Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Winter has, for the most part, been mild so far - or awesome for the month that Cassie and Michael spent in summertime-Australia! They are home now and will be working from home for most of the time until Easter. The hometown work will include getting ready for their next trip, but there will be a lot of fun to get in on and share with their favorite people - including their March Break trip to Florida adventure. All of your favorite Magi Masters will continue to work and play while their future plans unfold; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Cassie's Journal - March 16, 2013



I am so glad that I didn’t wake up singing Disney duets!  You’re off the hook, Rowen.

We did wake up to find that the weather forecast had not been wrong; and the temperature had dropped like a rock to near-freezing.  That wasn’t a big deal while Dad and I exercised and then had breakfast with Violet, Rowen, Ethan, and Ehlana; but we would have been more comfortable doing our outdoor chores after that if it had still been warm out.

That work had to wait until Alicia came over to take care of Ethan and Ehlana.  Rowen went home to meet up with her parents before going on to the computer store after helping with the kitchen clean-up and getting her bag packed and ready to go, and after she left; I got started on some house cleaning and laundry while Dad and Violet juggled hitting the showers and getting ready for the day too with taking care of the twins.

When Alicia made it over, she and Violet stayed inside and continued working on some of the usual Saturday morning chores while keeping Ethan and Ehlana entertained, and Dad and I went outside to deal with the couple of hours of work that needed to be done there.  It was cold and damp, and some of the jobs that need to be done as the snow melts in the spring are gross; but having a little Dad and daughter time was still mostly fun.  There was more house work to do once we were inside again, and we were busy through until we stopped for lunch at one o’clock.

That was the end of the work part of the day for all of us except Dad.  Alicia had the rest of the day off; and Uncle Adam came over to help Dad with Ethan and Ehlana for the afternoon and evening.  Violet found out at lunchtime that Aunt Leanne had set up an appointment for her with Liz at the Salon, and she spent most of the afternoon getting ready for her dinner and dance date with Dillon.  Rowen came over again after lunch, and though we were free to play all afternoon, we spent a couple of hours playing with Ethan and Ehlana before I needed to pack a bag for the post-dance sleepover that Rowen and I are doing at her house tonight; and we both needed to get ready for the dance too.

Getting ready for the dance before dinner was mostly because we were going to help Dad and Uncle Adam with Ethan and Ehlana again before, during, and after dinner until the dance started.  Other than having my shower at home, Rowen and I did the full hair and dress-up routine at her house.  I would have been happy to wear jeans, a nice sweater, and put my hair in a simple ponytail; but I knew that Rowen needed to get dressed up just in case ‘Tommy’ actually might happen to come up for air with his girlfriend long enough to notice that his shy, quiet, computer geek classmate is actually one of the most beautiful girls in our school.  We both had to pick alternate dresses because of the colder weather, and Rowen wasn’t happy about that; but I convinced her that shivering all night in spring dresses wouldn’t be any fun.  I think we mostly made up for that with the extra attention to her hair, a few diamonds from my jewelry box, and just a touch or two of makeup.

They’re biased, but Dad, Uncle Adam, and Ethan were impressed when we got back there in time to help with Ethan and Ehlana while dinner was being cooked.  Dad took pictures and sent them to Mom and Aunt Leanne; though they didn’t get the pictures until later – and I didn’t get the email grilling and jokes from Aunt Leanne until after the dance.  Violet had already gone to meet up with Dillon, Jake, and Stephanie by then before going on to the Inn.  Dad had taken pictures of Violet to send to Mom and Aunt Leanne too before she left, and she looked as great for this dance as she had for the one two years ago when she and Dillon had been set up by Stephanie and Jake.

Dad had decided that he needed to cook ‘real’ food for at least one meal while Mom was away; possibly so he didn’t get teased about the Sunday buffet at the Inn being the only non-frozen or canned food that he fed us all weekend.  Uncle Adam helped him, and the chicken and veggies stir fry recipe was his too, but just in case there’s some future jokes about it anyway; they had four witnesses to corroborate the fact that Dad did actually do most of the cooking; and all of the food was delicious.

It was raining lightly when it was time for us to go, so Uncle Adam gave Rowen and I a ride over to the school in Mom’s minivan.  Most of the single tweens and teens had skipped the Valentine’s dance, but we were glad to see that there were some single girls for us to hang out with tonight – including Rebecca; though she didn’t get there until nearly an hour after the doors opened because she’d been helping out at the Inn, and had needed to go home and get ready for the dance after the main dinner rush was over.  She still hasn’t gotten interested in any particular guy, but I can tell you that there were a few guys more than a little interested in her tonight.

Rowen and I feel a bit under-everything when we’re hanging out with Rebecca.  We’re catching up a bit now, but she’s still four inches taller than us; and looked a lot better in her dress tonight than we did in our dresses.  While I mostly feel the same way Rowen does about that; it doesn’t really bother me at all.  That could be because I really like getting to hang out with Rebecca, but I’m also not worried about whether a certain guy will notice me at all anytime we’re with her like Rowen is.

We had fun together; were on the dance floor for nearly every up-tempo song; and entertained ourselves with a little girl chat during most of the slow song sets.  There weren’t any Cinderella Story moments for any of us, but Jake took Rebecca out for a spin once; and I dodged what might have been a dance set-up when I saw Michael dancing with Stephanie then too; and noticed Dillon heading my way.  That seemed like a very good time for Rowen and I to go for a walk; which she was happy to help me with – and so she could get a break from watching ‘Tommy’ while he was stuck like glue to his girlfriend while they were dancing.

After dodging that potential tweeirdness, I managed to successfully avoid any personal tween drama.  I bumped into Michael once when he and Tim were on the way back from getting drinks for themselves and their dates and Rowen and I were going to get refills, and though we only brushed arms on the way past; that contact was enough for me to be hit with an empathic jolt even if I wasn’t able to read how he was feeling from the look in his eyes and the little, wistful smile he directed my way.

Contrary to what Aunt Leanne and Rowen might think, knowing how Michael feels actually makes me less interested in crossing over and getting into the tween dating game.  I wouldn’t know how to handle a situation like he’s in with Lisa any more than he does; though I guess it could never be quite the same for me anyway; since I didn’t grow up with our classmates like he did.  No matter how nice he tries to be, though, he’s eventually going to need to tell Lisa that he doesn’t feel the same way about her as she feels about him; and that’ll be hard for both of them – especially since I’m fairly sure that Lisa has liked him a lot for a long time.

I hope I never have to deal with problems like that.  Maybe that’s one of the reasons Mom was never interested in dating even before losing her parents.  She made it through Grades Seven and Eight without even going on one date; though I’m sure she’d tell me that was because she was even more of a bookworm than Rowen was when we first met, and didn’t have any boys interested in her.  I wonder if that theory would still hold up if she’d grown up in Witch Falls and gone to school with Dad.

Getting back to the dance recap, other than that little empathic moment, I was able to stay out of Michael’s way, and Lisa seemed very happy about that.  From what Rebecca told us; they’d had fun at the Inn too while having dinner with Tim and Nora, and I hope the rest of their night was good too.  Rowen and I mostly had fun, and we even managed to entertain ourselves a little bit with her personal tweeird moments – like when we walked past ‘Tommy’ and his girlfriend when they were obliviously making out and didn’t even notice us while we were on our way outside to catch our ride home with Rowen’s Dad.

We started out our sleepover with a snack and dance story time with Rowen’s parents, Patrick, and Scott.  The two boys must have spent some time working up their plans to bug us for the rest of the night, and though some of their antics were entertaining, by the time they finally either fell asleep or decided that their mission had been accomplished; Rowen and I were both fairly annoyed with them.

It’s past-time for us to be sleeping too, but Rowen needed some girl talk time; and that was hard to manage while Patrick and Scott were interrupting us every few minutes.  All joking aside now, and despite how we deal with it in public, she really has a tough time feeling the way she does about ‘Tommy’ while he continues to be completely clueless.  As usual, I don’t feel like I’m able to help her as much as I should, and not even Aunt Leanne’s emailed jokes and badgering about Michael managed to get more than a couple of half-hearted laughs from Rowen tonight.  I wish I could tell her that her future is going to be so amazing that she’ll look back and laugh at all of the private tween drama; but I can’t tell her about that any more than I can tell anyone else what I see of their futures.  Sometimes it really sucks to know some of the things that Ethan, Ehlana, and I know – even when they’re really great things.

Rowen might like the dreams that would go along with some of the future I’m thinking about right now, but I don’t need to use my Sight to know that I’ll be desperately trying not to think about soft, fluffy bunnies again tonight.

I’m going to get started on doing that right now, so...

...until next time, this is Magi Master Cassie Proctor; logging out!