Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Sping is in the air in Witch Falls, and while Cassie and Michael are sharing their Light with the world; most of our favorite Magi are enjoying their home town adventures with most of their favorite people - whether that is at work or play! Whether at home or elsewhere in the world, there is a lot going on for all of our favorite Magi as we head through Spring toward the first holiday weekend of the summer season at the end of May. You won't want to miss out on any of the action; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Cassie's Journal - April 15, 2014



Happy Tax Day, everyone!

To celebrate, Michael, Rowen, Tim, and I switched our work days and worked today instead of tomorrow – though that wasn’t exactly optional for all of us.  Rowen was drafted to help out at the store while here parents were busy; and it was an option for Michael because his parents were working at the Inn today to help with the extra business that comes every year on tax day when people don’t want to worry about food when they’re dealing with other problems.

You might be wondering about whether tax day is a big deal for our family business, and the answer to that for me, personally, is an easy ‘no’.  I don’t handle that part of our investment companies, but even if I did, and while we do have a lot of business in this country; we’re also very diversified around the world, and the majority of our business isn’t affected by taxes here at all.  That does mean that we deal with taxes in countries all over the world all the time, though; but Mom keeps up with all of that for us.

Unless you’re reading this in some far-distant future when someone has actually gotten around to making taxation simple and easy, I don’t need to go into a diatribe about how idiotic taxation is in our country – or most others – so I won’t.  Okay, maybe I will for a moment; but only to suggest that those billions of hours of time wasted on everything to do with taxes could be put to way more productive uses.  So why don’t we make it easy?  My guess is that most people would freak out at the numbers if we had just one tax – something like a consumption tax – and nothing else.

Don’t believe me?  Do the math.  Last year, for instance; GDP was around seventeen trillion dollars and total federal, state, and local government spending was about six trillion dollars.  Without getting all messy about the numbers, or issues that are really stupid – like government employees paying taxes when their entire income is derived from taxes in the first place – let’s just call that government expense a third of all GDP.  How would you like to have a thirty-three percent tax on everything you buy?

I’d better stop there before I do go on a mini-rant and move along.

It was a bit warmer today, but it’s supposed to be much nicer tomorrow; so there’s something else that’s good about switching our work days up this week.  That meant that I needed to work harder tonight than I do on Wednesdays because we also had band practice after school; but that’s okay – and I’m still going to be sleeping before midnight anyway.  Okay, I did need to cheat a bit to make that happen; but then Mom, Ethan, and Ehlana took advantage of my time-phase to do extra work or studying too – and I made up even more time than usual because Mom let that time-phase practice be my Magi lesson tonight.

Yes, it is very tiring keeping an entire room with four people in a time-phase; but it’s also really cool too.

Other than that news, I really don’t have that much to report tonight that’s particularly newsworthy.  The cold weather kept us indoors for Tai Chi; with Dad in the city, we just went with a cereal and juice or coffee breakfast; and it was a fairly quiet day around school.  Playing Easter-themed songs at band practice was fun, but our after-school study session was as short as we could make it so that Rowen and Michael could help their parents as soon as possible.  Dinner was quick and easy, and so was the clean-up; and I’ve already covered the only highlight from our work and study evening in the office.

We did a bedtime chat with Dad while getting Ethan and Ehlana ready for bed; Mom’s now winding down in the Jacuzzi; and I’ve been tucked in with Mandy since about ten minutes after getting up here to my room.  My nightly computing didn’t take long tonight, and I don’t have anything worth mentioning from any of that; so I guess that’s all I have for you tonight.  That’s a good thing too, since I’m pretty much exhausted now and ready to get some sleep.  Until next time…

…Live long and prosper, fellow Magi of the Light!