of the way ahead of the weekend.  There wasn’t anything major to deal with for that last email check; so I guess that’s it for the news of the day.

The only event we have planned for tomorrow is a dinner and movie night at Uncle Adam and Aunt Leanne’s house.  The movie part of that is optional, and will likely be something else if the weather cooperates; but the dinner will be fairly major because it’s a going away party for Violet, Dillon, Josiah, and Christina.  We’ll have all of our family there, along with the Palmers and Jacobs; and quite a few friends and neighbors too.  That’ll be fun; crazy; and probably too busy since I’ll be helping out with the work and kid control while the parents are busy with our favorite collegians.

I should get what rest I can to be ready for all of that; so let’s just wrap this up and call it a night.

Until next time...

...May the Magi Force be with you!