Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Sping is in the air in Witch Falls, and while Cassie and Michael are sharing their Light with the world; most of our favorite Magi are enjoying their home town adventures with most of their favorite people - whether that is at work or play! Whether at home or elsewhere in the world, there is a lot going on for all of our favorite Magi as we head through Spring toward the first holiday weekend of the summer season at the end of May. You won't want to miss out on any of the action; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Cassie's Journal - June 22, 2014



Happy 3rd Birthday, Ethan and Ehlana!

They’re having a sleepover with Naomi, Aiden, and Sophia now, and while they might still all be awake; I plan on being off in dreamland a minute or two after I finish with this update.

We’ve had a really great day, but other than Tai Chi this morning; I feel like I’ve been going non-stop since then.  I helped Dad with the cooking; Michael came back over after getting ready for church to join us for Ethan and Ehlana’s big birthday breakfast; and then he helped with the clean-up while I took my turn getting ready for church too and had some hair and dress-up play time with Ehlana.  The twins were very popular while we were at church; and they had a fairly large percentage of our friends and neighbors take at least a moment or two to wish them a happy birthday before or after the service.  That doesn’t happen with very many people, and usually just the most senior seniors around town; but when you’re the only twins in town, you get a little extra attention for things like birthdays.

I was right back into work mode by the time we got home; and Mom, Dad, and I spent nearly an hour rushing around and getting everything packed and ready for our trip to Quarry Lake.  Michael went to the Inn to help with the lunch set-up; but then he was set free in time to catch a ride with us out to the campground.  Rowen and Tim went out there too both for the party and to help out with kid control and the work that never seemed to end.  We hauled gear from the truck to the beach; kept a gang of two and three-year old kids busy and entertained; fed a gang of kids, teens, parents, and grandparents; and kept helping out all afternoon – whether that was taking kids swimming or to the playground or keeping up with the ongoing work through until we loaded up the vehicles and headed back to town.

That maybe doesn’t sound all that exciting in that context, but even with a lot of work; we still had a really great day.  I’d also like to mention that one of my personal favorite top moments of the day was seeing Michael’s reaction to the new swimsuit I picked out to wear today.  That’s not exactly a toddler-rated birthday moment; but I didn’t pick my swimsuits out on Friday with that in mind – and Michael definitely didn’t have a problem with spending the afternoon with me while I was wearing it!  Tim had a comparable reaction to a girlfriends in swimsuits afternoon with Rowen; so I’ll rate our summer shopping trip a complete success based on the evidence collected so far.

Getting back to the actual birthday party, Ethan and Ehlana had a blast with their friends all afternoon; and then the party continued back at home with a fairly large barbeque for our family, their friends, and quite a few neighbors and families of their friends attending.  While not everyone was back in time for dinner from Tory and Kyle’s wedding; Uncle Adam, Aunt Leanne, and Zack did make sure that they were back in time to celebrate with Ethan and Ehlana – even if they hadn’t been able to be with us at Quarry Lake too.

I’ll take a wild guess that Uncle Adam would have preferred spending the afternoon with Aunt Leanne in a swimsuit instead of being stuck in their minivan doing a long drive; but I digress. ;^)

Then again, while I’m in the danger zone anyway; I’ll go ahead and mention that Dad liked Mom’s new swimsuit, skirt-wrap, and top a lot too.  No additional information is required from a kid perspective there; so let’s move along.

Michael needed to go and help out at the Inn for the buffets as soon as we got back; and I spent the next couple of hours rotating between the pre and post-dinner work crews and my dinnertime stint on kid control as we attempted to feed a gang of little kids with as minimal mess as possible.  News flash to parents who have forgotten the toddler years – teen boys may be scary when in small, ravenous bands; but at least they do eat everything in sight instead of wearing half of it!  The good news for us was that dunking kids in the river to wash off everything from hot dog condiments to chocolate ice cream and cake was an option that we took advantage of quite a few times.

The party was officially over after dinner, but it took a while to wind down as our guests slowly headed for their homes in small groups.  Dad needed to go and hide in the office right after dinner so that he could get his work done for morning; but Mom and I still had lots of help from Grandma, Grandpa, and a handful of rotating volunteers to get the rest of the work done; have a little play time with Ethan, Ehlana, and their friends; and then eventually get the sleepover part of the night moved into the ‘go-to-bed’ stage.  I came up to my room once they were tucked in, and since Michael stayed at the Inn until closing; we decided to just call it a night early instead of getting together again for a while.

We’re getting some rain now anyway, so getting a little extra sleep while it’s wet out anyway will make sure that I’m rested up again and ready for a couple of play days while the Stone family is taking the only two days off they’re likely going to have for the next couple of weeks – other than the Fourth of July.  The Inn will be very busy for both the week of and week after the holiday.

I spent a little time in my Jacuzzi after coming up to my room; did a little family business multi-tasking while in the tub; and practiced the teen praise team music for a little while too before climbing into bed with Mandy.  While I heard a bit about Tory and Kyle’s wedding tonight; I was out of the loop for most of those chats with Uncle Adam and Aunt Leanne.  I’ll try to add a bit more of that news to my next report once I do get the rest of the details.

Let’s wrap this up with a few bits of birthday news from Ethan and Ehlana’s perspective.  Without going into a gift-by-gift recap, a top gift for each of them was the new bike that Mom and Dad gave each of them.  No, they are not identical or boys and girls versions of the same bike; but they are both BMX-style and have off-road training wheels so that they can ride them just about anywhere – sidewalks, back yard, or park trails.  My days of pulling them around in the trailer are going to be over sooner instead of later, and while they could ride those bikes without the training wheels right now if they weren’t stuck playing ‘normal’ three-year old kids; they were both quite happy to have their own new ‘two-wheelers’.  I guess we’ll have to pass on their trikes to their cousins now.  Kids – they grow up so fast!

Ethan’s highlight of the day might just have been his birthday kiss from Naomi, but if he admitted that to anyone; it wasn’t me, and I didn’t hear about it.  All of the witnesses thought that Naomi’s gesture was adorable; and Liz seemed to be very proud of her little girl – even while Philip made jokes about needing to lock their daughter up until she was thirty or so.

Here’s a hint for you – oh wait; I’d better not write that just in case my journals for this year are available to you, dear future reader, before the event I’m thinking about right now actually happens.  I definitely do not want to spoil any surprises!

Moving along, other highlights for Ethan and Ehlana included pretty much all of the play time at Quarry Lake; the two-cake dessert options that allowed them to each make a wish and then have a small slice of each to go with their ice cream.  They did not need to be dunked in the river, but happily went in anyway along with most of their friends; and now I’m sure that they’re having fun with their sleepover.

Finally, we don’t actually have much of anything planned for the week ahead.  There’s the normal baseball and teen praise team practice schedule; we’ll be having our regular future plans meeting tomorrow night; and I’ll have the usual family business and chores work to do; but there aren’t any special events booked as of right now.  We’re also not going to have any of ‘our’ family home for the holiday weekend this year, so we won’t have quite the same load of extra chores – though we will probably give Uncle Adam and Aunt Leanne a hand with getting ready for their incoming family.  That’s going to seem strange, but then Michael and I are going to be extra-busy anyway; so that might be for the best.  I’d feel bad if Dawn was here and I couldn’t spend much time with her while I was busy with baseball, the teen praise team, and the time I plan on spending with Michael at the Inn while he’s busy there.

Okay, I can think about stuff like that once we’re closer to the holiday.  For now, though, I’m ready to go into nap mode for the rest of the night; so, until next time…

…Live long and prosper, fellow Magi of the Light!