Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Sping is in the air in Witch Falls, and while Cassie and Michael are sharing their Light with the world; most of our favorite Magi are enjoying their home town adventures with most of their favorite people - whether that is at work or play! Whether at home or elsewhere in the world, there is a lot going on for all of our favorite Magi as we head through Spring toward the first holiday weekend of the summer season at the end of May. You won't want to miss out on any of the action; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Cassie's Journal - March 24, 2013



Welcome home, Grandma and Grandpa!

Getting to have dinner with them at the Inn, and spending a few hours together was a great way to wrap up the March Break holiday, but let’s recap the rest of the day first.

Mom, Dad, and I had agreed to skip Tai Chi this morning in favor of a little extra sleep.  I actually did manage to get a few hours of down time, though it didn’t really feel like more than a cat nap when we first woke up.  The crazy Sunday morning rush kicked in almost immediately.  I helped Mom and Dad with four toddlers, and then Rowen and Rebecca helped Mom with them – and with Lindsay – while Dad and I headed outside for another round of shoveling.  There was maybe another inch or so of the white stuff to get off the driveway, sidewalks, van, and truck; but it didn’t take all that long to get everything done – especially after Michael joined in to help us.

Tim, Patrick, and Scott were the last to wake up, and the two younger boys had needed some encouragement that Rowen and I let Ethan and Aiden provide for them with a little constructive pouncing.  Mom had the breakfast cooking well underway by the time Dad, Michael, and I got back inside.  The usual juggling act continued from there, and my part of the circus included helping Mom with the rest of the cooking; eating quickly so I could take a turn having a shower and getting ready for church; and taking a turn or two watching Ethan, Ehlana, and the other younger kids.  Somehow, we all managed to be ready to go on time; and then Mom and Dad both drove loads of kids over to the church after Naomi and Aiden were each picked up by their parents first.  Dad had four out of five of the boys with him, and I was very happy that Rowen did not have any entertainment opportunities that might have happened if Michael and Tim had been in the minivan with us.

It’s Palm Sunday, so we – the kids and teens – were in the sanctuary for more of the service than usual before being sent off to Sunday school.  The teen praise team helped out with some of the music; some of the kids and teens were involved with the Palm Sunday story skits; and once we were in our Sunday school classes, we split our time between a bible lesson about Palm Sunday and more Easter weekend practices for the kids and teens involved in some or all of the services next weekend.  There was lots of time to get everything done because today’s service was more than an hour and a half long.

Rowen isn’t here tonight as I write this, but she’d be reminding me that I should back up and mention that all was not well in the land of tween when she and I walked into the sanctuary with Rebecca, Michael, Tim, and the remainder of our little sleepover gang.  We stopped to wait just inside the doors for Mom and Dad to join us, but Lisa and Nora had been waiting for Michael and Tim; and neither of them looked very impressed to see their boyfriends hanging out with us.  The whole sleepover news flash went over like a ton of bricks too, so I’ll guess that any details they hear about will just make things worse.

Tim tried to help mitigate the potential girlfriend problem by immediately going to hang out with Nora and sit with her family, but Michael had Ethan in his arms, and didn’t even try to pass him off to me after Lisa joined us.  They eventually went to sit with Rebecca and his parents after Mom and Dad caught up with us, but Lisa didn’t look at all happy for the rest of the morning.

And before I move on; new underwear day two was only a little less weird than it was yesterday.

It took a while to get home after the service ended.  Nearly everyone had driven, and that meant a line-up in front of the church that was mostly to keep the girls from needing to navigate slippery sidewalks in dress shoes.  Mom and Dad only had Ethan, Ehlana, Rowen and me to take home with them, and they invited Uncle Adam and Aunt Leanne to have lunch with us.  Rowen’s parents were working at the store again for the last day of the holiday weekend; so she was spending the rest of the day with me until after the buffet dinner at the Inn.  Violet was home for lunch too, but she didn’t get home until after doing the goodbyes with Dillon and dropping him off at the Inn.

I was hoping that her sleepover at Dillon’s house would be of more interest to Aunt Leanne than grilling me about everything that didn’t happen last night with Michael and Tim; but she was happy to multi-task.  Having Dad, Uncle Adam, and Ethan there may have saved me from getting teased about the parts of our shopping trip that Aunt Leanne was most interested in – that, and the girls’ rules that prohibit her from gossiping about those back room purchases.  She had more than enough material to use without that, though, and even though I still mostly had fun despite being one of the main entertainment targets; I was really glad when lunch was over and Rowen and I could escape to my room for a while.

Violet needed to pack up and head home then – especially since she was in for a messy drive home; but we let her have that time with Mom and Aunt Leanne while Dad and Uncle Adam took care of Ethan and Ehlana.  She left for Woodvale by a quarter to two; and Uncle Adam and Aunt Leanne headed over to their place then too.

I was thinking about having a nap right about then, and Ethan, Ehlana, and Mom did go and do that, but Rowen and I ended up going for a slushy little bike ride instead.

That change in plans happened because Michael came over to pick up the overnight bags that he and Rebecca had left here so they wouldn’t need to take them to the Inn from the church.  He had Tim with him, and they were going to goof around on their bikes while Michael was on his afternoon break.  Rowen was responsible for getting us invited to go riding too, but I’ll admit that I was just as enthusiastic as she was about showing off our new bikes and taking them out for a spin.  We froze our butts off doing that, but had a total blast until a band of rain rolled through and put an end to our ride.  Being cold and damp by the time we got home gave Rowen yet another excuse to keep hanging out with Michael and Tim; and Ethan and Ehlana were happy to help her out with getting them to stay for an afternoon hot chocolate and bakery snack break that stretched out until Michael really needed to hurry back to the Inn.

Grandma and Grandpa were delayed a bit by the weather, so our dinner plans were pushed back to the late buffet.  That gave Rowen and I time to have showers and clean up from our bike ride; play dress up; and spend some extra time doing our hair in braids and curls.  Mom and Dad drove us over to Grandma and Grandpa’s house when they were nearly home, and we were there to help them upload the van and get everything inside.  They needed a little time to freshen up before we all went over to the Inn, so we didn’t get there until nearly a half-hour after the late buffet started.

That change in plans also made it possible for Rowen’s parents and brother to join us for dinner; and there were quite a few store owners and their families celebrating the end of a busy March Break shopping week by having dinner there too after closing their shops and stores for the day.  Since we hadn’t seen Grandma and Grandpa in so long, Ethan, Ehlana, Rowen, and I got to sit at the double table that had been pushed together for us with them, Mom and Dad, Uncle Adam and Aunt Leanne, and Uncle Nick and Aunt Deborah.

Grandpa provided most of the dinner entertainment with his tall – I mean travel – tales.  Ethan and Ehlana particularly enjoyed the improbable stories about their run-ins with Hobbits in New Zealand; Tasmanian Devils in Tasmania; and unbelievably gigantic whales while scuba diving the Great Barrier Reef.  I was happy to sit back, enjoy the stories, and try not to give Aunt Leanne any opportunities to tease me or play matchmaker.

I was mostly successful in that mission right up until I made the fateful decision to go into the kitchen to make sure Dillon was doing okay after having to say goodbye to Violet; and to share a round of goodnight hugs with Miranda, Jacob, and the rest of my friends.  It’s a good thing that we were one of the last groups of customers leaving the Inn by then; and that Michael wouldn’t have to get teased for long before he’d be able to escape and go home.

There’s no way I could sit here now and write that I wasn’t thrilled with his reaction to seeing me tonight.  I’d already hugged Stephanie, Jake, and Dillon by the time he walked into the main kitchen from the back room, and while he wasn’t at risk of dropping dishes or anything; he did stop dead in his tracks and lose track of several long moments while staring at me.  That earned him a hug; which ended up being at least as tweeird for me as it probably was for him.

Note to me – for the next however long it takes, use extreme caution when choosing hugging targets.  Tonight’s lesson came courtesy of the combination of new underwear, satin shirt, and another cashmere sweater that combined to make that hug with Michael very pleasantly uncomfortable.

I am not crossing over!  Repeat as often as necessary!

Since Michael was still more than a little dazed and unresponsive by the time I’d finished the rest of the hugs with his parents and Rebecca, I wasn’t surprised when Miranda had to pass that little news flash on to my family; and she and Aunt Leanne spent a few minutes teasing me about it before we headed home.  Regardless of the tweeird factor, that little memory was worth getting teased over; so I just went along with it and had fun too.

Grandma and Grandpa were tired, but still used to a different time zone, so they came home with us so we could talk with them for another hour or so; and do the bedtime story with Ethan and Ehlana.  Uncle Adam and Aunt Leanne stopped in too, and Aunt Leanne had time for a little bonus teasing directed my way while we made up hot drinks for everyone before moving into the living room.  it was wind down time after that, and though I’d thought about starting my usual nightly studies after coming up to bed, the lack of sleep from last night has caught up with me; and I don’t have a few more hours of play time left in me.

When I think about it, this entire week has had a lot of strange moments mixed in with all of the fun.  We didn’t get anything even remotely close to the warm Spring weather we’d been hoping for a week ago Friday when it had been so beautiful, but we’ve still managed to have a really great holiday anyway.  I’m probably in the minority of kids and teens who are excited about going back to school in the morning, but then we only have a four day week anyway before the Easter holiday; and there’s sure to be a lot of holiday themed fun to go along with the regular work.

There could be some tween drama in my immediate future too, but I’m really not all that worried about it even though I wish that Lisa wasn’t upset with me – or with Michael because of me.  I’m too tired to think about that tonight; and might even be exhausted enough that I won’t be kept awake thinking about that hug with Michael either.

I am not crossing over; and I will not dream of cute, cuddly boys – BUNNIES!

Until next time, this is Magi Master Cassie Proctor; logging out!