Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Sping is in the air in Witch Falls, and while Cassie and Michael are sharing their Light with the world; most of our favorite Magi are enjoying their home town adventures with most of their favorite people - whether that is at work or play! Whether at home or elsewhere in the world, there is a lot going on for all of our favorite Magi as we head through Spring toward the first holiday weekend of the summer season at the end of May. You won't want to miss out on any of the action; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Monday, July 21, 2014

Cassie's Journal - July 21, 2014



Happy 2nd Anniversary, Uncle Nick and Aunt Deborah!

They’ve had a good day, and are getting a kid-free night with Leah at Grandma and Grandpa Ayres’ house.  I’ll cover the anniversary dinner when I get to that part of the update for today; but will leave their overnight entertainment to your imagination – should you choose to go there.  I definitely don’t plan on doing that!

It’s been a beautiful, hot day; and though we started out with Tai Chi and breakfast; the main news of the morning was the start of football training for Michael and Tim.  Why is that news for me?  Because Rowen and I did a lot of the training with them.  Not everything, since we weren’t particularly interested in doing push-ups, sit-ups, or the rest of that part of their work-out; but we did help with some of the drills and practice.

Just in case Tim eventually has a different version of the story; I’ll mention here that he did not win any of the suicide drills that Rowen and I ran with him and Michael – unless you consider getting to watch your girlfriend running in front of you a ‘win’.  To be fair, the drills were set up that way on purpose, and Rowen and I were spotted ten yards; but the boys definitely did not catch up to us before we crossed the finish line.  Before any guys reading this start thinking that Michael and Tim must not be very good, try to keep in mind that Rowen and I are pretty fair athletes; and the goal was to give them a real challenge – while making suicide drills just a bit more fun for them.  They have a few inches of height on us now too, but that’s offset easily enough with better technique at the turns.  I do expect the guys to start winning eventually; but that definitely didn’t happen today.

While those drills and a couple of others were fun, my favorite part of the practice was quarterbacking their route running practice.  I may not be able to throw a rocket sixty yards down the field, but I did inherit some math skills; so I can toss a football to the exact spot it’s meant to go for any route – and I have all of the passing plays memorized from the games I watched last season.  Tim wants to work on new plays too eventually, but we didn’t do that today.  Rowen helped out with the route-running practice by doing a few different things – including being our running back for some plays and playing defense or blocker for others as Michael and Tim took turns running routes or trying to defend them.

You’re probably wondering by now why I’m even writing this much about football, considering how little interest I personally have in the sport.  I’d be happy doing anything else with Michael, Tim, and Rowen too, but the boys really want to play football; and I’d rather help them with that than not spend that time together – especially when it’s going to be a lot of time if they make the school team this season.  We had fun with it today too, and like the sport or not; I can actually help the boys to get ready for training camp and have a real shot at making the team.

That said, I don’t have anything else football-related for today – other than to mention that tomorrow’s practice is going to be at the Norton farm.  We didn’t do that today because Michael had his chores to do too; and we are going to need to bike out there and back for those practices so Tuesday works better.  Today, I helped Michael with those chores; but we went for a cool-down swim with Rowen and Tim first before doing that.  After Rowen and Tim moved on, Michael and I helped with getting the lawn and garden work done.  We went for another pair of swims with Rebecca, Jake, and Stephanie when we needed to cool off; and had the work done by one-thirty when we stopped for a late, snack-lunch.

Once we had the work out of the way, Michael and I met up with Rowen and Tim again; took Ethan and Ehlana along with us; and spent a couple of hours playing at the park.  We rode bikes; swam; and ran around at the playground – most of that with quite a few kids and teens since the park was a very popular place to be this afternoon.  I don’t even think about it sometimes, but the park is the best place for most kids and teens in town to go swimming.  I’m okay with a little break right now; but maybe I’ll see about setting up a few swim and play afternoons at my house for some of our friends who don’t have back-yard access to the river – or doing things like canoe trips.  Another big group bike ride would be cool too – Maybe we could shoot for Maple Valley this time!

Getting back to today; I needed to be home in time to help out with Uncle Nick and Aunt Deborah’s dinner party; so Michael and I took Ethan and Ehlana home by a bit after four o’clock and got to work again.  The dinner wasn’t until six; but we helped with everything from cutting up veggies and cooking to setting up tables and chairs in Uncle Adam and Aunt Leanne’s back yard.  After a couple of weeks filled with lots of family barbeques and adventures, this actually seemed to be a bit low-key by comparison; but we had fun for the forty-five minutes or so that Michael and I were there for before he needed to get to his practice.

The younger kids were finished eating by then, so we took them along; and I had Rowen to help me out while Michael and Tim practiced and we kept the kids busy at the playground.  Since I’m thinking about them; this seems like a good time for a Leah and Zack update.

Leah is fourteen and a half months old now; and is at a very entertaining age now that she’s mobile and toddling around.  She wants to do everything that the older kids want to do; and loves to run around and chase Ethan and Ehlana.  Zack isn’t running around anywhere yet, but he’s at a fun stage too – crawling and sitting and playing with his toys; and wishing that he didn’t have to play ‘normal’ baby out in public while the rest of his cousins are having all of the fun.  He’s developing a sense of humor that’s a bit scary; and reminds me a bit too much of Chris and Martin.  When the lab opens in September, maybe they should make job number one discovering a way to weed that particular gene out of the family pool.

It’s just a thought – I know that Uncle Adam and Ehlana have other things they want to do first.  Curing diseases and developing drought-resistant crops are at the top of their list; but the women of the world would appreciate a little less Neanderthal in some of the men a lot too – and that would help to make the world a happier place for all of us!

I’m off-track again, so let’s get back to the news.  Leah and Zack do have a couple of features that mark them as Johnson family cousins, though what most people probably think is the most-obvious similarity – their blonde hair – actually didn’t come to either of them through the Uncle Adam or Aunt Deborah at all.  Leah’s hair and eyes are definitely from her Grandma Lydia; while Zack got a lot of his looks from his mother – though his blue eyes are much deeper blue – like his father’s.  They’re both adorable, and while I wish that I could spend more time with them; I guess that we do get to do more together than most cousins do – and we’ll be able to play with them more often once they’re both a little older.

We had fun hanging out together tonight, and after the ball practice; we all went for a swim back at Uncle Adam and Aunt Leanne’s house before Grandma and Grandpa Ayres took Leah home with them and Michael, Tim, Rowen, and I went home with my family.  Mom and Dad had some work to do in the office then, so we took Ethan and Ehlana upstairs with us to the lounge.  Michael and I got them changed and ready for bed on our way there; but then they stayed up and watched a movie with us before going to bed for the night.  Michael, Tim, Rowen, and I went for a bedtime swim after that; and then I walked Michael home to say goodnight to him with a bit of privacy after Rowen and Tim left for her house.  We didn’t spend a lot of time doing that because we’re all going to be up early for the bike ride out to the Nortons; and that’s why I’m going to be sleeping before midnight again – though that is going to happen in my own bed tonight instead of while cuddling with Michael on the sofa in their living room.

Maybe I should have picked the cuddle time with Michael instead! ;^)

Before I wrap this up, though, that does bring up a couple of things that I should include in this update.  The first is that Michael and I did not get into any trouble for my late night at his house.  We did get teased about it – particularly from Aunt Leanne before and during dinner; but that was mostly just entertaining.  The other thing doesn’t have anything to do with Michael and me directly; but it is teen news.  Word at the park is that Denise Burroughs and Luke Taylor are a couple; and they’ve been hanging out together a lot on their farms.  Luke is in Rebecca’s class, and nearly a year and a half older than Denise; and rumor has it that Denise has been waiting to ‘catch up’ to Luke.  Now that we’re down to weeks away from being in high school too; I guess that works for them now.  That’s really only news because it’ll add one more couple to the couples club in our class and reduces the singles by one.  There are a couple of other reasons I’m mentioning it here too; but let’s leave them for future updates.

I really should get off to sleep now, and that’s all I have for tonight; so, until next time...

...Live long and prosper, fellow Magi of the Light!