Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Sping is in the air in Witch Falls, and while Cassie and Michael are sharing their Light with the world; most of our favorite Magi are enjoying their home town adventures with most of their favorite people - whether that is at work or play! Whether at home or elsewhere in the world, there is a lot going on for all of our favorite Magi as we head through Spring toward the first holiday weekend of the summer season at the end of May. You won't want to miss out on any of the action; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Cassie's Journal - August 16, 2015



It’s been a very long, hot, and busy day around here today.  I’m pretty much worn out now, which is why I’m multi-tasking this update while enjoying some quality Jacuzzi time already despite the fact that it’s still comparatively early – barely ten o’clock.  I want to be ready to go right off to sleep once my head hits the pillow, though; so I’ve been doing my nightly computer work while also time-phasing my soaking in the tub.

The Jacuzzi time is a must tonight because it was a tough day at the Inn.  Miranda and Jacob aren’t technically short-staffed, but they have a new group of teens joining the staff over the next few weeks; they all have zero restaurant experience; and that makes life very interesting around the kitchen and dining room.  Some of our classmates are and will be among those new hires, so that’s fun; while others are a year ahead; and only starting now because they’re old enough to work as servers.  I’m not suggesting that job is any easier than the kitchen work because it isn’t; but there are some girls that are not interested in working in the kitchen at all; so there are always new server staff hires to go along with the few annual promotions as teens become old enough to work as servers too.

Backing up to the start of the day, Tai Chi was fun; I had breakfast at Michael’s house; and then the Sunday school side of our time at church was spent getting ready for the holiday weekend service that the teens and kids will be leading.  All of that was fun; and helped a lot as we then got started on the work parts of our day when we needed to get to the Inn and start setting up for the lunch rush.  Make that a lunch crush, since the dining room was full to overflowing and the customers just kept coming well-past the normal end of our lunch shift.

That’s why Michael and I didn’t get to have much of an afternoon break.  We had time to come over to my house; go for a long swim; and have something to eat before going back to the Inn again.  Mom, Ethan, and Ehlana weren’t home while we were there because they were at the lab all afternoon.  Dad had needed to focus on his work, so they’d left him to do that after lunch; and opted to play at the lab and archives instead of playing outdoors.  Part of that was because their best friends were all busy this afternoon; but Mom did get to have dinner and spend the evening with Aunt Leanne – and they let Uncle Adam, Zack, and Brianna hang out with them.

I missed out on that, and wish I could have been there; but helping Jacob and Miranda was more important; and they really appreciated the help today.  Once we were back to work again, it was nearly non-stop action through until we closed the Inn for the night.  Our breaks were short and fit in whenever we could squeeze them in – which for Michael, Rebecca, and I meant after everyone else had taken their breaks.  We still had fun while we worked, and I’ll humbly admit that Miranda and I lead the way in that effort; so that’s another reason why they like to have me around.

See – despite what you may have heard; I don’t work at the Inn exclusively for the hugs and kisses with Michael!

They’re just a really great added bonus! ;^)

Moving along, I don’t have anything else to add for my day.  After leaving the Inn, I walked home with Michael and his family; we did our goodnight hugs and kisses out on his front yard; and then I came home.  Mom, Dad, and the twins were all in the office, so I had a quick chat with them; and then said goodnight to them too and came up to my room to get started on my Jacuzzi fun.  Mom has put the twins to bed by now, but they didn’t come straight up to bed them too; and they’re still awake and playing on their iPads.  Mom and Dad are still working in the office, but I don’t expect it to be much longer before Mom convinces Dad that it’s time to call it a night so that they can spend some quality time together before he leaves for Crystal Springs in the morning.

We didn’t get them a kid-free night this weekend; but we’ll at least get to see Dad this week when we’re in the city for the back-to-school shopping trip on Tuesday.  He isn’t taking the day off or anything; but we are going to stay late and have dinner with him – even though that’ll mean missing out on the tail end of the big sale here in town that’s now an annual event that’s nearly as big as Black Friday or other holiday weekend sales.  While I’m on that shopping track, that was the main reason for Mom and Aunt Leanne to hang out together tonight.  They were finalizing the plans for the trip.  From what Mom told me, they pretty much have that done; and won’t need to do anything else unless they get more than three new shopper additions between now and Tuesday morning.

I’m going to take a quick look at the week ahead; but before I do that; let’s cover a few updates for my favorite travelers.

Grandma and Grandpa are having a wonderful time in Canada, and while the work is the most important part of their trip; they’re enjoying the mini adventures that are the entertainment breaks on their itinerary.  They loved their time on the coast and in the mountains of British Columbia; and are just as amazed and impressed by the prairies to the east.  I don’t want to take away from all of the great parts of their trip; but I do still want to mention that they are much less impressed with the oil and mining areas they’ve visited.  It’s one thing to see and hear about the environmental impact of that work, and the social impact it has on small communities; but it’s something else to see it in person.  The problems and challenges are huge, and we’re only doing a tiny amount of work there so far; but we do want to do more – and will if we can find ways to do that.

Jake and Stephanie have wrapped up their ‘official’ honeymoon now; and they’re getting ready to start their classes soon.  Learning from some of the great chefs of Europe is going to be amazing for Jake just as it was for his father; but I think that Stephanie will love her classes too – and get an entirely different take on business from an international perspective.  That’ll also come in very handy for us when we draft her into the family business to work with Miranda! ;^)

Uncle Rick, Aunt Melissa, and Martin are home again tonight, and though I haven’t talked to any of them; Dawn sent me an email to let me know that her parents have survived seeing their second child off to college; and are actually fairly happy tonight now that they won’t be outnumbered by their kids for most of the next ten months.  Mom and Dad may feel the same way about that when I leave for college in a few years; so I won’t say anything else about that and leave future joke ammunition for them to use on me some day.

I don’t have anything new from my favorite collegians; but I’m sure they’re just too busy getting settled into their new places and re-connecting with friends to write.  That’s okay, since I really, really appreciate their ongoing efforts with setting precedents that I’ll be able to use when it’s my turn to go away to school.

Okay, let’s take a look at next week.

The shopping trip is a highlight for sure, but so is Tim’s birthday on Friday.  We actually have two teen birthdays this week, but while Tim’s is the most important for Michael, Rowen, and me; Roger’s birthday is tomorrow; and we’ll be out at Quarry Lake for it – a dinner and evening play adventure that all of his friends and family are invited to attend.  Dad will be in the city, so I’ll help Mom out as much as I can; which will likely just mean playing with Ethan and Ehlana a bit more so that she can do the extra work she won’t get done while we’re in the city on Tuesday.  Somehow, we’ll also need to work in all of the regular busy in our schedules; and on top of that; Rowen and I need to get ready for cheerleader tryouts that are now only a week away.  We’re not worried about how we’ll do for the tryouts, but we do want to start working on new cheer routines for this season – and be ready to defend our spots on the team if needed.

Just in case that isn’t enough, the holiday weekend isn’t far off either; so we’ll be spending the next couple of weekends getting ready for that – and making sure that Grandma and Grandpa’s house is ready for when they get home too.  I’ll help out at the Inn on Sunday again too, so it’s probably a good thing that we have so much booked for the weekdays; since it’ll mostly be a work weekend!

I won’t be able to rest up for all of that in just one night; but I can get a full night of sleep tonight, so I’m going to wrap this up; get out of the Jacuzzi; and finish getting ready for bed so that I can do that.

Until next time...

...May the Magi Force be with you!