Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** Sping is in the air in Witch Falls, and while Cassie and Michael are sharing their Light with the world; most of our favorite Magi are enjoying their home town adventures with most of their favorite people - whether that is at work or play! Whether at home or elsewhere in the world, there is a lot going on for all of our favorite Magi as we head through Spring toward the first holiday weekend of the summer season at the end of May. You won't want to miss out on any of the action; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Cassie's Journal - December 24, 2012



I love Christmas Eve day in Witch Falls!

Tai Chi this morning was the last time I slowed down until now; and I’m writing this and doing my nightly computing while waiting for my turn to play Santa – and maybe shake a few presents while I’m downstairs anyway.

Dad had some work to do today, so after having a hot cereal breakfast, he headed out for the office while Mom and I tag-teamed the clean-up; getting ready for the day; and taking care of Ethan and Ehlana.  When we were ready, we all went over to Uncle Adam and Aunt Leanne’s to meet up with everyone for our morning shopping adventure.  I made a little side-trip to get Rowen too, and then we had a short visit – mostly to welcome the McEwans – before heading out again.

Since it came up again today, I’ll add a little side-note about the comments Rowen and I have been getting this weekend about growing up fast.  I guess we’re not the pixies we were when I first moved here, and we are about six inches taller than we were last Christmas, but four-foot-nine isn’t exactly giant territory; and we’re definitely still shorter and on the kid side of tweenie compared to most of the girls our age.

While we’re on the topic of growing up; one of the news stories from the McEwans was about Jonathan having a girlfriend back home, and doing girlfriend Christmas gifts for the first time.  I can sympathize with him for getting teased by Aunt Leanne about that, but wish that I hadn’t been the one to break that news story to Rebecca today.  At least she heard it from somebody who cares about her instead of through the grapevine news network.

I’ll get to that part of my day, but let’s back up to the morning shopping.  We were doing that early mostly to make sure that we didn’t get to the Olde Bakery too late to get our Santa-approved cookies and reindeer treats.  The shopping at Palmer’s, Taylor’s, and the rest of the stores was just an added bonus – really!  It would have been nice to have Violet along with us today, but Chrissy, her sisters, and the other girls in Uncle Adam’s family really are fun to shop with too; and Rowen and I had a blast.

We all had lunch back at Uncle Adam and Aunt Leanne’s, and then Rowen, Ethan, Ehlana, and I had some running around to do; delivering Christmas presents to some of our favorite people.  We had multiple gifts for Naomi, Aiden, and their parents; dropping off the first at Naomi’s home, and the second at the Olde Bakery.  Half of our stops were along Witch Falls Road, and we made our last stop the Inn so we could combine dropping off gifts for the Stones with a hot chocolate and bakery treat snack break.

Rebecca wasn’t happy to hear about Jonathan’s change in social status, but I hope the Christmas gifts that Rowen and I picked out for her, and the bonus holiday hugs, helped a little.  It was another all hands on deck day, so we were able to personally deliver almost all of the gifts we had left; and that was a bonus for me.  Michael was off on his afternoon break, and hanging out somewhere with Tim, so Ethan, Ehlana, and I left our gifts for him with Rebecca on our way out after our little warm-up break.  I was hoping that would help me avoid any teasing from Aunt Leanne about giving Michael a Christmas present; but that was too much to expect; and even being crazy-busy with a house full of family didn’t keep her from hearing all about it from Miranda and Stephanie sometime before or after the Christmas Eve service at church; and then teasing me about it when she and Uncle Adam were over for our bi-yearly Christmas Eve gift exchange.

I’m getting ahead of the story again, so let’s back up a bit.  While we were delivering gifts this afternoon, Mom was free to do a little work, and run a couple of errands.  Dad was finished work for the day by the time we got home from the Inn, and the six of us spent the rest of the afternoon playing until Rowen needed to meet up with her parents and brother at the store; Mom and Dad started working on dinner; Ethan and Ehlana supervised them; and I went upstairs to grab a shower and get ready early for the Christmas Eve service so I could take care of Ethan and Ehlana after we ate and cleaned up.

I’d picked up several dresses for Christmas, and had saved my favorite for tonight.  Let’s not discuss what Aunt Leanne had to say, and just note that I was very happy with how I looked tonight.  By the time Ehlana and I were finished playing dress-up, she looked beautiful too; and Ethan was very handsome in the coordinating outfit Mom had picked out for him to go with Ehlana’s dress.  The only thing I need to say about how beautiful Mom was tonight is that she and Dad were the last to be ready to leave; and we won’t write about why they were running late.

We did make it to church on time, and Grandma and Grandpa had saved us seats.  The sanctuary was full again tonight, and though I heard a few kids complaining about going to three services in two days; I loved being there, celebrating Christ’s birth, with the people I love the most.  Tonight’s service was quiet and subdued compared to the teen Christmas concert, and it was also heart-warming, simple, and beautiful.  The Pastors told the Christmas story, with the musical performances and carols woven in so it was almost a Christmas cantata.

There wasn’t a reception after the service, but it did take us quite a while to make our way out of the sanctuary again while sharing Christmas best wishes and embraces with our friends and neighbors before heading home again.  Grandma and Grandpa came over straight from church too, but Uncle Adam and Aunt Leanne needed to go home and get things settled there first before joining us.  The bonus for me with that was having Aunt Leanne too busy to start on teasing me about Michael while we were still in public.

Before we go on, though I’d really rather skip writing about that whole thing, let’s air out Aunt Leanne’s Christmas fun at my expense.  First of all, I gave Michael several contemporary and jazz saxophone music books; not books on, or about, sax.  For anyone who has played a school instrument, the custom, padded neck strap should be an obvious good gift idea; and does not subconsciously suggest anything.  No, I did not ‘pre-soften’ the reeds, Aunt Leanne, and I really wish you hadn’t continued down that thought-path for anywhere near as long as you did.  Maybe next year, I’ll stick with something safe – like video games; though I’m sure Aunt Leanne would still find a way to turn anything I do into a matchmaking opportunity.

Enough of that.  While we were waiting for Uncle Adam and Aunt Leanne, Mom, Dad, and I put snacks and drinks together while Ethan and Ehlana kept Grandma and Grandpa entertained.  We were all in the living room and settled in by a little after ten o’clock; and I played Santa and handed out the gifts being exchanged between Uncle Adam, Aunt Leanne, and the rest of us.  I loved the clothes and jewelry that Uncle Adam and Aunt Leanne gave me – even with Aunt Leanne’s suggestions about how Michael would react to seeing me in the soft sweater, blouse, and pants.  I didn’t need to be told that the blue sapphires in the earrings were not a coincidence, but they’re beautiful; and maybe Michael won’t ever find out that my Aunt picked them out for me with him in mind.

My favorite part of the evening was watching Ethan and Ehlana open their gifts – both the ones that they’d be able to show off in public; and the gifts that were more appropriate to their actual abilities.  Uncle Adam probably picked out the new microscopes and the big science lab kit, while Aunt Leanne took care of the toys and clothes.  It’s too bad that we can’t show off the pictures and videos of Ethan and Ehlana doing science experiments and checking out some slides that Uncle Adam had made up for them to play with in their microscopes.  I can hardly wait to see them in action after the lab is built and opens!

We didn’t really have enough time together before Uncle Adam and Aunt Leanne needed to get home again, and Grandma and Grandpa were ready to get started on their one more sleep ‘til Christmas.  Ethan and Ehlana were in bed by eleven-thirty, and I’ve been cuddling with Mandy since midnight.  Mom and Dad should be nearly finished with their end of playing Santa, so I’m going to wrap this up; get my things ready to take downstairs; and hopefully get around to a short Christmas nap by one-thirty or so.

Say ‘merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night’.

“Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!”