Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Sping is in the air in Witch Falls, and while Cassie and Michael are sharing their Light with the world; most of our favorite Magi are enjoying their home town adventures with most of their favorite people - whether that is at work or play! Whether at home or elsewhere in the world, there is a lot going on for all of our favorite Magi as we head through Spring toward the first holiday weekend of the summer season at the end of May. You won't want to miss out on any of the action; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Friday, March 8, 2013

Cassie's Journal - March 7, 2013



Happy 29th birthday, Uncle Adam!

The sun was out all day; the temperature warmed up; and Aunt Leanne got to have a day off from her morning sickness.  She had some fun teasing Mom about timing her morning sickness around her husband’s birthday better than Mom did while pregnant with the twins for Dad’s birthday; and I have a feeling that it will be one of those jokes that will live on to be dragged out and dusted off now and then for years to come.  Mom might have wished that she’d felt better that day, but she and I also got to find out how much our new family and friends really loved us when they all pitched in to help; so I wouldn’t have changed anything about how everything had turned out.  There’s also that whole after-midnight, it’s officially your birthday surprise that Mom started Dad’s birthday out with that morning; though I don’t really want to think about that any more than I want to think about the kinds of birthday surprises along those lines that Aunt Leanne likely had – or is still having – with Uncle Adam for his special day.

My day started out with Tai Chi and a normal school morning breakfast.  I was running ahead of schedule, and met up with Rowen at her house.  We were involved in a minor snowball fight that Patrick and a few other guys started while walking to the school, but managed to do that without having serious casualties or tween drama.  I can’t say the same for the rest of the day.  There were several Grade Seven student casualties for both of our tests today, and though I wasn’t the only one to get the bonus questions, I got razzed by some of the guys for being the first to provide those answers during the test post-mortems.

Lisa was particularly unhappy to again be reminded that she isn’t getting the same kind of grades that Michael is; but that I am.  She was even more annoyed with me after checking up on us during our lunchtime music practice – and not liking what she saw.  Our afternoon test was in Computers, and by then, I was getting fired up about Uncle Adam’s impending birthday dinner; so I even managed to finish my test before Rowen did today – early enough that I had my one hundred and four percent mark back before the end of class.  That little news flash set off another round of razzing; a pair of grins from Rowen and Michael; and a frosty glare from Lisa that turned to ice when she noticed her boyfriend grinning at me.  I’ll guess that if Lisa knew that I could just as easily ace a forth or fifth-year college-level exam in just about any subject, she would not feel any better about me.

Moving along, while the rest of the afternoon was a bit frosty for me, it was nice to have warmer weather for the walk home.  Rowen and I were still doing our normal Thursday work night, though I only worked in the office until it was time to get ready for our dinner at the Inn; and to help Mom with Ethan and Ehlana so that she – and they – could get ready too.  Dad did a quick change and freshened up after getting home, and then we drove over to the Inn; meeting Uncle Adam, Aunt Leanne, and the rest of the dinner party guests there.  Ethan, Ehlana, and I had Rowen, Patrick, Naomi, Michael, and Rebecca sitting with us, and yes, Michael sat next to me; again thanks to Ethan.

Miranda and Jacob had been invited too, and though they each took some time to sit down and eat with us; they both mostly worked too.  There were other guests juggling work too.  Uncle Adam’s Mom was there for the entire party, but his Dad only caught the tail end of it after closing the Emporium for the night.  Ditto that for Rowen’s Dad; Naomi’s Mom; both Hannah and Nathan Draper; and a few others.  We started out with two ‘adult’ tables, and had three crowded groups by the time the dining room was being set up for game night.

We – the kids – were mostly on our own except for a little time with Uncle Adam when he was opening his gifts; and doing the birthday cake and song.  March Break and Easter were our top two dinner chat topics with a side trip down snowboard memory lane that Aunt Leanne instigated during one of her visits to our table that were mostly so she could tease me; crack a joke or two; and continue her matchmaking campaign.  Listening to Aunt Leanne tonight, you’d never know that Rowen and Tim were out there on the slopes too, and that Michael and I were never snowboarding alone; but Rowen seemed to think that Aunt Leanne’s version of events didn’t need facts to get in the way of the entertainment, and she reminded me that Michael and I had, in fact, been snowboarding together while conveniently skipping the fact that she and Tim had been right in front of us the entire time.  Ethan, Ehlana, and Naomi did way too much giggling over the whole thing; and Rebecca was just as amused as Rowen was.

I should be grateful that Aunt Leanne only had time for cameo visits with us while she was mostly busy with hosting the party; helping Uncle Adam have a happy birthday; and when she was trying her best to help him win the senior championship once the gaming started.  There were jokes about Uncle Adam getting lucky on his birthday when they actually managed to with that championship, and I’ll pretend that I don’t know what Aunt Leanne meant by her comments about just how lucky Uncle Adam had been so far today – and still might be again before the night was over.

Getting back on track here, while Aunt Leanne was busy, that didn’t keep her from getting in a few zingers and nudges during the gaming part of our evening, and since Lisa and Nora were there with Michael and Tim; her efforts were not universally appreciated.  I was already in the tweeird zone for being in close proximity to Michael when Lisa got to the Inn while we both looked like we were having too much fun.  Since we really had been having fun, even with Aunt Leanne’s contributions; I couldn’t really bring myself to being particularly worried about what Lisa or anyone else thought about it.

Ethan and Ehlana were having fun too; and their entertainment tonight included a dozen or more visits to see Michael while he was playing the different games with Lisa.  Sometimes they’d want to sit on his lap or get picked up and carried around; while other times they just seemed to need random hugs – or kisses, in Ehlana’s case.  Lisa directed some suspicious looks at me, but I didn’t need to fake my reaction to her unspoken accusation, and if my brother and sister have some ulterior motive; they aren’t sharing that information with me.  There weren’t any signs that I saw to suggest that Aunt Leanne had recruited them as part of her master matchmaking plan, and it’s not as if Michael was the only person in the room being hit by random acts of hugging from my adorable brother and sister.

Rowen and I managed a top-ten finish in the junior championship, and though that was good for us, it still earned me some more razzing for playing better with Michael; and also because we finished ahead of him and Lisa – yet one more reason for her to be annoyed with me.  This week, Aunt Leanne volunteered me – and Mom and Dad – to help with the post-gaming clean-up because she couldn’t stay for reasons we won’t discuss.  Rowen didn’t stay, and neither did Tim, Nora, or any of the other tweens and teens except Michael and Lisa.  Can you say awkward?

Ditto that for the goodnight hugs and kisses.  It’s not like I hugged or kissed Michael, but I’m apparently not supposed to share hugs and kisses with his parents, brother, sister, or Stephanie when his girlfriend is in the room with us.  It had been a fun night, but by then, I was glad to climb into the back seat of the van and head for home.  We did the bedtime routine with Ethan and Ehlana right away, and then I came up to my room to get changed; in bed with Mandy; and started on my studying.  I put my wards up so that I could kick things into a higher gear tonight while having a chat with Mandy.  I should probably stop talking to her about the tweeird moments in my life, but her advice is usually entertaining while also being totally inappropriate for human application.  I’m sure that Mom and Dad would have a problem if I tried taking her advice.

Wow, I don’t want to be thinking along those lines when I fall asleep.  Let’s talk about anything else!

I worked on our Magi Project archive tonight, and that was mostly because I’d been noodling some ideas about things I’d sensed while we were snowboarding.  It’s too bad that we can’t do scans of Magi and latent people while doing high-intensity sports.  The results would likely be very interesting.  Rowen wasn’t the only tween or teen to really shine on Saturday, and though my little memory-tutorial helped some; most of her success was all her own doing and abilities.  Memory-transfers could be a nice teaching tool sometimes, but I’m really interested in studying why there wasn’t an obvious pattern to which members of our group excelled at skiing or snowboarding while others didn’t.  When I’m saying ‘excelled’, I mean it to be relative to each person’s natural ability.  I haven’t really had any opportunity to study Magi or Latents in an environment where intangibles like fear play a significant role in performance.  So far, my noodling has only come up with some ideas of which directions we could take for that kind of a study, and if more snowboarding will be involved; I’m definitely signing up to go on those trips.

The archive work was followed by my language lessons, and I’ve finished all of my nightly computer checks too, so once I finish this journal entry; that’ll be it for tonight.  It’s only going on twelve-thirty, and the bad news is that I’m still too wound up to sleep.  Maybe I’ll try playing my keyboard for a while and see if that helps.  Whatever happens, at least we only have one more school day to go until the weekend.  We don’t have anything other than the work day on Saturday planned, but a quiet weekend in would be a nice break before we gear up for the March Break and Easter holidays.

There we go again with bunnies cropping up in my thoughts at bedtime.  I’m going to give that music practice a chance to help me sleep now, so...

...until next time, this is Magi Master Cassie Proctor; logging out!