Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Sping is in the air in Witch Falls, and while Cassie and Michael are sharing their Light with the world; most of our favorite Magi are enjoying their home town adventures with most of their favorite people - whether that is at work or play! Whether at home or elsewhere in the world, there is a lot going on for all of our favorite Magi as we head through Spring toward the first holiday weekend of the summer season at the end of May. You won't want to miss out on any of the action; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Cassie's Journal - October 5, 2012


Happy 12th birthday, Sally!

There’s a very good chance that Sally pulled off the party of the year for our class, and while I’m not at all comfortable with boy-girl parties; I really love barn dances!

It was a lot cooler today, and we had a few spits of rain this morning, but Sally’s family just added a little heat to the hay barn; and the colder weather didn’t affect her party at all – except maybe for her father and uncle while they were working the barbeques outside before dinner.  Before I get to the party recap, though, I should probably get the school day news out of the way first.

Day One Fridays are always more fun for me now, and other than needing to settle for Tai Chi indoors, it was a good day.  Even though the other girls were talking a lot about boys today, Rowen and I put up with that during lunch so we could hang out with Sally; and the party talk and speculation was entertaining.  In music class, we’re already attempting to play songs, and I don’t mind admitting that the saxophone and flute sections of our little would-be ensemble are the best in the class.  I’d say that the extra work Rowen and I are putting in is helping a lot, and Michael was already ahead of the rest of us thanks to his background in music.  That class was the most fun, but though I love Spanish too; today it was just the last class we needed to get through before it was party time.

Rowen and I split up after school to get ready for the party, and then we walked over to the computer store to get a ride out to Sally’s house with Rowen’s mother.  Sally had invited all of our classmates, most of the girls she’d played baseball with; her cousins; and some of their friends.  Bringing dates was an option too, and that all made for a very big group of kids and teens at the farm.  It also required some parental cooperation for the transportation, and Patricia was also taking Rebecca, Jenny, Michael, and Tim.  My Mom or Dad was going to be doing the return trip when the party ended sometime around eleven.

If I’d crossed over and cared about these things, going to the party with Rebecca and Jenny would have been a very bad start to the night.  They both fill out a pair of jeans and a top way better than Rowen or I do – a fact that the boys at the party noticed immediately.  We were practically invisible by comparison.  For some parts of the night, that was a good state for us to be in; but I’ll get to the weirder parts of the night in a bit.  A hay barn dance sure isn’t anything new, but it was new and exciting to me.  The floor had been swept clean; bales of hay lined the area that was set up for the dance; and everything from pumpkins to scarecrows were used to decorate the place.

The party started out with a social hour that included all of the adult members of Sally’s family – her parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins.  They were all on the work crew for dinner, and ate with us too; but then, once the post-dinner clean-up was finished, the rest of the party was almost completely chaperone-free.  Yes, that is Halloween-scary!

Rowen and I weren’t the only ‘single’ girls tonight, but we were the only two in our class.  Rebecca was the only girl there from her Grade Eight class not currently playing the dating game; and she spent some time with us now and then; but had to juggle doing that without taking a hit to her reputation.  I wasn’t worried about that for myself, and if Rowen and I lost points with the girls in our class; we traded that for bonus points with the younger girls that we did spend time with; encourage to get up and dance; and entertain with some younger-girl rated chat and jokes.

That was all fun, but the weird and scary was all around us too.  Apparently, haylofts are popular places for making out, and explained why party guests kept disappearing in pairs.  Some of our classmates and friends were among those couples; though I’d guess that not all of those trips to one of the haylofts were ‘successful’.  One couple that apparently did have fun playing in the hay, though, had Rowen’s attention when they returned to the dance; and not in a good way.

A cool night walk was exactly what she needed then, and we wandered around outside for a good fifteen minutes before she was ready to go back inside and not attempt a seriously inappropriate Transmutation on our unsuspecting classmates.  Yes, that’s totally wrong for a Magi of the Light, but we’re the good guys; not perfect.  I’m not mentioning any names here for Rowen’s benefit; but I know she’ll be expecting me to write about the fact that Michael looked desperate to escape when he and Vanessa returned from their little hayloft sojourn, and she didn’t seem particularly happy with him; though not for the same reason.  Vanessa had the full-on boys-are-so-dense look going on, but at least, according to the girl chat Rowen and I heard later, Michael was getting the benefit of the doubt for just being too nice a guy instead of too dumb to take the hints.

I don’t really want to write about that anymore, so let’s talk about Sally’s best birthday ever so far instead; since this is her big day.  The invitations had been best wishes only, but Rowen and I, and the rest of her closest friends, brought gifts that she opened during the cleanup between dinner and dessert.  I’m pretty sure that she got her birthday wish too, since she spent a lot of time dancing with the guy in our class that I know she likes the most, Joshua.  I’ll be very surprised if they’re not an ‘official’ couple soon.

The party started wrapping up at eleven, and Mom came to pick us up at about ten after; but it was closer to eleven-thirty by the time we were on the road for Witch Falls.  That was mostly due to having three out of six members of our carpool AWOL.  I pretended not to notice that Michael wouldn’t look at me even once, or that he was trying to hide the fact that he was blushing.  Tim wasn’t blushing, and instead looked a bit dazed as he sat in the van with a lop-sided grin on his face.  Jenny didn’t say much, since she sat up front with Mom while Rebecca, Rowen, and I were in the back seat, but there was no doubt that she’d had a great night.  I’m glad that it’ll be Rebecca who will be doing that best friend chat sometime soon instead of me.

Uncle Adam and Aunt Leanne were still at our house when we got home after dropping Jenny and Tim off along the way.  They’d been over for dinner and a movie night, and I found out right after Rebecca, Michael, and Rowen went home that they’d stayed specifically so Aunt Leanne could grill me about the party, and tease me about things like not kissing Michael goodnight when he left for home from our driveway.  I’m sorry about being such a disappointment to her for wasting a perfectly good barn dance opportunity; but Mom and Dad didn’t have a problem with me not dancing with any boys or spending any ‘quality time’ in a hayloft either.

In the category of too much information, I did not need that little side-chat about how much fun my parents or aunt and uncle think that making out in a hayloft would be.  Yes, you all missed out on doing that because of growing up in two different parts of the country and age difference respectively; but I really don’t think you should be looking to chaperone the next birthday barn dance just so you can experience what might have been when you were teens.

I was freed from the interrogation by twelve-thirty, and needed to have a shower before climbing into bed with Mandy.  It’s a good thing that I wasn’t playing in the hay.  It was hard enough dealing with my hair with what got in it just from leaning against bales of hay when we were sitting around and other incidental contact.  Replaying the events of the party has kept me awake, and Aunt Leanne’s teasing didn’t help either, so I’ve been doing some archive reading while winding down.  That included some work on our Magi project, and I always seem to have more to add to that after parties like this one.

We’ve got a yard work weekend planned, though, and I need to get at least a little sleep, so it’s past-time for me to...

...say ‘goodnight, Cassie’.

“Goodnight, Cassie.”