Heirs of the Magi News Flash!

***Heirs of the Magi News Flash!*** All of your favorite Magi Masters will be staying close to home as we head into summer! For Cassie and Michael, while their work will continue from home too, they will also be helping their best friends with getting ready for their wedding and moving into their new home - along with all of the other adventures ahead of them with family and friends! You will not want to miss out on all of the fun as life in Witch Falls heats up right along with the summer weather; so... ...Visit Witch Falls often to keep up with all of their latest stories; and Happy Reading!

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Cassie's Journal - October 13, 2012


Before I get to today’s report, I’d like to point out, yet again, that I’m only ELEVEN.  Violet didn’t verbally answer me when I asked her about the dance set-up last night; but her expression made it clear that she, Stephanie, and Aunt Leanne were all in on that little matchmaking moment.  Yes, I’ve occasionally been complicit in other matchmaking efforts, but not with any eleven-year olds; and though Violet was set-up with Dillon for that March Break dance; I had nothing to do with that at all.  The ‘shoe on the other foot’ argument does not apply here.

I started with that to get it out of my system, but also because that’s about where my day started and ended.  The only difference between this morning and tonight is that I was dry this morning – at least I was when talking about it with Violet when she, Rowen, and I were getting ready for the day between Tai Chi and breakfast.

The rain did come off and on today, but there were a few times when it was coming down hard – once this morning; again late in the afternoon; and one last blast of extreme wetness tonight.  We were still at home when the first little storm rolled through this morning, but we got a bit wet before we could take cover this afternoon; and those of us who did not get a ride with Ethan and Ehlana in the van when we left the dance got soaked during our walk home.  Rowen and I were in that second group, but I’m jumping ahead again, so let’s wander back to this morning.

The morning rain storm made for a later-than-planned start to our day at the fall festival, but that worked out better for everyone except the people actually working there.  When we did get to the park, with the ‘we’ including Grandma, Grandpa, Uncle Adam, Aunt Leanne, and Dillon; we started out with a tour of all of the exhibit and event pavilions.  Ethan and Ehlana especially loved the puppet and kid’s music shows; the talent contest; and the displays of everything from prize-winning giant pumpkins to baking and crafts of all kinds.  By the time we made it to the midway, the rides were mostly dried off, and we were able to play for nearly an hour before the next round of rain showers moved through.

That was pretty much how the rest of the day went for us – switching between playing outside and hiding in pavilions whenever it rained.  Rowen and I spent the morning with Ethan, Ehlana, and our favorite grown-ups, but were on our own from after lunch until dinnertime.  The twins took Mom and Dad home for an afternoon nap so they’d all be ready for another evening at the festival, but we had a big group together for dinner that included Naomi and her parents; Uncle Nick and Aunt Deborah; and the Drapers.

More festival food, shows, rides, and games kept us busy until the dance started, and it was then that the weirdness resumed for Rowen and me.  The top news stories for Grade Seven students were that Tim and Nora were officially a couple, while word among the girls was that Vanessa had given up on Michael, and was now in search of a brighter, more mature guy.  Since Michael was currently the only unattached boy in our grade at our school; that meant looking in the direction of visiting guys of appropriate age, or the few single boys in Rebecca and Jenny’s class.  Since we saw her dance with several boys tonight, I’d say that Vanessa is well on the way to being over her disappointment with Michael not being all she wanted him to be.

This is the point where I’ll mention that I really wish she’d waited a bit longer before giving up on him.  You probably don’t need more than one guess to know why.  That’s right, my dear Aunt Leanne orchestrated a second set-up at the dance tonight, and even worse; she recruited Miranda for her co-conspirator.  I’ll give Dad the benefit of the doubt, since he looked as surprised as I was when Miranda smoothly made the partner switch.  So there we were, dancing again for the second time in two nights, and I’m stuck playing my usual cheery self so I don’t hurt Michael; when what I’d like to do is find anywhere else to be so my favorite matchmakers can’t continue to put me in these situations.

At least it was more than half-way through the dance by then, though it had been shortly after the Stones got to the dance after closing the Inn for the night.  I’m sure Aunt Leanne continued to look for other opportunities, but I was a lot more careful after that, and Rowen helped keep me out of any matchmaking trouble for the rest of the dance too.  That pretty much brings us back around to the wet walk home.  Aunt Leanne and Uncle Adam were with Rowen and me; and we had Stephanie, Jake, and the rest of his family with us as far as the Stone’s house.  Violet and Dillon got the last two spots in the minivan, according to Aunt Leanne, because she didn’t want to be responsible for ruining their cuddle time because of being too wet.

It was because Aunt Leanne was there that I included Michael in my part of the quick round of goodnight hugs we shared before they all went into their house, but my attempt to keep her from teasing me if I hadn’t hugged him too didn’t work out.  She instead teased me about not kissing him goodnight too until Rowen and I were able to escape at my house while Aunt Leanne and Uncle Adam continued on to their place.  I’ll pretend that I don’t know what they’ve been doing to get warmed up and dry.

Rowen and I both wanted to get warmed up too, but we took turns doing that in my Jacuzzi, so we weren’t dry until after our baths.  Mandy kept me company while Rowen took her turn in the bathroom first, and then she cuddled with Rowen while I was in the tub.  We thought about watching a movie once I was ready for bed too, but decided to just cuddle in bed with Mandy and do a little repeat of last night’s telepathic chat and computing.  We spent a little time talking about the kid and teen news of the day, and about whether there was anything I could do short of using a little Magi power to keep Aunt Leanne from continuing her matchmaking efforts, but mostly we just talked about the best parts of our day – which had turned out to be a lot of fun despite the rain and occasional weird moments.

There’s still one more day of festival to go, and we’re going to call it a night now so we’ll be ready for another blast of fun before we need to get back to the real world again on Monday.

Say ‘goodnight, Cassie’.

“Goodnight, Cassie.”